Alternator voltage regulator wiring question

1/4MILEMUSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
Im putting a gt super car motor in an 05 gt and had to use a alternator from a 98 cobra on it because I had to turn the alternator 180* and rotate it backwards. According to the wiring diagrams im looking at the YE-LB from the 5 goes back to the pcm where as the WH-BLK loops back to the positive post of the alternator. Anyone have ideas on how this should be wired? Thanks in advance!

G.T

Reaction score
i honestly don't think they're interchangeable.
i know the S197 uses an analog frequency over GENCOM/GENMON to communicate with the regulator

the 2005 wiring harness would have a 3 pin regulator connector wired as follows:
Pin #1 (Yellow) - GENMON - Generator Monitor Circuit - goes to PCM Connector (C175e) Pin #5
Pin #2 (Yellow/Light Blue) - GENCOM - Generator Communication - goes to PCM connector (C175e) Pin #13
Pin #3 (Orange/Light Blue) - Hot at all times, used for overload protection - Goes to BEC Connector (C1035b) Pin #C9

the 1998 Cobra wiring harness would have a 3 pin regulator connector (C154) wired as follows:
Pin #1 (Yellow/White) goes to a 20A fuse
Pin #2 (White/Black) Regulator sense (if i remember correctly this plugs back behind the cobra alternator)
Pin #3 (Light Green/Red) Goes to the instrument cluster (Warning light) and is turns hot with ignition to "excite" the alternator

G.T

Reaction score
well? how?
did anything i posted above help out in any way?

1/4MILEMUSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
well? how?
did anything i posted above help out in any way?

I pretty much just took a chance and guessed at how it needed to be wired. I ended up connecting the orange(hot at all times) to the alternator yellow/white and the alternators green/red to an ignition hot. the gen com and genmon we just capped off which i figured would cause the info module to pop up a charging system problem on the read out but it hasnt popped anything up yet.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back