Anyone running racing fuel in their blower 3V?

Laga

Reaction score
You really can’t compare pump gas to race gas. Totally apples to oranges. And you just can’t dump race gas into the tank (car or bike) without tuning for it. All grades of pump gas contain the same amount of energy, and burn at the same speed and temperature. But with race fuel, not only is the octane different, but the specific gravity and flash point is different. This changes burn speed and temperature, along with resistance to detonation. A good tuner can take these into consideration.

Laga

Reaction score
With the blower on, what is the afr when using E85 ?? My afr gauge only goes as low as 10:1
I just checked. At WOT my A/F ratio was 10.52. At the time of the test, October, the fuel was at 74.3% ethanol according to my digital ethanol gauge. In mid summer, the content will be as high as 83%. I have a E-Force running 8-9 pounds of boost. Lito said with my setup, 50%-55% ethanol was all the octane and cooling the engine needed. This would have meant that I would have to test ethanol content at the pump and try to blend to get the proper % for the tune, or custom blend a supply at home. I did not want to go through this trouble so I installed larger injectors. This prevents the engine going lean with higher ethanol content.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I have heard Ford does all their testing with BP gas. Maybe true and maybe not. Then some Flex Fuel cars have sensors in the gas line to measure Ethanol to Gas ratio which can be from E0 to E100. Last I heard you can go as high as 50/50 mix in any Mustang without any change in tune. A 50/50 mix would be 93+110/2 for about 101 octane. In the Navy I fooled with AV GAS called 115/145. We had an old DC-7 that used this.

Laga

Reaction score
Flex fuel in the USA is from 51%-83%. There is also pure gas, E10 that can contain up to 10% , and E15 that can contain up to 15%. These concentrations can vary but not exceed the limits. All cars and light trucks made after 2001 can burn E15. Modern boats, motorcycles, and small engines are designed for E10. All flex-fuel vehicles have ethanol sensors because of the wide variations. The sensors let the ECM know what’s in the tank and how to adjust tune. A non flex fuel vehicle cannot run normally on a 50/50 mix. Some may run, but it would run poorly.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The wide variations is the fact it's a flex fuel car. This means you can use any combo of fuel from all gas to all ethanol. It is my understanding the Mustang ECU can adjust for up to E50 by the EGT readings alone.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 2011+ have a wideband that reads Lambda so on a N/A combo it may be able to adjust but an 05-10 car is going to go lean.
Your fuel trims might adjust eventually but you'd be better off tuning for it.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Ethanol is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs moisture from the air. The statement that e85 moisture is negligible because it is mixed with gasoline is grossly misleading. Temperature and humidity are the main driving factors in how much moisture is absorbed. No matter how minimal that absorbtion is, it is still adding that moisture to the crankcase and thus your oil. Don’t get me wrong E is a great fuel but requires more scheduled maintenance for a long healthy lifespan on your engine. I didn’t want the maintenance associated as in plugs, and oil changes as I run amsoil so I run non ethanol pump 93 on the street and c16 on track days

Laga

Reaction score
Ethanol is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs moisture from the air. The statement that e85 moisture is negligible because it is mixed with gasoline is grossly misleading. Temperature and humidity are the main driving factors in how much moisture is absorbed. No matter how minimal that absorbtion is, it is still adding that moisture to the crankcase and thus your oil.
For every 1 gallon of pure gasoline you burn, your engine produces 1.033 gallons of water vapor. This happens when the hydrocarbons bond with oxygen from the air under combustion. This water vapor goes into the crankcase too!

JJ427R

Reaction score
I was looking into race fuel and additives a few years ago when I started doing track days and wondered about running race fuel with a Roush m90. I have been told by many not to run race fuel or additives with a blower.
I had checked into the product Race Gas fuel Concentrate, which allows you to mix pump gas up to 105 octane, and they now have Race Gas Ultra which allows you 110-112. I was also told not to mix any stock tuned car above 95 octane. For those of you running race fuel this is a much cheaper option and you may want to look into it?

http://race-gas.com/

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The 2011+ have a wideband that reads Lambda so on a N/A combo it may be able to adjust but an 05-10 car is going to go lean.
Your fuel trims might adjust eventually but you'd be better off tuning for it.
Correct.
As for the 11&up mustangs, unless it is sold as flex fuel vehicle, I would stay away from e85 without a tune. The flex strategy is in the calibration, but it is disabled by default. Success in enabling it in the tune has mixed results. Sometimes it works, sometimes the pcm freaks out at 50% or more ehanol. But yes, generally they can adjust to more than 10% up to 50%.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Yeah - I asked Lito if he thought my injectors and fuel pump could support E85.

