Anyone tried a stock tune on a big motor?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
GlassTop09 I hope that you are making bank tuning! That is some PHD type of info that you are churning out.
That injector info was great!
I just bought a takeoff fuel rail w/purple stock injectors. I have left some variable input opinion up to Brenspeed such as the injectors and CAI. Let them know that I am leaning toward the purple injectors and street intake w/83mm MAF so long as I don't run out of fuel or MAF perameter.
I did pay extra for the data-log fine tuning.
I will let you know what they suggest and how it goes.

Copy of email to Brenspeed:
Hi,
I am looking forward to working with Brenspeed for this tune.
I do not race and I just want a great driving, fun & fast car that is easily converted for the bienniel smog inspection. It just passed smog and ran great with the stock tune, injectors, cmcv, tb, and air filter box.

Back in the day, Adam @ ST Motorsports built this motor and we dyno tuned it at the Whipple facility here. It put down 380/380 at the rear tires. It did have cmcv delete plates and 39# blue cobra injectors.

Details:
-I have an XCal 2
-Motor is stock compression BUT is a 322c.i. big bore stroker motor.
*Boss50 big bore iron block (94mm bore w/ 3.75" stroke)
-JDM Engineering ported big valve heads.
-Comp 127300 series cams with no limiters.
-Shortie headers w/ stock cats and full Magnaflow behind the cats.
-Stock intake manifold w/CMCV in place and functional.
-BBK twin 62mm TB.

Variables dependent upon your input:
-Injectors
* I have stock black (05-07) black 4 nozzle 24#
* I have stock purple (08-10) purple (M-9593-LU24A) 6 nozzle 24#
* I have blue cobra 39#ers as well
I am leaning toward the purple for this tune if you think we will have enough WOT fuel.

-CAI
* I have a C&L street w/83mm MAF
* I have a C&L racer w/95mm MAF
I am leaning toward the street w/83mm for drivability so long as we are within MAF parameter's at WOT.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
PS--Just ran numbers.......w\ that Boss block's 94mm bore, to get 322 ci you'd have to have a 3.75" stroker crank (3.8" stroker crank will be 326 ci using the same Boss block) which calc's out to 0.0017813 lbs airmass per cyl. For comparison, stock 4.6L (281 ci) is 0.00155 lbs airmass per cyl. Thus, your engine's "displacement" in tune file vs actual is off by 15%. This is using natural atmospheric pressure @ SL.

So, your 16% posted in your OP is close............
Honestly, if your car is running well at this point, I wouldn't touch displacement. All it's going to do is move engine load around and potentially put you in different spark range for inferred (vs actual) load... probably not the best thing to do if you have good power/timing/fueling (and low knock) through your RPM band.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Honestly, if your car is running well at this point, I wouldn't touch displacement. All it's going to do is move engine load around and potentially put you in different spark range for inferred (vs actual) load... probably not the best thing to do if you have good power/timing/fueling (and low knock) through your RPM band.
Well I'll just say we agree to disagree on this aspect.........it is FAR, FAR better to do all the proper front end work in tuning no matter how "small" a difference it may seem (getting all these type settings correct & matching the actual physical engine characteristics--displacement, actual running fuel's fuel stoich AFR, proper fuel injector EOIT ref CA setting to match a camshaft's adv dur IVO timing point, TB's actual PTA & EA mapping in tune to match running TB's physical ID\butterfly dimensions from idle to WOT then match up tune transient fueling accel\decel gain\time constant mapping to same TB so engine will properly respond to initial TB movements from ETC SD load%\fueling calcs w\o being overly lean\rich until the MAF catches up along w\ correct Dynamic Airflow setting to match the inner area of the IM post TB for good ETC SD TB load airmass calcs to match the actual MAF load airmass calcs) so the ETC SD "inferred" load & fueling calcs WILL match w\ the actual MAF load & fueling calcs so ECU will be happy (what the IPC Wheel TQ Error in-tune monitoring is checking for the difference between the ETC SD TB load% airmass vs actual MAF load% airmass calcs......the safety in case ECU loses engine TQ output control off bad TB input in excess of a determined error margin which will activate Limp Mode.....this is DBW control....not cable control anymore) thus will have to make hardly ANY corrections in KAM (STFT+LTFT at\near 0%) thus can focus squarely on EVAP unmetered fuel vapors\air purging to properly maintain emissions while at the same time making the same good max HP\TQ. This also makes it FAR easier to tune OL as all this "inferred" ETC SD calc's are far more important to get right since in OL there will be NO NB O2 sensor correction being applied from KAM in a SO ECU during OL WOT PE (ECU will still be using the same EQ Ratio Lambda A\F equation in OL as in CL to calc fueling to match ETC\MAF airmass calc's during OL.....the OL Lambda fuel map is only telling the ECU during OL WOT PE which target Lambda A\F setting to use to calc the proper amount of fueling according to ETC TB TBA% & engine RPM's to hit this target Lambda A\F setting.........).

