Bad Sellers

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I know apples to oranges but my stock clutch with LOTS of abuse and 130k miles looks like that low mileage clutch. I know twins have a more aggressive material but still that doesn't look kosher to me.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
I know it sucks. I couldnt tell much by the pictures but alot of shops just wont install used clutches. You sound like a genuine guy but in my opinion if you had it a year I dont think its right to file a charge back. If you buy something especially something that expensive once it arrives you should inspect it asap and if you dont know what to look for take it to a shop and have them inspect it. There are alot of shady buyers just as well as shady sellers out there. If people are aloud to do chargebacks on things bought 7 months ago or a year ago I can imagine how many people buy things that you cannot keep track of after being installed. Installing items beating on them then a year later claiming to have never been out of the box they came in.

+1

If someone i sold something to a year ago sent me the same message, my response would have been the same.

The best way to check for wear is to measure the thickness of the material discs, then get the new oem specs from Mccleod and see what the difference is.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I agree a year is a long time and the buyer admitted fault for that. However, TWO people mentioned the same seller selling them something not as advertised. One was a complete motor. The other is the clutch. Both pricey items. One issue can be a fluke two separate transactions and there is some shit going on with this seller.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know it sucks. I couldnt tell much by the pictures but alot of shops just wont install used clutches. You sound like a genuine guy but in my opinion if you had it a year I dont think its right to file a charge back. If you buy something especially something that expensive once it arrives you should inspect it asap and if you dont know what to look for take it to a shop and have them inspect it. There are alot of shady buyers just as well as shady sellers out there. If people are aloud to do chargebacks on things bought 7 months ago or a year ago I can imagine how many people buy things that you cannot keep track of after being installed. Installing items beating on them then a year later claiming to have never been out of the box they came in.

I know you don't know me from Adam, and I doubt your comments are malicious, but I have dealt with many people on here in both buying and selling, and have met many of the people on this forum local to me, that, I would like to think, can vouch for me and my character.

Hell I have given many people good deals and even given parts away to people not local to me. It wasn't necessarily about the money (don't get me wrong, that was a large driving force for my chargeback) but I was pissed that I got screwed.

It was from a member on SVTP. I filed a charge back with my written statement, he had a chance for rebuttal, and ultimately they sided with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

In regards to the shop not wanting to install it- It was my close friend who has installed everything in my car (we are vendors). Matter of fact, my last clutch we installed was a used Ram clutch from another member here.

I competently agree with you about me having a year- That is why I start off this thread with that statement. I'm under the impression I have no recall with my CC company- If for some reason I do, I will be considering it. In this situation, I feel as though I was sold a item not as described.

My main goal of this thread is to express my frustration in the matter and to give a fair warning for whoever else who deals with him in the future.

+1

If someone i sold something to a year ago sent me the same message, my response would have been the same.

The best way to check for wear is to measure the thickness of the material discs, then get the new oem specs from Mccleod and see what the difference is.

I most likely won't get any financial compesnion for this bad buy & I accept that (although its not easy). Its expensive lesson. I understand the frustration as a seller if a buyer contacts you almost a year later. However, I would never sell something that is not as described.

I agree a year is a long time and the buyer admitted fault for that. However, TWO people mentioned the same seller selling them something not as advertised. One was a complete motor. The other is the clutch. Both pricey items. One issue can be a fluke two separate transactions and there is some shit going on with this seller.

I know you don't know me from Adam, and I doubt your comments are malicious, but I have dealt with many people on here in both buying and selling, and have met many of the people on this forum local to me, that, I would like to think, can vouch for me and my character.

Hell I have given many people good deals and even given parts away to people not local to me. It wasn't necessarily about the money (don't get me wrong, that was a large driving force for my chargeback) but I was pissed that I got screwed.

It was from a member on SVTP. I filed a charge back with my written statement, he had a chance for rebuttal, and ultimately they sided with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel the same way & thats why I buy with confidence on this forum. Matter of fact, I think my last for sale thread I just gave away some M&H drag radials I had laying around. Most have us have GREAT I-rating scores & have each other backs.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
im sorry but looking closely at the surfaces in your 2 pics, I see NO issues. I'm not a fan of the seller due to the engine sale mentioned before but i have, to be honest and based solely on those pics, your going to get those markings just driving around the block a couple times and hitting it once or twice. I'm speaking from a 25 year background of building mustangs. unless you produce some pics that reveal unseen damage such as cracks, severe hot spots, missing material from the disc, loose springs,etc,,, i think you really have no gripe here. i know there is no way to appease you and i'm not trying to piss you off but i just dont see what you are seeing. and their clutches are rebuildable. honestly, id throw that junk away and buy a spec or even better an Ace racing clutch, just as long as it has a cnc'd billet hat and not a stamped steel such as the mcleod

