Another built 3v issue..

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Hope this is in the right section..So yesterday me and a group of car dare i say...where street racing on the interstate. Ran a C5 fr500 with a ls7 swap. Beat it twice..came up to the third run and pushed it way more than it should of. At the end of the race i see smoke coming out the back. Pulled over right away and towed it home. Took out all the plugs and they all looked fine. As i took out the second plug on the driver side coolant comes out. I see coolant in my oil as well by the looks of my dipstick... It was leaking coolant from my driver side manifold as well. So its internal, i dont see any cracks on the block or heads. What you you guys think it is? Bad head gasket? Cracked head or block in the inside? I have arp studs, i think they are to long to lift the head off with out hitting something.. anyone have any ideas? Id really hate to take the motor out again and move all the pipes.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Huh...it takes a good bit to blow one of these head gaskets but that sounds like it; what year car? How much boost were you on when it went?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sounds like the head needs to come off regardless. Hopefully it's just the head gasket. A compression test will likely tell you which cylinder.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
on the driver side facing the motor, it was the second one. that cyl,when i took the spark plug out the chamber where the spark plug sits in and the coil boot immediately fill up with coolant. i guess ill begin the tear down. could this of damage any of the rotating assembly in any way?
Sounds like the head needs to come off regardless. Hopefully it's just the head gasket. A compression test will likely tell you which cylinder.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If there was no knocking and you shut it off right away I'd think you could very well not have any lower end damage. As long as nothing broke then any lower end damage would only be from lack of lubrication due to coolant in the oil, or scoring caused by contaminants in the oil.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There is a good chance it is a gasket. If the head warps even a tiny bit due to eneven torque it is a possibility. Or if the deck or head surface aren't properly finished.

I'm hoping it's a gasket anyway. Long pulls seem to be the doom for turbos.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
There is a good chance it is a gasket. If the head warps even a tiny bit due to eneven torque it is a possibility. Or if the deck or head surface aren't properly finished.

I'm hoping it's a gasket anyway. Long pulls seem to be the doom for turbos.
I was in 4th gear alittle longer than i should of been. Im sure the mph needle was at 150 for a while. As soon as i let off is when the smoke came out which was coolant burning. thanks, i feel better about the situation.

If there was no knocking and you shut it off right away I'd think you could very well not have any lower end damage. As long as nothing broke then any lower end damage would only be from lack of lubrication due to coolant in the oil, or scoring caused by contaminants in the oil.
yup no knocking, took it out of gear, exited the free way right away, coasted into a parking lot and waited for a tow truck. Just sucks tjat this happened but from what yall are saying its not toooo bad. It is a relief hearing 4 ppl saying it sounds like a head gasket.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Hopefully it's only the head gasket that was hurt and the head/block surfaces aren't warped. The no.1 cause is detonation in a FI engine so you'll probably have to either revise the tune or lower the boost.

IndyEric

forum member
Reaction score
long pulls and high rpm kills forced induction motors unless they are bullet proof, hopefully it is just the gasket

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
long pulls and high rpm kills forced induction motors unless they are bullet proof, hopefully it is just the gasket
yeah i took it into 4th pretty deep, much longer than iv ever have. guess all the pressure i had built up just found away out.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
5.0 stoker kit. 11:1. manley h beams, kellogg crank, manley pistion 2816,stock heads. fellpro head gasket, arp studs.
Man really sucks to hear. What motor/heads were you running and how much power?
18psi dyno at 700.98 640tq but i was on 275's and spun abit on the dyno.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
That's the same cylinder (#6) that I've seen blown on a different 3v, but with less boost.

+1 on the head gasket.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
With that said, it sounds like a blown head gasket or a cracked head. Pull the head, and either issue should be obvious. And go find a drag strip.

Last edited by a moderator:

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
Update: lifted the head a bit cause of the arp studs dont allow me to take it off all the way. I saw a crack where the cool jackets are on the block on chamber #6. Guess thats it for the block? The walls and pistons look great.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Update: lifted the head a bit cause of the arp studs dont allow me to take it off all the way. I saw a crack where the cool jackets are on the block on chamber #6. Guess thats it for the block? The walls and pistons look great.

Can't you take the studs out and pull the head?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back