Anyone see a Nitto do this?

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
The shop went to mount the Nitto 555R 305/35/18 on one of my 18x10's and when they went to air it up the bead busted and split straight up the tire. I bet it scared the shit out of the installer.

I used to mount and balance tires when I was a kid, and I have never seen this happen where the bead just snaps. These are new tires.

I sent an email to Nitto to see what they'll do to warranty the tire as well.

Anyone ever have this happen to them?

BustedNittoTire.jpg

Last edited:

srt2stang725

Reaction score
that never happened to me, but one of the tread blocks on my brand new nittos cracked right down to the tire itself.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My first guess would be that they guy that was installing it fucked up. The length of the split is just collatoral damage from being pressurized after he pinched it on the mounting machine.

I could be way off, but I would believe that before I would believe that a brand new tire had that serious of a defect in it from the factory... just my .02

Reaction score
I'm with Texaskyle and the others. Some tires just don't mount too easily. Not saying these are subject to that, but I've mounted some where the bead got a little torn even with some anal lube.

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
You'd have to see the tire in person, and I should've snapped a few more closeups of the bead. This wasn't installers error. Everything went on fine, went to air them up and BAM! There are no marks or burs on the bead from when it was installed, it just looked flat out stressed and snapped.

TexasKyle, there's always going to be some bit of factory defects every once in a blue moon.

StangMahn

They call me...Big Dave
Reaction score
never seen that happen before, it's a pretty clean split, so I'm thinking it very well could be a product defect. they happen every so often

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
Update, Wouldn't you guess...Nitto won't warranty it.

Just got off the phone with Nitto. Wouldn't you know it...they're claiming that it's the installers fault when mounting the tire, not a defect of the tire.

I am so furious right now!!! I really hate the fact that I have Nitto's on my car right now. This company can go to hell!

FYI, The money for the tire isn't the issue. I'm not going to loose sleep over $240.

I just cannot tolerate a company that doesn't stand behind thier products.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that sucks, sorry man

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen with one of my rock crawling tires.

They were made to be used at 4 to 10 PSI with bead lock and 12 to 15 without. The max inflat pressure on the tire was 30 PSI. It was stamped in the tire "don not exceed 30 PSI while mounting."

The dumb ass installing them jacked it to near 50 PSI waiting for the last piece of the bead to seat and the sidewall blew out so hard that the bead snapped and part of the tread blew off.

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
lmao sorry for the jack but this quote in itself is fuckin hilarious ....anal lube....random asshole :eek:hsnap:
No, I thought the same thing when I saw the post.

I had the exact same thing happen with one of my rock crawling tires.

They were made to be used at 4 to 10 PSI with bead lock and 12 to 15 without. The max inflat pressure on the tire was 30 PSI. It was stamped in the tire "don not exceed 30 PSI while mounting."

The dumb ass installing them jacked it to near 50 PSI waiting for the last piece of the bead to seat and the sidewall blew out so hard that the bead snapped and part of the tread blew off.

Yeah, the crappy thing is, I'm the one stuck buying the replacement DR.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
Tell the tire shop to work it out with Nitto and get you a replacement for free. You know the blame is with either the installer or Nitto and not yourself. I am assuming you didn't buy the tires from the guy installing them and that is causing additional issues.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I had the tread of a Nitto drag radial completely seperate from the sidewall when driving down the highway at 65 MPH. The tire pressure was checked 5 minutes before that, before I started driving, and it was 35 PSI. The sidewalls were still mounted to my wheel as the tread was chasing me down the highway. The tire had less than 1,000 street miles on it and only a few 1/4 mile passes at 14-16 PSI.

I emailed nitto about it and they said it must have been driven on the street at low pressure, but for some odd reason they stopped making drag radials in that size shortly before that happened and a replacement in that size was not found anywhere in the U.S. at any of their dealers or directly from them.

Later that year I was at PRI in Indinapolis and I aksed the rep there about why they stopped making drag radials in that size without telling him about my experience. He said they stopped making them because there was low demand for drag radials in 15" wheel sizes. Sounded pretty fishy to me.

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
Just run some bad ass M&H tires and be a man.

HAHA +1000

Too scared

Tell the tire shop to work it out with Nitto and get you a replacement for free. You know the blame is with either the installer or Nitto and not yourself. I am assuming you didn't buy the tires from the guy installing them and that is causing additional issues.

I'm working on that. I'm going to try and take the tire to the distributor and have them send it back to Nitto. If nothing works to my satisfaction. I'm going to let them know that I plan on posting my dealing with them all over every forum I belong to in greater detail.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
that looks like a bad install. i have seen some inexperienced guys screw up some tires while trying to seal the bead.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back