All 4 02 sensors the same?

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I ordered 4 new O2 sensor for ThaBeast, it says in the description 2 upstream & 2 downstream but they are all the same. Buddy told me the back 2 should be different than front bcz of heating up. Is this true, did I screw up, or are they all the same sensor?
upload_2023-2-9_15-55-39.png
upload_2023-2-9_15-56-8.png
upload_2023-2-9_15-56-30.jpeg

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
the Bosch o2 sensors are only 1 part number apart, the fronts are 15717 and the rears are 15716. They are both 4 wire narrow band heated sensors. The only difference I see is the upstream sensors has a longer wire on the Bosch units. Yours look like they're the same length. Are all the part numbers on the sensors the same?

JC SSP

Reaction score
the Bosch o2 sensors are only 1 part number apart, the fronts are 15717 and the rears are 15716. They are both 4 wire narrow band heated sensors. The only difference I see is the upstream sensors has a longer wire on the Bosch units. Yours look like they're the same length. Are all the part numbers on the sensors the same?

You are correct. Sensors is the same (4 wire heated) its the length of the wire.

Per RockAuto:
DELPHI ES20316 Info
Fits Downstream; with 270mm Overall Length
or Upstream; with 270mm Overall Length

I am not familiar with that "Global Automotive" brand? I would only use Motocraft, Bosch. etc. I never skimp on sensors...

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I second this, I usually use only Motorcraft sensors and filters on my mustang and super duty. Bosch makes a lot of (most I think) oem o2 sensors, so it's basically the same thing.

07 Boss

Reaction score
This is what I have ended up with while struggling with sensors and tuning and codes. Originally our cars came with two different sensors. Then at some time Ford changed the spec and used the same sensors for replacement of either the front or the rear. I don't know what the difference is but I ended up ordering the original different part numbers from NGK respectively for the front and rear. Since then I haven't had any issues. Now this is what I figure. If your car is pretty stock you should be OK. If your car has been through some extensive modifying and tuning I think the slight difference may make a difference. Now this is totally anecdotal and have no empirical evidence that this is so, just sharing my struggle with some intermittent lean codes and different sensors.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
All 4 sensors are Motorcraft, Global Automotive is just who sold them. All the sensors have the same numbers/writing on them. Makes sense about the wires just being longer for up & down stream. Cars turbo’d, cammed, far from stock so I agree I better get the right one’s lol

FredB66

Reaction score
I have the Bosch sensors front and rear. They are all the same except for the cable lengths. I picked mine to install with my LTHs without using extension cables. Here's the different Bosch flavors. The length is the overall measurement, not just the cable.
15716 - 11 13/16
15717 - 16 5/8
15718 - 20 1/8
15719 - 25 3/16

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
the oem o2's reached just fine after my LTH install. Good thing they make different lengths though for those applications where your stock ones won't work

Laga

Reaction score
the oem o2's reached just fine after my LTH install. Good thing they make different lengths though for those applications where your stock ones won't work
They make extensions so use can use original sensors when going to LTHs.

Laga

Reaction score
This is what I have ended up with while struggling with sensors and tuning and codes. Originally our cars came with two different sensors. Then at some time Ford changed the spec and used the same sensors for replacement of either the front or the rear. I don't know what the difference is but I ended up ordering the original different part numbers from NGK respectively for the front and rear. Since then I haven't had any issues. Now this is what I figure. If your car is pretty stock you should be OK. If your car has been through some extensive modifying and tuning I think the slight difference may make a difference. Now this is totally anecdotal and have no empirical evidence that this is so, just sharing my struggle with some intermittent lean codes and different sensors.
When my downstream O2 sensor went out a couple of months ago on my 05, I did a lot reading on older forum posts. It was always recommended to use the NGK/NTK sensors in 05-07 models for some reason.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
They make extensions so use can use original sensors when going to LTHs.

Didn't need them. OEM upstream o2s reached perfectly with my long tubes.

I'd rather buy an O2 sensor with a longer pigtail than put an extension in there. Extra connections are a potential failure point.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back