Last edited:

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
im sorry but looking closely at the surfaces in your 2 pics, I see NO issues. I'm not a fan of the seller due to the engine sale mentioned before but i have, to be honest and based solely on those pics, your going to get those markings just driving around the block a couple times and hitting it once or twice. I'm speaking from a 25 year background of building mustangs. unless you produce some pics that reveal unseen damage such as cracks, severe hot spots, missing material from the disc, loose springs,etc,,, i think you really have no gripe here. i know there is no way to appease you and i'm not trying to piss you off but i just dont see what you are seeing. and their clutches are rebuildable. honestly, id throw that junk away and buy a spec or even better an Ace racing clutch, just as long as it has a cnc'd billet hat and not a stamped steel such as the mcleod

I think the clutch would be fine but I also think based on those pics that clutch has more miles than the seller was claiming. I feel like that is the issue here.

Last edited:

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
I think the clutch would be fine but I also think based on those pics that clutch has more miles than the seller was claiming. I feel like that is the issue here.

Honestly... How could you possibly make that statement from those grainy pictures of a couple discolored spots?

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Because I have one in my garage right NOW that looks exactly like it and I KNOW it has more than 100 miles. Lol

LBSRACING

forum member
Reaction score
Let me start with the engine deal, As soon as he told me about the screw I worked out a deal that the buyer was happy with to make it right. To this day I dont know how that could have happen. As for high millage parts my car to this day only has 14k miles on it. I was working overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan when the clutch was installed in car. I literally drove to town twice, 6 dyno pulls and tried two passes at the track with the car. The engine it was behind makes 900+ rwhp. I have never miss lead anyone. I actually sold my Procharger kit that was on the 3v engine to only have the buyer email me saying the blower was no good. So I had him send it to Procharger and paid for a complete rebuild of the blower. If the buyer of the clutch would have had a problem with it over a year ago when he got it then it would be a different story but its been over a year. I bought a brand new 4.0 Whipple and it sat in the shop for over a year before installing it due to being out of the country. I broke the snout off on the 3rd dyno pull and Whipple would not warranty it cause it had been a year and they said the warranty was up. But yet all you people want to blast me. Again I am sorry the buyer thinks I tried to get one over on him but that just is not the case. There was nothing wrong with that clutch and there where pics posted in the forsale add.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm going to side with the seller on this one. Used parts do not come with an indefinite warranty and it really doesn't look that bad IMO. Coming back over a year later on a judgement call isn't fair. It might be different if there were an actual broken part and it was brought up in a reasonable amount of time but the buyer has missed on both counts.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I'm with Brian, you can't buy a part and sit it on the shelf without even inspecting it, then A year later call the guy out for being a bad seller because the part doesn't meet your approval. Buyer should have inspected immediately.

Sent from iPhone

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My main goal of this thread is to express my frustration in the matter and to give a fair warning for whoever else who deals with him in the future.

I hate to say you should be frustrated with yourself. No way should a seller be put on the hook a year after the sale. You had every opportunity to open the box and inspect the goods. How could you give honest feedback on the sale if you didn't look it over?

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Let me start with the engine deal, As soon as he told me about the screw I worked out a deal that the buyer was happy with to make it right. To this day I dont know how that could have happen. As for high millage parts my car to this day only has 14k miles on it. I was working overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan when the clutch was installed in car. I literally drove to town twice, 6 dyno pulls and tried two passes at the track with the car. The engine it was behind makes 900+ rwhp. I have never miss lead anyone. I actually sold my Procharger kit that was on the 3v engine to only have the buyer email me saying the blower was no good. So I had him send it to Procharger and paid for a complete rebuild of the blower. If the buyer of the clutch would have had a problem with it over a year ago when he got it then it would be a different story but its been over a year. I bought a brand new 4.0 Whipple and it sat in the shop for over a year before installing it due to being out of the country. I broke the snout off on the 3rd dyno pull and Whipple would not warranty it cause it had been a year and they said the warranty was up. But yet all you people want to blast me. Again I am sorry the buyer thinks I tried to get one over on him but that just is not the case. There was nothing wrong with that clutch and there where pics posted in the forsale add.
Am I the only one that read this and read that he's sold THREE bad parts not two?

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
johnnyv8 - Understand your frustration. You should not only be upset at the seller, but, at yourself. You waited a year to make this known. I understanding things happen and you trusted him.

