AST Coilovers and Stranoparts bars: a review

Reaction score
He was pulling away from me on the oval section, because his car stuck while I was kind of fighting mine...

I noticed. Couldn't tell if you were planning on trying to get under him before the corner exit or what have you. I dunno if you tried this after seeing only one lap, but if you haven't started on the high line and then shot low and tracked out, I'd seriously suggest it for next time. Like you said, those banks are so dependent on exit speed.

Seven days and counting until my showdown with Asshole..

Just gotta get my brakes figured out and I'm ready to rock.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Yeah, I've tried going high, then diving down through the apex, but without race rubber, the car was MUCH happier down low, it let me get on the throttle earlier, for better exit speed coming off the oval, to that beautiful "rubber smear on the concrete wall" track-out marker...

The one time I DID try to push it through the oval, the rear end got away from be to the tune of 35-40*; that was a definite sphincter-clench moment!

See you in a week!

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Hey, with all this new fancy gear, doesn't someone need to update their mass-body-roll avatar? (Dave?)

=)

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Oh man... It was a comedy of errors. First, I blew the air side of my Accusump, and had to pull it from the system, AND clean off the front of the car. Fascia went back on last night at 6:00PM. No time to do that swaybar change, Sam! THEN, Carl (Random Asshole) was having brake issues, so between Philostang's parts bin and mine, we came up with enough pieces and parts to get Carl's brakes going again... Got to the track, and I wound up getting students assigned in both Novice and Intermediate groups (TWO in the intermediate group, actually!)... Carl and I agreed on a scheduled run, and we both geared up. I wound up not being able to get a warm-up session, but figured WTF, go for it. Carl went out for his warm-up and promptly had charging system issues, which sidelined him for the day.

There WILL be a rematch!! I demand it!! Honestly, I think it could have gone either way if it had happened. My setup was completely wrong for the track conditions, which turned out to be a LOT choppier than I remembered. Philo got a ride, maybe he can comment, but it felt like I was pogo-sticking around the corners pretty badly. I'm positive it would only have been a damper adjsutment away from nirvana, but with no time to tune, literally, with all the student sessions, and with Carl's report of "seemed fine to me when I blew by that gutted/caged 996 and the Ferarri" I was getting a bit nervous. Looks like the next opportunity will be June, at Blackhawk, a track we both know well, BUT a track that Carl won a championship on... This ought to be exciting!

Reaction score
I'm positive it would only have been a damper adjsutment away from nirvana, but with no time to tune, literally, with all the student sessions, and with Carl's report of "seemed fine to me when I blew by that gutted/caged 996 and the Ferarri" I was getting a bit nervous. Looks like the next opportunity will be June, at Blackhawk, a track we both know well, BUT a track that Carl won a championship on... This ought to be exciting!

correction: It was a gutted/caged F355 on slicks and a standard looking 996 twin turbo. I actually have a really funny video as I pull up behind him "What'd I say about Porsche drivers?"

Yesterday sucked and I'm cleaning myself up from the bender last night. Considering how the fuck I'm going to try and get a PCM warrantied.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Yeah, the ride in Dave's car was a bit on the choppy side. I'm sure through the steering wheel things did not feel any better. Too bad there wasn't time for methodical adjustments to the shocks.

As for the day, I had fun. =)

Ok, so I also didn't have any problems to work through. Well there was the continuing-to-fail data logger from hell... Still, where else do you get to smell those brakes cooking?

I think Dave was running as fast outside the car (from student to student) as he was in the car. Mayhem.

All I can say about Carl is I'm very glad to hear that you got her home in one piece without the battery blowing up. Honestly, I've never seen a battery smoke like that. That was freaky, and it was all from a leisurely drive back from the dealership! Sheesh. Good luck with it.

BBQBats

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, I've never seen a battery smoke like that. That was freaky, and it was all from a leisurely drive back from the dealership! Sheesh. Good luck with it.
He was babying it (understandably) back from the dealer to the track. Drive back home was scary. "Roll up the windows, in case the battery explodes, it doesn't fling acid at our faces!" Smelled of rotten eggs the whole time.

