Attempting to get better MPG

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
Well, it came to a point that I had to take a job 5x farther than where I had been traveling when I originally bought the car. I'm spending over $200 a month on gas, just in the commute to work. I rarely ever beat on the car, and my driving is very tame.

I have a 93 Octane race tune by BAMA. If anyone has had any experience, did it make a difference in real life driving if going down to 91 or 87 octane, as well as going down from the race tune to the performance tune?

I don't want the car to feel like it dragging, but I will take slightly lesser performance at this point in time if it saves me a nice chunk of change at the end of the month/year.

Thank you in advance for any input.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Since you have a Bama tune, I'm assuming you have their tunes for life? If so, just order a new tune on their website for 87 octane. It isn't as fun, by far, as a 93 octane tune, but it will save you some gas. I think I saw 2mpg better in the city with their 87 gas saver tune. But it really sucked because I was used to the 93 performance tune. Now I just run a Jon Jund tune. If I get worried about gas money, I'll buy a moped.

05slvrgt

Reaction score
I really don't think you'll save a lot of money switching to 87 octane.

In my area the difference between 87 and 93 is $0.20. If you use 500 gallons a year you will only save $100 or $200 if you use a 1,000 gallons. However 500 gallons is a considerable amount of gas. I mean at 18 mpg for 500 gallons means you will have driven your car 9k miles this year. So $100 over the course of 12 months really isn't that much.

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
Since you have a Bama tune, I'm assuming you have their tunes for life? If so, just order a new tune on their website for 87 octane. It isn't as fun, by far, as a 93 octane tune, but it will save you some gas. I think I saw 2mpg better in the city with their 87 gas saver tune. But it really sucked because I was used to the 93 performance tune. Now I just run a Jon Jund tune. If I get worried about gas money, I'll buy a moped.
Yeah I have their tunes for life. My motorcycle isn't so cheap on gas either anymore!

I really don't think you'll save a lot of money switching to 87 octane.

In my area the difference between 87 and 93 is $0.20. If you use 500 gallons a year you will only save $100 or $200 if you use a 1,000 gallons. However 500 gallons is a considerable amount of gas. I mean at 18 mpg for 500 gallons means you will have driven your car 9k miles this year. So $100 over the course of 12 months really isn't that much.
With this new job I may travel 6-9k a year, and those were the type of numbers I wanted to see. That's about $2 a week I save, which is money, but the fun factor of the 93 octane tune by far out weighs its price tag of $2 a week.

I also get about 14-15 mpg, almost all city driving.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ran my 87 tune for all of about 2 months trying to save money. I didnt save anything. I get better mileage with my 93 tune.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have to remember your used to a 93 tune. When you go to the 87 tune you throttle it more to try and get that same feel you had before. I had 4.10's installed and drove round trip form San Antonio to Dallas and back at 70-75 and averaged 23.9 mpg calculated and 24.7 on the car on my 93 tune.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
I know it doesn't help your situation, but I'm now using over $400/mo in gas since the price of gas has nearly doubled in the last two years.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Well, it came to a point that I had to take a job 5x farther than where I had been traveling when I originally bought the car. I'm spending over $200 a month on gas, just in the commute to work. I rarely ever beat on the car, and my driving is very tame.

I have a 93 Octane race tune by BAMA. If anyone has had any experience, did it make a difference in real life driving if going down to 91 or 87 octane, as well as going down from the race tune to the performance tune?

I don't want the car to feel like it dragging, but I will take slightly lesser performance at this point in time if it saves me a nice chunk of change at the end of the month/year.

Thank you in advance for any input.

First, what's your actual hand calculated mileage?

stang72

Family of Stangs
Reaction score
UDP's might get you 1-2mpg.But you may have them.aluminum ds might help some.Might not be significant but its got to help some.

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
thought the street tune focused more on low end unlike the race tune focusing on the high end. maybe just try that kind of change while using the 93 octane

nmb15831

forum member
Reaction score
moped ftw. thats what i did for just jackin around town. i just use the stang for work and school therefore very little city driving, im averaging 23mpg with a BAMA 93 race. 1gal of gas last all week on the moped/scooter. no license required, if you can take the embarassment its by far the best gas saver out there.

leavnon3rd

Reaction score
my 06 gt averaged 24 highway and 16 around town with a brenspeed 91 tune and a CL racer intake. with a underdrive pulley i picked up a solid 1.5 mpg average over both. i averaged 19.xx before and 21.xx after

my 08 gt now both stock and with a knn intake and brenspeed 91 tune gets 19 aroudn town, and 28 on the highway go figure with no pulley i average 22

both have 3.55's

check out the steeda underdrivekit!

Blank

forum member
Reaction score
Thats about what i spend a month. Unless i go on a trip of some sort.

Edit
Thats with a 91 bama race tune and cl racer.

Last edited:

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I use about $450 a month in gas, 70 miles round trip, always Shell. I used to run the 93 race tune from Bama and tried saving some money at the pump.

I have had the 89 performance tune in for a while and for a daily driver it is great. Gas mileage seems to be right at 24.5mpg.

I have S&B CAI, Flowmaster axleback, and the Tune.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
When gas started spiking up, I went with the BBR Eco tune. I used to run a 93 tune, but in my area 93 can be as much as 30 cents higher. My local BP, 87 was 3.89 this morning, 93 was 4.17. so on average I put about 13 gallons in my car every week. monthly saves me about 15 bucks a month. Switching to the 87 tune, i do get better MPG, as Im not filling up every 5-6 days but every 7-8 hahaha.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back