Applied Opti Coat 2.0 (Pic heavy)

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
My $.02 on the opticoat is if you daily drive your car it is perfect, if not then there are better coatings out there. Gtechniq C1 topped with Exo v2 looks better, is slicker and beads and sheets better. Also Cquartz looks excellent too. Those are only 24 month rated coatings though. If you are putting the car in shows, you are probably going to polish the car more than once every two years anyways, so the longevity of Opticoat is irrelevant in that situation.
Agreed 100%. I DD mine so it seemed like a good fit.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on who you ask, they offer more shine and gloss. I think with anything that offers long term protection, it is all in the prep. OC can look fantastic, IMO. C Quartz is also good stuff and offers great shine. There are various videos on youtube with people comparing C Quartz, OC, EXO 2 all with great success. IFor 2-3 times a week I would definitely look into them, They still offer up to 2 years of protection which is amazing.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
C Quartz combined with the new Hydr02 would be a great combo for you cam. From my research, hydr02 is good for up to 90 days and is very slick and shiny. You spray it on after washing and rinsing the car. Spray a panel then hi pressure rinse and the water pressure "acitvates" it and your done... I picked some up to try out.

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
So in your guys opinion, I wet sanded a few areas, clayed it, polished it, and waxed it; but I should probably repeat the process again if I'm not 100% satisfied with the results prior to putting opti on?

Excuse the dust (black paint is scientifcally proven to have a positive attraction element to dust in the chemical compound) its almost a mirror.

e3asegut.jpg
ahy6a7y3.jpg
uhe9yruj.jpg

Sent from my phone, spelling mistakes brought to you courtesy of tapatalk.

Last edited:

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
I believe you don't want anything on the paint before applying the opti-coat (wax). My understanding is you want the paint as perfect as possible since the Opti-coat "seals" in any defects.

28ONE

Reaction score
So in your guys opinion, I wet sanded a few areas, clayed it, polished it, and waxed it; but I should probably repeat the process again if I'm not 100% satisfied with the results prior to putting opti on?

If you're going to repeat your process, skip waxing and make sure your paint is clean (remove all polishing oils) prior to applying Opti.

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
After wet sanding, you need to let the paint cure again (heal) for 30 days before you add a wax to it. The most we do is compound & polish. Then wash once every other week, then wax after 30 days.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
So now what should I do? It was only a little wet sanding on a few spots?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I just need to find a pro detailer in my area to do this. It's not that I'm up for it, I'd just prefer to have someone who knows what they are doing.

Once I get the 09 repainted I'll be repeating the same process. I'll do some research in my area.

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
Where ever you sanded, just don't wax. Compound & polish it an then leave it for 30 days so it can heal. Then you can wax it.

Just curious, what did you wet sand with & what were the reasons you needed to?

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well its already been waxed :( I wet sanded a few "pen paint" corrections prior owner made and the fender for some deep scratches the compound could not get out. Shoupd I try to take it off?

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
What grit did you use? An I would use a clay bar over the area you sanded an then compound & polish again but not wax this time

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think 3k, wasnt paying too much attention to the actual grit but I just scuffed the surface to get rid of a few scratches. I guess that would be the safest route, so now I have a project for tomorrow after work.

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
Grit is very important as to refinishing cars as the clear coat from factory isn't always very thick

michelle

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but had the Opti-Coat done to my 14 earlier this week. Looking forward to seeing how it washes after a few days of daily driving it. Glad to see others are happy with it as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back