Reaction score
He was babying it (understandably) back from the dealer to the track. Drive back home was scary. "Roll up the windows, in case the battery explodes, it doesn't fling acid at our faces!" Smelled of rotten eggs the whole time.

Now that I think of it, the smell was a compounded stench consisting of sulfur and melting paint. The paint got worse overnight and it's seriously fucked. The car is back to stock tune and CAI right now. I've tried starting it with my archaic sears charger and a brand new battery pack for the last 20 minutes. Barely got it to crank. Letting it sit on the charger for a bit and hopefully I'll get it to fire. I just don't wanna pay a tow bill for a literally 5 minute drive. Not to mention the fun of actually getting it on a truck.

And by and by, Alex: I believe I found out why I had the issue with the pcv hose (from the intake tube to the valve cover) hooking up without "riggin' it" and you didn't. There was a design change somewhere and the bend is completely different in that plastic hose. Thanks for saving me the task of finding the needle in the haystack by giving me your intake to borrow.

Oh, and Dave: Nice job sabotaging my car so you could live another day. I was curious why you wanted me to get over to that drivers meeting so badly you dirty SOB! I will have armed goons surrounding my car at blackhawk. You're gonna be real sorry.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Oh, and Dave: Nice job sabotaging my car so you could live another day. I was curious why you wanted me to get over to that drivers meeting so badly you dirty SOB! I will have armed goons surrounding my car at blackhawk. You're gonna be real sorry.

It's not my fault; I was never IN aisle six; I have an alibi, I have people on retainer to tell you that...

Speaking of surrender, don't you have some French blood? I know you got real rigid, like standing at attention, almost saluting when they talked about the white flag at the driver's meeting...:stooges:

Are you going to bring R-comps to Blackhawk, by chance? I suppose that I could throw the streets on for one run, but since neither of us (that I know of!) have run R-comps at that track, that could be a bit of an equalizer...

Personally, I think that Autobahn is just a "snakebit" track for S197's... Last time there, I had an "off-track excursion" before I even got to the gates, this time I lost my Accusump, and you had brake issues, then launched a battery into orbit... Maybe it's a good thing that John brought his DD instead of the Mustang!

Next topic: Any luck with getting the car to fire? (maybe I should change that to "start...") And if so, are you charging properly, or still going balls-out on the alternator?

Reaction score
It's not my fault; I was never IN aisle six; I have an alibi, I have people on retainer to tell you that...

Speaking of surrender, don't you have some French blood? I know you got real rigid, like standing at attention, almost saluting when they talked about the white flag at the driver's meeting...:stooges:

I'll take those as movie quotes of some sort. The only french in me were those fries at lunch.

Are you going to bring R-comps to Blackhawk, by chance? I suppose that I could throw the streets on for one run, but since neither of us (that I know of!) have run R-comps at that track, that could be a bit of an equalizer...

Maybe an equalizer..for YOU. zing! I'll give them a shot after I get a car that doesn't fail somehow everytime I hit the track.

:dead2:

Personally, I think that Autobahn is just a "snakebit" track for S197's... Last time there, I had an "off-track excursion" before I even got to the gates, this time I lost my Accusump, and you had brake issues, then launched a battery into orbit... Maybe it's a good thing that John brought his DD instead of the Mustang!

You may be onto something. The only "off" I have ever had yet was at autobahn and it was on my fucking cool down lap after the fastest lap recorded that day which meant "DNF."

Next topic: Any luck with getting the car to fire? (maybe I should change that to "start...") And if so, are you charging properly, or still going balls-out on the alternator?

Negative. Tried charging it for a while AND tried a booster pack. Couldn't get more than 180 degrees of crank rotation before it started clicking like a tap dancer. That battery had a long and painful death..and a short life of two whole weeks to boot. It JUST got to the dealer after a 2 hour plus wait for a truck to come by that was even willing to touch it because of it's "Modified Suspension". Damage liability reasons I guess.

