Auto or Manual - Your preference?

Manual or Auto Transmission??

• Total voters

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
This is mostly out of curiosity...

What do you prefer? A stick or an auto?

I can understand that in some cases an auto is the only way to go but a lot of people say that a stick is really driving the car... Whats your personal preference??

(I realise this could turn into a complete shit-fight with people getting paid out for what they choose to drive with but hey, I'm sure everyone will get a laugh out of it...)

(And for the record...I prefer a manual. :thumb: )

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
i said auto because my car is my daily driver, and to be honest i dont think i would want a stick as a DD. especially with a bad knee. but if I was fortunate enough to have this as a second car, then a stick most likely

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I will ever own another manually shifted car, unless I can put it in drive and push buttons. Then, it is still an automatic. I have been fascinated by them since I was a kid and I first saw the inside of one. I had no idea what was going on but it was still interesting.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I will always drive a manual, I just like being more involved in the driving experience. Between my wife and I we own 3 manual vehicles.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive been driving an 08 GT500 for a week now. Yes, work does have its perks. And I reallllllllly miss shifting now..I love my auto in my GT, but the 6 speed in the GT500 is nails..

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I prefer driving a manual, and my first 5 Mustangs were manuals, so I voted manual. However, I bought my 07 GT with an automatic to be more consistent at bracket racing. And, my left knee has not been happy over the past 28 years of driving manuals. So, automatics are not as much fun to drive, but very practical for their intended purpose.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine started life as a stick car and is now a auto all I can say is why didn't I get the auto from the get go !

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
:wtf1: Did this thread slime its way over from Mustang Forums??? I'm tempted to delete just on principle...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ive had both, including both in my 05. I prefer the Stick for DD, stick for putting around town, cruising, ect. I prefer the auto for drag racing.

If your putting around town, cruizing, DD type of a car, Stick is the way to go

If your an all out Drag Guy, Auto is the way to go

If you drag the car but keep the power down to a healthy 500rwhp or so and DD, then still stick

2006torquefreak

forum member
Reaction score
+1. Exactly the reason I am in the middle of converting to a stick now.
ive had both, including both in my 05. I prefer the Stick for DD, stick for putting around town, cruising, ect. I prefer the auto for drag racing.

If your putting around town, cruizing, DD type of a car, Stick is the way to go

If your an all out Drag Guy, Auto is the way to go

If you drag the car but keep the power down to a healthy 500rwhp or so and DD, then still stick

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't race, so I like shifting my own gears. I don't know if I'll ever race this car, other than for the novelty of it...but if I ever get into the 1320' thing, I'll have a purpose-built car for that.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I voted manual because, like most, it's just more fun! :) I've had my share of auto's, and I know the auto has come a very long way since the dark age of the 4R70W (in stock form.. not to say built doesn't have it's share of issues). But I never felt that electrified feeling of alertness in an auto like I do driving stick.

If I ever build a full on drag track car, it would definately be an auto. But as long as it's my over budget toy, I'll decide when, where, and how I want my gears shifted. :D

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you bought the car for. I got mine for drag racing, so I was only looking for an auto. I do have a six speed in my vipertruck and its a blast to shift that beast, except in bumper to bumper traffic, then it sucks!

patrick

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back