air filter

cdavila

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals i have a question for you S197 gurus, first let me say this site is great and needed for the new stangs, anyway my question if i put a K&N filter would i need a tune for it also is it worth any pmprovement.

I know a CAI and tune would be best however right now i am on workmans comp after surgery for a herniated disc which i got at work and am not makeing my full salary, i did run out and install a Mac axle back before the surgery so any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated, thanks.:rock:

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The K&N CAI unit that is made for the S197 does not require a tune.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=63-2565

However, if you're going to lay out the bucks for a CAI, get a good one (Steeda, C&L, etc.) and also get yourself a custom dyno tune. You won't be disappointed, plus it will provide more flexibility as you decide to continue modding (and that will happen when you get the mod bug!)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-mustang-air-intakes.html?gclid=CO2rxMeKhZICFQF-lgodFFul-A

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
If you're on a budget, I would just hold off on buying the K&N. You won't see anywhere near the gains you would with buying another one that's packaged with a tune. You'll just end up buying something else, and paying for it all over again. Sometimes it's a good idea to save for the better part than settle for an inferior one.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
If you're on a budget, I would just hold off on buying the K&N. You won't see anywhere near the gains you would with buying another one that's packaged with a tune. You'll just end up buying something else, and paying for it all over again. Sometimes it's a good idea to save for the better part than settle for an inferior one.
+1...

No reason to do it twice. The worst money spent is that which you regret later.

cdavila

forum member
Reaction score
True it will just be less i have to come up with later i guess i will hold off, the 22nd the mustang club i am in here in austin has rented a drag strip for the day, and its only 20.00 for us to run all day.:clap:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
When I got my SCT livewire I loaded the 93 tune and it felt awesome. I felt a big difference between that tune and the stock one. I finally got around to putting on my JLTII and loaded the appropriate tune. There was no difference between when I had my cold air on and when I was using the factory intake, both running with the 93 octane tune.

On that note, I don't see anything wrong with getting the panel filter and running the the 93 tune, at least at NON forced induction levels anyway. The tune is really what makes all the difference, not the CAI.

Back