Tow truck dude: "What is done to the car?"
Me: "It's dropped 1.5 inches"

Tow truck dude: "what else is done to the suspension?"
Me: "It's got torsion dingle arms. What the fuck else matters dude? Do you have wooden planks or not?"

Ugh.

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
:shock: YOU have TORSION DINGLE ARMS????!!!!! Crap, you gotta spot me at least 2 seconds, then!

Man, that was just hilarious, and I can SEE you saying that! That's what makes it so F'n funny! Seriously, though, if you get into a bind again, ping me. A) I know a towing service that is wayyy cool, and B) I have spare rear brake rotors just sitting in a box. Along with spare rear brake pads. I'm not saying, I'm just... saying.

Let's plan on Blackhawk, then. All we have to hammer out is whether we can get you bumped into TT, maybe Sunday, or whether I "sneak" out in 3/4 to go play. No transponders there, though, so the HARD data won't be available... I think John is going to be running that weekend with us as well!

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Well, I plan to be there...with my gimpy data logger in tow. Hard data may be available...I'll stop making promises.

I'm definitely bringing the R-comps, since I want to see what they do for my times compared to last year. If one or both of you is running in a different class, I can always bring my ole' faithful stopwatch (mmmm...if I can find it). At least it doesn't randomly fail to pick up and lock onto satellite signals.

Well, I'll take a failed data logger any day over a failed car. Good luck with the charging situation Carl (and keep us informed; I'm really curious to see if they call out your tune as the culprit - speaking of which, did you contact the supplier to get their take on that possibility?).

Best,
-j

BBQBats

forum member
Reaction score
No problem, glad the intake did help out. When is the race at blackhawk? Maybe I can finagle something at work and get the day off. Car won't be ready, but I don't mind hanging out on the sidelines and working those stopwatches! Also, doesn't Mike McD still work for a towing company?

Reaction score
No transponders there, though, so the HARD data won't be available... I think John is going to be running that weekend with us as well!

Well I better do what I do my best and kick ass enough to get into TT. Good thing we are going to Blackhawk, aka "my bitch".

]..did you contact the supplier to get their take on that possibility?).

Yes. They stated nothing is done to the factory calibration in the charging system deptartment.

..glad the intake did help out. When is the race at blackhawk? Maybe I can finagle something at work and get the day off. Car won't be ready, but I don't mind hanging out on the sidelines and working those stopwatches! Also, doesn't Mike McD still work for a towing company?

The first race is coming up fairly quick. Hell, I may need more than your airbox...I may need your entire CAR! Wanna be my first "sponsor"? I got tires and brakes, juust sayin...lol. First race is the 22nd (saturday) and then the next on on the 31th (Monday, Memorial day.) The NASA event John and Dave are talking about is the June 12th and 13th. I'll be camping there. And McD and his brother no longer tow.

Last edited:

BBQBats

forum member
Reaction score
Well the 22, I can't make. Going to the CMC opener. Memorial day might work, and I forgot about that June race. Requesting time off for that now.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Bats: You're going to make the NASA event, too! Awesome, we'll turn this into an S197 love-in yet!!! You, Carl, John, Me, hopefully my buddy Tom, and maybe even Terry from the GL region... This should be some serious fun!

BBQBats

forum member
Reaction score
Bats: You're going to make the NASA event, too! Awesome, we'll turn this into an S197 love-in yet!!! You, Carl, John, Me, hopefully my buddy Tom, and maybe even Terry from the GL region... This should be some serious fun!

I doubt I'll have my car track worthy by then, but I'm saving up to do the brakes. Its Mother's Day, so I should make a few bucks this weekend at work (I'm a bartender at a restaurant). I just like coming out even if its for track support.

Reaction score
Let's make a flip book.

Unfortunately, the photographers didn't take track time photos of instructor cars that day. Instead, they gave a flip book of you taking your helmet off as a parting gift.

2ly4sqp.jpg

2d97b15.jpg

10yqop0.jpg

2a5kkuv.jpg

And here's my shots of the 15 minutes I had on the track.

hrzl91.jpg

6sx36r.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back