Argh! - Damper no good - Not made any more

Mojo88

Reaction score
I'm finishing up major work (timing chains/MMR guides, followers, lifters, valve seals, phasers, new timing cover) on my car: 2010 Roush 'Hammer' 4.6L 3V. This was Roush's top-of-the-line specialty vehicle for that year. It has a 2.3L TVS supercharger on it, which is driven by a "spider pulley" setup that includes the damper and pulleys. The setup was used on '03-'04 Cobras and is somewhat odd and trouble-prone.

Anyway, I'm cleaning up the damper, getting ready to re-install it, when I see the elastomer bulges on front and rear. The damper is no good, glad I inspected it. I call Roush, but of course they don't stock any more, and nobody makes them. Then I call Brenspeed and a few other places. No help, they all wish me luck, haha. I figure I'll be very lucky if I can find a used one somewhere, or maybe some specialty shop that rebuilds existing dampers.

And then I figured it's time to shop on the old interweb, using the part number on the damper. I did a search and there was a page of returns, but only one mentioned a damper.

I was absolutely blown away, because it was the exact damper I needed, and it was cheap, and it was BRAND NEW! The automotive Gods smiled on me.

Sometimes you get lucky!
Damper22.jpg

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up major work (timing chains/MMR guides, followers, lifters, valve seals, phasers, new timing cover) on my car: 2010 Roush 'Hammer' 4.6L 3V. This was Roush's top-of-the-line specialty vehicle for that year. It has a 2.3L TVS supercharger on it, which is driven by a "spider pulley" setup that includes the damper and pulleys. The setup was used on '03-'04 Cobras and is somewhat odd and trouble-prone.

Anyway, I'm cleaning up the damper, getting ready to re-install it, when I see the elastomer bulges on front and rear. The damper is no good, glad I inspected it. I call Roush, but of course they don't stock any more, and nobody makes them. Then I call Brenspeed and a few other places. No help, they all wish me luck, haha. I figure I'll be very lucky if I can find a used one somewhere, or maybe some specialty shop that rebuilds existing dampers.

And then I figured it's time to shop on the old interweb, using the part number on the damper. I did a search and there was a page of returns, but only one mentioned a damper.

I was absolutely blown away, because it was the exact damper I needed, and it was cheap, and it was BRAND NEW! The automotive Gods smiled on me.

Sometimes you get lucky!
View attachment 90070
There is nobody that rebuilds them. Buy new. Sadly you will be switching brands.

Mojo88

Reaction score
Youve done all that work and are running a stock balancer, why?
The damper is a truly rare item, it's a Cobra damper, it's anything but 'stock'.

Look at this picture below of the front of the one I bought and you'll understand. Are you suggesting there is an aftermarket replacement available?? If so, please post a link or something for me to search. Thanks
damper21.jpg

Mojo88

Reaction score
There is nobody that rebuilds them. Buy new. Sadly you will be switching brands.
Ahh, thanks, I didn't know about rebuild services. I bought that new one in the eBay pic. I was posting because I was AMAZED that I actually managed to find a new one. I never in a million years thought I'd find a brand new one. I thought I'd end up paying top dollar for some used POS damper........

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Its kind of funny that Ebay almost always has what need. Usually....

JC SSP

Reaction score
There are no aftermarket SFI rated dampners for '03-'04 Cobras? Fluidampr, ATI, etc.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I can read…. innovators west 813 was the only one mentioned.

Enlighten me… what did I fail to read.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back