Any welders (school, job, hobby)

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
As the title states, do you even weld bro?! No seriously for fun, school, occupation?

I started GMAW at about 9 years old and used it a lot and built those skills up, played with SMAW every now and then. Got to school about a month ago and well obviously that's what they start you with. 6010's and 7018's. 1G and 2G no problem, got to 3G yesterday.. struggling lol. I can't get comfortable in the little booths we have with horrible fixtures that don't stay put very well.

Anyways, I figured we could use this thread as a helpful tool for anyone that wants to know more, learn and maybe even help with their occurrences while welding.

I have a ton of pictures from class I take and then go home and show my father (AWS/Cert) so he can tell me what I'm doing wrong or right lol. So I will post some up later on in the day and through out the length of the class.

Post yours up too! Whether it's job, project, mustang parts, etc! Even though I have been doing it a while, I always enjoy learning and I learn something new everyday with it, rule number 1: make it fun, rule number 2: if you can't make it fun or get frustrated, hang it up and come back the next day.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Did quite a bit of welding for my capstone project in school. Mostly MIG with mild steel, but also did some TIG with aluminim.

I'm okay at it, certainly nothing to brag about. I'm fine building carts and frames for stuff, but it takes me forever and my set up and jigs have to be immaculate.

It's certainly a skill I would like to improve. Maybe even take some classes on.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
My brother is a welder by trade. I've got a little flux core welder in the garage I use for repairs of stuff when necessary. I've played with some other stuff though, tig, mig, robotic orbital tig (old job I worked at).

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I want to learn. Plan on picking up a Hobart 140 at some point next year so I can do some sheet metal repair work on an old Beetle I bought last year.

saleenman

forum member
Reaction score
I'm always impressed with what some welders do. I wish I could be good at it. But I am only sub-par.

Who am I kidding.

I am not even a quasi sub-par welder. Just wish.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
lol that's pretty funny, I don't consider myself the best, but it is a good feeling when everyone else in class is always asking you questions on this or that, all I tell them is practice practice practice. It's the only way you get better, of course some questions need another practical answer.

But really man, under the hood time is where you get that "golden arm"

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Here are the few I could find on my phone at the moment.

1G 6010/1G 7018
78feecb59a42f936b4a60e03c9640114.jpg

Another 1G 7018
dd27e2e01d421853dceecd12d9021f68.jpg

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Welding is awesome! LOL

I have a day job where I sit at a desk or in meetings pretty much the whole day, and I never get to work with my hands, which I really enjoy doing. So I decided to take a couple of night classes to learn to weld, pretty much just for fun and as a hobby, and I must say it is certainly a skill that takes talent, patience, and practice. But man, when you lay down a pretty weld, the proverbial "stack of dimes" it feels sooooooo good!

I haven't burned any metel in a while, so I'd defintely need to get under the hood some before I could lay any passes that would be close to pic worthy! LOL

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i weld for work. im working on getting my gasline x-ray certs currently.

Last edited:

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
i weld for work. im working on getting my gasline x-ray certs currently.

That's awesome man! I finally got my niche for 3G burning 1/8" 6010 on 3/8" flat plate tonight. Wasn't doing horrible from the start but wasn't up to what I wanted, finally got back in the groove after 5 years of not doing any type of stick since.

What all is involved with those certifications?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
g/f at the time (wife now) bought me a Hobart a few years ago when I wanted to do a project on my '66 Mustang.

Floor pans, subframe connectors, and Shelby style traction bars were added. Learned as I went. Started with the sheet metal, haha

Have used it off and on with car projects, repairs around the house, building things, etc. Love it.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
g/f at the time (wife now) bought me a Hobart a few years ago when I wanted to do a project on my '66 Mustang.

Floor pans, subframe connectors, and Shelby style traction bars were added. Learned as I went. Started with the sheet metal, haha

Have used it off and on with car projects, repairs around the house, building things, etc. Love it.

That's cool though, self taught and learned kind of like myself except my father made me figure it out lol. I think it makes for better outcome of any of coupon needing welded because most can't just read a book and do it, you need that hands on sort of thing.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
That's awesome man! I finally got my niche for 3G burning 1/8" 6010 on 3/8" flat plate tonight. Wasn't doing horrible from the start but wasn't up to what I wanted, finally got back in the groove after 5 years of not doing any type of stick since.

What all is involved with those certifications?

It depends on what you're trying to certify for. I'm doing a regular asme section IX. 6" pipe coupon locked in a 6g overhead 45 position. 6010 root pass with 7018 filled out.
Woven cap on top and no arc strikes outside the weld area allowed. Then sent out for x-ray, and if there's more than 2 mm of inclusions or questionable area, the weld fails.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
It depends on what you're trying to certify for. I'm doing a regular asme section IX. 6" pipe coupon locked in a 6g overhead 45 position. 6010 root pass with 7018 filled out.
Woven cap on top and no arc strikes outside the weld area allowed. Then sent out for x-ray, and if there's more than 2 mm of inclusions or questionable area, the weld fails.

well I knew that much lol, just not the specifics on that type of cert. sounds like a fun time though!

claudermilk

Reaction score
I took a night class to learn enough for a project car. My welds look like shit, but do join the two pieces of metal together. Nothing pic-worthy. It's also been a while, so I'd need some practice before doing anything I'd need to trust.

The nice thing with the class is they start you off with basic oxy-acetylene, then move you to stick, then to MIG. Forces you to get competent on the PITA methods before using the easier equipment.

mattadams6552

forum member
Reaction score
Im a weld engineer and Im over the welding of 50 robotic welders for JCI Lexington. Its all GMAW. I hand weld every chance i get. Ive really been doing a lot of tig welding in my free time.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I just screw around and dont weld enough anymore. I have a little Eastwood TIG200 that is enough for just about any motorsports item.

A little rusty after not welding for a while, got it a little more hot that I would have liked.
1204b7605cf48ddcb364438f9a78ec6c.jpg

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome man! I made this thread before I got the job I currently have, which is a welder/fabricator for a big machine shop. I get to weld everything and anything. It's really helped me sharpen my skills as a welder.

I just finished up some swivels for the steel mill a few days ago! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419099195.188731.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The local vo tech has a 10 class hobby welding offering for $400. I might do that this spring. If I could learn enough to weld exhaust pipe, could play around with hotside of turbo some.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
That's awesome! You should definitely do it! Since I last posted here my progress at work has been crazy!

Here is some of the stuff I've done. Most of what I do is SMAW stainless with 316 rod, some GTAW, and a whole lot of GMAW.

Some work for DOT, doing asphalt shields for the back of their dump trucks. All hand made, no print. So I got to come up with it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423887119.651206.jpg

Stainless tubing brackets. 304 welded with 316 Electrodes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423887195.573414.jpg

Piping for the local paper mill again with 316 electrodes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423887251.567009.jpg

Again more stainless with 316 lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423887291.706512.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423887318.135367.jpg

The more I do it the more I begin to like it. I never hated it, but wasn't use to the flow and lay out of the rod. Now to me it feels like a standard 7018, that's what I feel its most comparable too for the most part.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back