After WOT run car won't run, with really rough idle

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I just took the car out today and decided to go out and do a couple WOT pulls in it since I haven't drove it in a month so as I'm coming home I decided to go full throttle in 3rd gear one more time I hit 6500 rpms and shut her down well when the rpms came back down the rpms dropped to 400-500 rpm and I gave it throttle and nothing so I pulled over and it's idling really rough wouldn't die or anything just idle and I would shut it off start it back up and starts fine just really rough idle and I'd give it sum throttle and nothing would happen. I got under it and checked it out I couldn't see anything wrong, fuel pressure was at normal, oil pressure normal, I just fueled it up, any ideas what the issue could be? Il post a video of it idling today

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Throttle butterflies opening up? Did your tb wiring plug come loose? Are the butterflies stuck?

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I pulled both plugs that go on the throttle body and hooked them up again no go, I'm running Cmdp so no, I'm running an f1a procharger 22 psi, built motor, cams, heads, triple pump return fuel system, e85, frpp 62 mm throttle body.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I just took the car out today and decided to go out and do a couple WOT pulls in it since I haven't drove it in a month so as I'm coming home I decided to go full throttle in 3rd gear one more time I hit 6500 rpms and shut her down well when the rpms came back down the rpms dropped to 400-500 rpm and I gave it throttle and nothing so I pulled over and it's idling really rough wouldn't die or anything just idle and I would shut it off start it back up and starts fine just really rough idle and I'd give it sum throttle and nothing would happen. I got under it and checked it out I couldn't see anything wrong, fuel pressure was at normal, oil pressure normal, I just fueled it up, any ideas what the issue could be? Il post a video of it idling today

You blew a coupler off. Check them all. Sometimes they will still look hooked up but won't be. It could also be a vacuum line.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
You talking about the intercooler pipes? I looked a little bit but Il have to get under the car later to inspect it right, we're should I look if it is a vacuum leak?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You talking about the intercooler pipes? I looked a little bit but Il have to get under the car later to inspect it right, we're should I look if it is a vacuum leak?

Yes. Check all the couplings. A vacuum leak would be one of the vacuum lines.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Wasn't thinking when I posted that lol Il check it all out tomorrow and report back

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Well I checked all the piping and they were all on right checked for vacuum leaks didn't find any, I even took off the frpp throttle body and put the stock one on and it still runs like crap, I'm Gunna pull the plugs tomorrow and check them out . It it threw 2 codes one was p2197 and the p2195 lean condition. I don't no what else to look for the throttle does not work at all I push it down and stays the same. I'm Gunna replace the fuel filter also . Any other ideas?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Definitely a vacuum leak somewhere. If you can't hear it then try a smoke test. A stick of incense works great. Or spray some brake cleaner around the intake area while it's idling, the change in rpm will lead you to the leak.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Well I checked all the piping and they were all on right checked for vacuum leaks didn't find any, I even took off the frpp throttle body and put the stock one on and it still runs like crap, I'm Gunna pull the plugs tomorrow and check them out . It it threw 2 codes one was p2197 and the p2195 lean condition. I don't no what else to look for the throttle does not work at all I push it down and stays the same. I'm Gunna replace the fuel filter also . Any other ideas?

Did you physically move the couplers or see if they will move? They can look like they are hooked up but still be leaking air. I'm guessing that you blew one off after the maf. The maf isn't sensing all the air that's being sucked into the motor causing a lean condition. That's my guess anyway.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
There's no reaction when you press the gas pedal down? I'm with Bruce and Skwerl that it sounds like a vacuum leak but it's odd if it doesn't open the throttle when you press the pedal.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I jacked up the car, pulled on all the pipes and checked the maf sensor, but I'm running out of day light and I don't have brake fluid so Il buy some tonight and check for vacuum leaks tomorrow, and I'm Gunna go ahead and remove all the hose clamps make sure all the pipes are in then re clamp them.
It just doesn't make sense why the throttle isn't working at all

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
You guys are kicking my ass on this post lol my fault I need to pay more attention to what I'm writing lol.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does sound like a massive vacuum leak but its odd the throttle isn't working. So the car doesn't rev at all? No check engine or limp mode lights?

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Just checked vacuum leaks with brake cleaner still nothing. No the car won't rev at all just throws the p2197 code that's it, it just idles at 400 rpms and if I hit the gas it usually dies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back