Are the days of this horsepower war numbered?

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Who doesn't love a little horsepower war between the big 3? We all know horsepower isn't everything, but it sure is nice to be top dog! Ford has treated us to one of the baddest GT500's to hit the road. Read through the brief summary, and then head over to our blog to read the rest of it and check out some additional pictures of the new GT500 and the Shelby 1000.

timthumb.php

Are the days of this horsepower war numbered?

If you asked us ten years ago if we thought there would be a factory produced 650 horsepower Mustang made in the future, we would have laughed in your face. If you asked us if we thought we would see a factory produced 1000 horsepower Mustang, we would have told you to quit dreaming in the clouds. These far-fetched dreams are now becoming a reality thanks to Ford and Shelby with the new Gt500 and Shelby 1000.

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
I'm far more worried about the insurance companies killing this hobby than the manufacturers.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with that. My rates are pretty low so i don't worry to much about it right now. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next 5-10 years.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I hope it keeps going but I don't think it will be insurance to kill it I think it will be the government regulations.

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with that. My rates are pretty low so i don't worry to much about it right now. I'm curious to see what will happen in the next 5-10 years.

The last time I spoke with my insurer about adding my new daily driver they asked me specifically "if it had been modified in any way outside of the manufacturer's specifications". Fortunately I was able to answer, "no".

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have never been asked any questions about mods when insuring a new car. When I hit a deer, they asked for a parts list so they could buy me the same parts. They have never given me any problems at all with any of my aftermarket pieces.

I have also been with the same company for 10 years. Have my house, both cars, and two life insurance policies with them as well.

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
I've been with that company for 28 years, cars, houses, etc and they have all my kids' business now too. I'm going to move my toys over to a specialty insurer but will probably leave my unmolested DD's there. That question was a bit of a shock.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
picked up a rider on my policy with Farmers.

I think the EPA mandates will make it tougher for Ford to carry many V-8's down the road.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I think with all the ecoboost engines, and the hybrid stuff, we should be ok for a little while. I would hate to see all V8's vanish.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Here in WV we call it the JOB killing EPA and DEP due to the fact the EPA has put such strict regulations on the coal burning power plants. Coal burning power plants are all but being forced to convert to national gas which puts me out of a job along with many others. Just ask any person working in the factories that make class 8 trucks what 2013 is going to do. More than likely layoffs will result due to the fact truck buyers (JB Hunt, Swift, ME, etc etc) are very timid to buy new trucks with untested and unproven emissions equipment. Every three years the EPA gets a little stricter on emissions. In 2010-2011 diesel trucks was equipped with a canister aimed to capturing soot. Well, those first generation trucks was in the shop getting worked on more than they were out earning money due to the canister clogging and not purging like it was designed to do. The new style canisters that capture and burn off soot uses an additive called urethra. So far to date this style has been working better than the previous version. The EPA affects us all in our everyday life more so than one would imagine. I hope they keep letting us have our fun for a little longer. Me personally I would like to see just a little of the EPA’s jurisdiction took away from them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back