anyone have an intermittent leak at their clutch line?

moooosestang

Reaction score
So i either cracked the elbow, which i'd expect it to leak all the time or i got a piece of sand in there causing the oring not to seal completely. I suppose the elbow is deforming some when it gets hot is also a possibility. I could have damaged the o-ring too. Ford doesn't sell just the elbow which is bullshit! I can't get the thing to leak when it's up in the air. It only leaks after driving it and not every time!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before spending any money i'm going to pop the line off and inspect it, clean the elbow and put it all back together without getting dirt in it hopefully. clutch works fine inspite of this random nuisance.elbow.jpg

Last edited:

moooosestang

Reaction score
Also i can draw a vacuum on the master cylinder, pump the clutch a thousand times and never lose any vacuum, madness!

moooosestang

Reaction score
Waiting for a set of picks and then i'm going to pull that sucker, change the o-ring and put the line into the elbow then put the elbow on the transmission so there is zero chance of dirt getting in there. The o-ring may just be worn. It's the stainless steel line from mcleod or steeda and it's been on the car for a long time.

moooosestang

Reaction score
ughhh! does anyone know what size o-rings the stock line uses? I assum it's the same for aftermarket lines. Can't find my stock line anywhere.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Do yourself a massive favour by getting rid of the stock plastic clutch line altogether and replace it with a braided stainless steel unit.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Do yourself a massive favour by getting rid of the stock plastic clutch line altogether and replace it with a braided stainless steel unit.
I have a braided stainless line. I think the oring is wore out causing a leak if any pressure is put on it. I can not find any information online about the oring size for these things. I was looking for my stock line in the garage to measure the orings, but i think i threw it out.

Last edited:

moooosestang

Reaction score
Everyone and their mother sells a stainless clutch line for the mustangs, but nobody sells the orings. I ordered an assortment of epdm orings and hope one is the right size.

moooosestang

Reaction score
I want to be as transparent as possible so future people don't waste their time. The 010 oring is working so far, but after careful measurement with a pair of digital calipers i believe the oring used on my stainless line is 1.78mm thickness, the 010 size is 1.74mm. I ordered a metric size that is 1.78mm thick and 6.07mm inside diameter. https://www.oringsandmore.com/metric-epdm-70-orings-6-07-x-1-78mm-minimum-25-pcs/

moooosestang

Reaction score
This. Upgrade while you need to have the old one off.
I have either the mcleod or the SR stainless line. It has black anodized fittings on each end. After changing the oring it's still leaking a tiny bit. i ordered a new elbow from LMR so if anyone needs a stock clutch line i'm getting one with my $44 plastic elbow. I could have ordered a $65 plastic elbow with a bleed valve on it, which is equally ridiculous imo. since the stainless line i have is 17 years old and looks like it's putting pressure on the elbow because it doesn't like to bend i said to hell with all this nonsense and ordered the steeda line that has no fittings so it bends easier and can't possibly leak. I wouldn't even have known if it wasn't for my cold start video i made because the car shifts fine. the elbow could be split at the seam. i did catch it between the frame and transmission when putting it back in. Man i miss clutch cables and throttle cables.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back