Anyone with aftermarket shifters have play in gear

Average

Reaction score
So I've had my Barton shifter installed in my 2007 GT for a little over a week now, made 4 long trips with it so far. It was pretty tight and notchy at first which I didn't mind, but it seems to have play while in 3rd and 4th now. No other gears have this play. Maybe it's just me but I don't remember that being present while stock. The play is mainly toward the passenger side which is odd as well.

All bolts underneath are tight without play as well.

Since pics and/or vids work better, I made a quick video. Feel free to tell me that it's normal if it is, I've had a fox body, and a edge GT so far and this will be the newest Mustang I've had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBnr-KBi6N4

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
The shifter itself looks nice and tight but did you check the shifter linkage bolt? It looks like it could be a bit loose. Just dont over tighten it or else itll shear off.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There will alway be some form of play due to linkage. Its not in the trans or shifter body.

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
i have the barton in for 28K miles and its still tight and notchy, send the video to barton.

Average

Reaction score
Thanks, I was just wondering if this is normal, as I wouldn't be happy if it was. I double checked all bolts on bottom including the one at the transmission. With all bolts tight it still has the play from the bottom of the shifter as well, but is tight at the transmission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utSN3w7-Ze8

I sent all my info and videos to Barton, hopefully it's an easy fix as I am still within 30 days of buying this from American Muscle.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
send it back to AM and take the money and get a mgw. Nothing wrong with a Barton but the MGW felt better for me. I have tried the Hurst Billet Competition Plus, MGW Gen 1 and a Barton. I have the MGW still in the car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back