How can anyone really say the seller did no wrong? Do you want to borrow my reading glasses? Is it coincidence that a complete motor he sold was bad, johnnyv8's clutch and also a blower? I believe this guy is more knowledgeable than he is letting on and knew there were "issues" with the parts. Issues he himself may not think are issues, but, are issues to normal people like myself, johnnyv8, Taxman, etc.

I've seen good clutches and bad clutches. That clutch is in rough shape for the "100 miles" of use it had. I've changed clutches in 3 of my mustangs. My 03 Cobra was road raced and the clutch had over 10K of H A R D miles and looked like that. There appear to be uneven and rough surface marks. That isn't just dirt guys.

Either way, it's over, no need to rehash the problem. I would hope that Dave updates the list on the first page we created a while back to warn people of a possible bad seller. Only fair thing to do since it did happen on three occasions and we are not talking a bad bushing on a control arm. We are talking large, expensive parts.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Am I the only one that read this and read that he's sold THREE bad parts not two?

Oh I read that right. I really dont have alot of belief in coincidences.

Because of the time disparity, I dont believe jonnyv8 deserves and monetary refund, but I do believe he is warranted on calling the seller out on the questionable sale.

LBSRACING

forum member
Reaction score

Yes you read that right and left out how I had the Prochager rebuilt on my dime which was for almost what I got out of it and also refunded half I think it was on the engine. I did those because I was unaware of the issues. I did not build any of the engines or installed or removed anything from my car. I was lucky to even see it once a year due to being out of the country.

I believe this guy is more knowledgeable than he is letting on and knew there were "issues" with the parts. Issues he himself may not think are issues, but, are issues to normal people like myself, johnnyv8, Taxman, etc.

Either way, it's over, no need to rehash the problem. I would hope that Dave updates the list on the first page we created a while back to warn people of a possible bad seller. Only fair thing to do since it did happen on three occasions and we are not talking a bad bushing on a control arm. We are talking large, expensive parts.

I have never said I was unknowledgeable. I have never tried to miss lead anyone. Yes have had some back luck as I would call it selling parts. I am a diesel mechanic by trade and have always said so. I worked overseas while I was selling these parts. Always said so. I do not lie or try to miss lead people but I do understand where 3 bad sales over the course of like 3-4 years will look bad. I will just make it easy. I was gonna sell my car on here cause I have other things going on and need it gone and really just dont care for it anymore. No worries though I will not sell anything else on here.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Considering you have under 500 posts in 5 years and have several transactions here that have been questionable I would say that is probably best for everyone.

Last edited:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hate to say you should be frustrated with yourself. No way should a seller be put on the hook a year after the sale. You had every opportunity to open the box and inspect the goods. How could you give honest feedback on the sale if you didn't look it over?

I'm very frustrated with MYSELF! I'm out $750 because I didn't check the item in detail! I also made that very clear in my first post, in the first sentence. I think my review has been very fair and I did not put ALL the blame on the seller, however, some of the blame on myself.

johnnyv8 - Understand your frustration. You should not only be upset at the seller, but, at yourself. You waited a year to make this known. I understanding things happen and you trusted him.

How can anyone really say the seller did no wrong? Do you want to borrow my reading glasses? Is it coincidence that a complete motor he sold was bad, johnnyv8's clutch and also a blower? I believe this guy is more knowledgeable than he is letting on and knew there were "issues" with the parts. Issues he himself may not think are issues, but, are issues to normal people like myself, johnnyv8, Taxman, etc.

I've seen good clutches and bad clutches. That clutch is in rough shape for the "100 miles" of use it had. I've changed clutches in 3 of my mustangs. My 03 Cobra was road raced and the clutch had over 10K of H A R D miles and looked like that. There appear to be uneven and rough surface marks. That isn't just dirt guys.

Oh I read that right. I really dont have alot of belief in coincidences.

Because of the time disparity, I dont believe jonnyv8 deserves and monetary refund, but I do believe he is warranted on calling the seller out on the questionable sale.

I really need to get some detailed pictures up (not cell phone). But here's the deal. We have people who are saying the clutch doesn't look that bad & we have people who are saying the opposite. At the end of the day, I'm going listen to my buddy (who installed 3 other clutches in my car) who looked over the clutch in detail & said no way, don't install it. I ordered a new spec clutch that day! Like I said in numerous occasions, I competently take responsibility as a buyer for not over looking the clutch in detail- However, that doesn't change the fact that I'm unhappy with being sold an item not as described.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back