E85 is $17.80 a gallon plus tax here.
100 octane race gas is $33.60 a gallon.

16 gallon tank, last about 3 weeks maybe, $537.00 to fill up.

How much is regular pump gas up there?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
How much is regular pump gas up there?

$1.00 a liter for 91 the best available, $4 a gallon - the price is run by cartels and not a product of demand as there's no way in hell there's 3x the demand, even with transport costs figured in, as there is in american states where it's about $1.50 a gallon for 91 (??)

All prices in US dollars.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
$1.00 a liter for 91 the best available, $4 a gallon - the price is run by cartels and not a product of demand as there's no way in hell there's 3x the demand, even with transport costs figured in, as there is in american states where it's about $1.50 a gallon for 91 (??)

yep, 3.785 liters to the gallon! I worked at a Shell station in high school when gas broke $1 per gallon and Shell sold it by the liter thus not having to upgrade all their gas pumps that couldn’t sell gas for over $1 per gallon. Funny that conversion still right in the front of my head.

JJ427R

Reaction score
states where it's about $1.50 a gallon for 91 (??)
Gas here in MN yesterday locally for me for 89 octane was $2.25, went up about 20 cents per gallon after Biden shut down the pipeline. Did not look at price of 91 but it's usually over 30 cent higher than 89, 93 not available much around me.
Just checked and 91 by me today is $2.57.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
gasoline is wayyyy too cheap, I should be paying $10 a gallon - for the product. Plus more tax to pay for the environmental damage.

Flusher

Reaction score
Years ago, when I was at a small airport for light aircraft, like cessna's, they had 2 x grades of aviation fuel, 80 octane..and 100 octane, pick one. I heard stories back in the 80's abt folks using 100 octane ..'AV gas' in their cars. Story I got was av gas was lead free. Dunno what the price is, nor whether it can be used in cars.

The 100 Av gas is Low-Lead. I can get more specifics on it if you want. It's not cat or sensor friendly. I've run a lot of it through my boat and pre-72 muscle cars.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
For every 1 gallon of pure gasoline you burn, your engine produces 1.033 gallons of water vapor. This happens when the hydrocarbons bond with oxygen from the air under combustion. This water vapor goes into the crankcase too!
still isnt enough water to rust the iron armature of standard injectors ( non stainless armatures) as e51+ does. also by your admission, the gas doesnt abosrb it, it is a bi product of combustion. totally different concept with totally different, minimal results. to compare those stats to say a car parked in florida for a month in 70+% humidity is assanine. Alcohol absorbs water, that is just science. I know people have been trying to debunk this theory but these same people probably also believe carbon dioxide can drive air temperature by heating moisture in the air, again basic chemistry. Have you seen the multiple oil analysis' done on pure gas vs eblended gas comparisons ? try looking at this data and then comeback with that arguement.

Last edited:

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
I was looking into race fuel and additives a few years ago when I started doing track days and wondered about running race fuel with a Roush m90. I have been told by many not to run race fuel or additives with a blower.
I had checked into the product Race Gas fuel Concentrate, which allows you to mix pump gas up to 105 octane, and they now have Race Gas Ultra which allows you 110-112. I was also told not to mix any stock tuned car above 95 octane. For those of you running race fuel this is a much cheaper option and you may want to look into it?

http://race-gas.com/
I might be interested in trying that. I see it said for off-road use only, but I'm wondering if it is cat or sensor friendly.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

$1.27cdn per litre for 87 octane. And a whopping $1.51cdn per litre for 94 octane....which is what I use.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
gasoline is wayyyy too cheap, I should be paying $10 a gallon - for the product. Plus more tax to pay for the environmental damage.
You got carbon tax yet in sask ? If not, ur in for a rude awakening. They just increased it..... in the middle of a pandemic no less.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back