The more accurate the front-end tuning is set up, the less issues will show up on the back end......this is a fact. I've personally been there, done that myself.....

Especially when maintaining emissions for passing certification is also involved........which is a major concern for Cali HP Addict since he lives in California......or anyone who lives in a State\County where their vehicle has to pass an emissions certification test.

YMMV.............

JC SSP

Reaction score
Glasstop it’s time for you to get into the tuning game. You will make a killing. $$$$$

GlassTop09

Reaction score
GlassTop09 I hope that you are making bank tuning! That is some PHD type of info that you are churning out.
That injector info was great!
I just bought a takeoff fuel rail w/purple stock injectors. I have left some variable input opinion up to Brenspeed such as the injectors and CAI. Let them know that I am leaning toward the purple injectors and street intake w/83mm MAF so long as I don't run out of fuel or MAF perameter.
I did pay extra for the data-log fine tuning.
I will let you know what they suggest and how it goes.

Copy of email to Brenspeed:
Hi,
I am looking forward to working with Brenspeed for this tune.
I do not race and I just want a great driving, fun & fast car that is easily converted for the bienniel smog inspection. It just passed smog and ran great with the stock tune, injectors, cmcv, tb, and air filter box.

Back in the day, Adam @ ST Motorsports built this motor and we dyno tuned it at the Whipple facility here. It put down 380/380 at the rear tires. It did have cmcv delete plates and 39# blue cobra injectors.

Details:
-I have an XCal 2
-Motor is stock compression BUT is a 322c.i. big bore stroker motor.
*Boss50 big bore iron block (94mm bore w/ 3.75" stroke)
-JDM Engineering ported big valve heads.
-Comp 127300 series cams with no limiters.
-Shortie headers w/ stock cats and full Magnaflow behind the cats.
-Stock intake manifold w/CMCV in place and functional.
-BBK twin 62mm TB.

Variables dependent upon your input:
-Injectors
* I have stock black (05-07) black 4 nozzle 24#
* I have stock purple (08-10) purple (M-9593-LU24A) 6 nozzle 24#
* I have blue cobra 39#ers as well
I am leaning toward the purple for this tune if you think we will have enough WOT fuel.

-CAI
* I have a C&L street w/83mm MAF
* I have a C&L racer w/95mm MAF
I am leaning toward the street w/83mm for drivability so long as we are within MAF parameter's at WOT.
Thanks for the kind words...................
I'll be curious as to Brendspeed's responses as well.

:beer:

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Ok everyone, I lied!
I didn't make 380/380 that day on the dyno. I made 366hp/370tq with the C&L Street CAI. Adam and I made some further revisions with the C&L racer however there are no official dyno results. Check out this vid that we made and look past 25 seconds to see some donuts at the Whipple manufacturing facility. Had a great time that day!!

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Ok everyone, I lied!
I didn't make 380/380 that day on the dyno. I made 366hp/370tq with the C&L Street CAI. Adam and I made some further revisions with the C&L racer however there are no official dyno results. Check out this vid that we made and look past 25 seconds to see some donuts at the Whipple manufacturing facility. Had a great time that day!!
Damn I'm jealous as hell now! :)

370 ft\lbs peak TQ......I want soooo bad.....

:beer:

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly brother, this NA car is a blast to drive! I enjoy it more than when it put down more power with the Saleen SC.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I made 366hp/370tq with the C&L Street CAI.

Honestly brother, this NA car is a blast to drive! I enjoy it more than when it put down more power with the Saleen SC.

I'm all for maximizing area under the torque curve of a NA engine. A lot of the torque from a forced induction engine often gets wasted just spinning the rear wheels instead of accelerating the car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back