Anyone interested in a tranny swap this winter??

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a 2005 automatic with about 25k miles on it. I've always wanted a manual and the only real reason I got an automatic was so the wife can drive it. Well now that its boosted she doesn't like driving it anymore so I figure why not try to get a manual in there now. Its winter here now so its the perfect time to swap it out.

I live about 1 hour north of Milwaukee, WI. I'd be willing to drive a ways if someone wants to do the swap. We can discuss the details on the exchange and logistics if anyone is interested.

svtrojan

forum member
Reaction score
If you want a manual trans for cheap, I've got one for sale. See my for sale ad, link in my signature. :thumb2:

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
would love to do the swap but its harder than just droppin and putting in I think u gotta change the computer or something im not really sure just what I hear and if someone could confirm that's the truth or not.

If is that easy I will gradly swap lol

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
It wasn't hard at all I have aprox $700 into parts and ill get some back once I sell some auto things. Op if you have questions feel free to ask.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
would love to do the swap but its harder than just droppin and putting in I think u gotta change the computer or something im not really sure just what I hear and if someone could confirm that's the truth or not.

If is that easy I will gradly swap lol

Yep, been doing lots of research on the subject. I don't plan that I would do the work myself. I would either help out a qualified individual that wanted to do the swap or was thinking of finding a shop to do it for us. The reason I want to do the swap and not just go out and buy a tranny is because the donor cars should have everything needed in them and we won't have to hunt down the little parts.

VectorPat

forum member
Reaction score
I did mine a little over a year ago. If you can change a clutch you can do this swap. You will need to work with your tuner to get your tune right but I think this has been done enough times now that most of the major tuning guys around can do it pretty easily.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I've contacted a couple places to get a quote. So I know about where they should be any of you guys that have done the swap can you give me an estimate on what you think the number of hours involved in this is?

BTW, the one shop that I talked to said its way easier to go from auto to manual than it is to swap a manual for an auto.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
I started at 9:30 sat morning finished close to 7pm. With a 30min lunch break and a trip to ford

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Eddieval5, so a shop is probably going to come back with 15-20 hours labor would be my guess.

I did get one quote back and its not too far off of that for labor.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Guys that did this swap how did you handle the tuning part? Were you able to drive it to a tuner?

VectorPat

forum member
Reaction score
My tuner did mine thru email. If he already has your current tune he should be able to modify it for the manual.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Which transmission did you go with? I'm leaning towards a TR6060 but that magnum xl is an interesting option too its just a little more costly. But if I'm going to do this I want it right the first time.

VectorPat

forum member
Reaction score
I just went with the 3650, both of those trannys were out of my budget. I know at my power level it wont last long but I dont track the car much and when I can afford a better trans the major work is done.

svtrojan

forum member
Reaction score
Which transmission did you go with? I'm leaning towards a TR6060 but that magnum xl is an interesting option too its just a little more costly. But if I'm going to do this I want it right the first time.

If you go with the magnum, you won't regret it :thumb2:

VectorPat

forum member
Reaction score
Just noticed you have a blower, you might have to pull it if you don't have enough room between it and the firewall as you will need to tilt the engine back some for the trans to go into place. My Whipple had a little room and we were able to squeeze it up in there without removing it but it was tight.

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
How is the wiring harness to change I've done the swap in sn95 cars several times but I heard that the wiring harness and engine harness are all in one on 3vs, and that it's a bitch

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back