Alignment Question

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I had an alignment performed yesterday and on the advice of a couple of local S197 autocrossers, requested 1/16th of an inch of toe-out on the front wheels.

At the time of the alignment, the printer was not working so the technician showed me the specs on the computer screen. Each side was
-0.16, so I thought it was dead on. Later in the day I realized 1/16th as a decimal is 0.0625 and I really got about 1/6th of an inch of toe-out.

Do you think that this much toe-out would cause premature/uneven tire wear? Or should it be ok? Camber is -1.8 degrees.

Flash_of_Yellow

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they report those numbers in degrees, not distance. Therefore your -0.16 is actually -0.16 degrees.

Doing the math, and assuming you have a 27" diameter tire.. with the adjustment in degrees the front and rear were both moved 0.038" in opposite directions. Meaning the front of the tire is actually 0.076" outside of the rear edge if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they report those numbers in degrees, not distance. Therefore your -0.016 is actually -0.016 degrees.

Doing the math, and assuming you have a 27" diameter tire.. with the adjustment in degrees the front and rear were both moved 0.0038" in opposite directions. Meaning the front of the tire is actually 0.0076" outside of the rear edge if that makes any sense.

You're right, I just found out that the specs are in degress, and I did get the 1/16th of an inch of toe-out that I wanted.

Thanks for your input.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
I think you'll be fine.

i run 1/8th toe out and -2.5* camber and drive my car on the street daily to every other day... tire wear is decent i'd say, i also do alot of spirited backroading as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back