Axle rear end question

Carnage5oh_s197

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2012 gt and I’m trying to figure out what rear end it has. The sticker on the door jam says GG but the the one on the axle says BB. Anybody had this issue before? or am I looking at the wrong sticker in the axle?

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3615.jpeg

Gladams

Reaction score
GG code is 3.31 gear code. Looks like the Rearend tag is missing with the different plate. Isn’t the BB the axle code length? Not sure,but my 12 gt has the GG code and the diff has 3.31 on the tag hanging from the bolt. Thanks.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I remember Reading about the finned rear cover means track pack which comes with 3:73 and Torsen differential but I see a lot of BMR upgrades so this could be a cover change only.

There are several ways of confirming what gears you have.

Miker

Reaction score
I remember Reading about the finned rear cover means track pack which comes with 3:73 and Torsen differential but I see a lot of BMR upgrades so this could be a cover change only.

There are several ways of confirming what gears you have.

I believe track pack axels are painted .

Reaction score
The BB code on the axle tube may be coincidental?
Most MT-82 (manual) cars were probably built with the 3.31 axle ratio.
Most 6R80 (automatic) cars were probably built with the 3.15 axle ratio.

This is the list of codes: (found here: https://support.bamaperformance.com/hc/en-us/articles/207043046-11-14-Axle-codes-found-on-door-plate)
BB – 3.73
DD – 3.55
GG – 3.31
YY – 3.15
CC – 2.73

I ordered my 2012 GT with the optional 3.73 and it is indicated on the door tag. I never looked for the tag on the actual differential cover.

Carnage5oh_s197

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I’m just gonna have to get the car on stands and spin the tires. And count how many times the driveshaft spins, before the wheel gets back to its mark. I believe thats the only real way of knowing. I Just thought it was odd that the sticker on the axle said that BB and the one inside the door GG. I was already thinking of swapping them out for some 3:73s. And hopefully I won’t have to.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Carnage5oh_s197,

Best method is a physical test:
* Lift the rear wheels off the ground.
* Put a mark on the driveshaft and put a mark on teh inside of one rear tire. Masking tape works nicely.
* Rotate the driveshaft, counting each revolution, until the tire has made one revolution.
* Calculation: driveshaft revolutions/1 = gear ratio

Alternate method is a 2-person job and may have to be repeated because the driveshaft flag position is hard to see (in my opinion):
* Wrap some masking tape on the driveshaft leaving a starting tail of 4" to 6" and bring the tape around to leave a 4" to 6" tail then stick the two pieces together to make a flag.
* Mark the outside of a rear tire (say, at 6 or 12 o'clock).
* Have the 2nd person slowly roll the car and count the revolutions that the flag makes until the tire has made one revolution.
* Calculation is the same.

HTH,

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I’m just gonna have to get the car on stands and spin the tires. And count how many times the driveshaft spins, before the wheel gets back to its mark. I believe thats the only real way of knowing. I Just thought it was odd that the sticker on the axle said that BB and the one inside the door GG. I was already thinking of swapping them out for some 3:73s. And hopefully I won’t have to.
Did you figure out what you have for a rear axle ratio?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back