Alternator went now car is hesitating..help

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
2010 alternator is better and fits no issues on a 2008? interesting.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
2010 alternator is better and fits no issues on a 2008? interesting.
Yes. The 2010 is a denso, which is a much better design than the Ford 6g on the 2008. The Mitsubishi from the police interceptors fits on naturally aspirated cars with a little tweaking and puts out 215 amps

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I believe the b+ has to be turned to fit under the intake manifold, and you would need a larger power wire. 0 gauge would work

You have to remove plastic power lead, not rotate it. It's not even clockable although I modded mine to do so but even clocking the power lead it it's a no go. I got rid of the power lead altogether and used a plastic spacer/washer and mounted the heavy power wire directly to the stud that the power lead bolts to. It's been working GREAT!

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
You have to remove plastic power lead, not rotate it. It's not even clockable although I modded mine to do so but even clocking the power lead it it's a no go. I got rid of the power lead altogether and used a plastic spacer/washer and mounted the heavy power wire directly to the stud that the power lead bolts to. It's been working GREAT!
That alternator is bad ass man. I've never seen anything anywhere near that size run for so long and put out so many amps. Good stuff.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I don't believe my issue is the alternator anymore. I think there is a short somewhere. Car runs but is very choppy under throttle. If I ease in smooth but under acceleration sputters. Now I know electrical bc no codes. Data log showed nothing and after about 50 miles the volts shoot up and check charging system comes on. Something is just wacky there and cannot find it.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Well after more research o found another guy with exact issue. Turned out to be a bad ground. Going to clean grounds and also as a ground from alternator to battery ground and hopefully problem solved! We will see tomorrow

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks brother! After all the research tonight and from what ive found it seems this is most likely it! Fingers crossed

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Well after more research o found another guy with exact issue. Turned out to be a bad ground. Going to clean grounds and also as a ground from alternator to battery ground and hopefully problem solved! We will see tomorrow

Sure would be nice if it was that simple, the Mk1 Focus had all sorts of grounding issues but I see very, very few with Mustangs.

-Steve

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought it but when I was told too many volts usually points to a bad ground if alternator checks out i did a search on 06 Mustang bad ground. And literally found people with exact same symptoms. I mean exact, down to being rougher at cold start. It's a simple enough solution to try so fingers are crossed. Cleaning the existing grounds then as per suggested running an additional ground from alternator to battery ground. Should take care of the over voltage and give me a heathy 3V again. I hope. I also hope if that's a the case this thread can help others in future!

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok cleaned the the ground connections except for one on the block and also ran a ground from the alt to the battery ground. Def seems better and when we tested volts at battery we were at 14.1
Car still hesitating and missing when i get on it though but def much better. Going to remove after market radio and udp and go from there. Also going to check coil packs ans plugs now.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago to buy new OEM parts only. Alternators, starters, batteries. It's saved me a lot of headache! Nothing worse than replacing every part in the car when for instance the starter is new - and finding out it's your starter that's bad.

I actually found that batteries from Ford were among the least expensive.....believe it or not.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Motorcraft batteries are great value for money as well because they're really well made, we see very few warranty issues with these batteries.

-Steve

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Where are the grounds on the 05-09? I found the one from block to firewall on drivers side and battery to strut tower. I heard there is also one under car to frame from block. Anyone know?? Thanks

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
There is a ground on the passenger side hood hinge.
I only know because I shorted and melted it when the terminals connected when i was trying to bump start my RC car lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back