Ball joints are SHOT...

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
... what are you guys putting in to replace them? I heard that putting in the Ford OEM lower control arm isn't really a good option. So I want to hear from a few of you that have had yours go out and what you put in there place. From searching and reading already alot of people are saying the GT500 is a nice replacement but I also read you need 18's to use them.

This car is mainly a DD it will see the track (1/4 mile) about 3 times a year and I'm planning on taking it back to the road track this spring as well.

so lets hear it guys/gals...

OEM?
GT500?
Steeda?
FFRP? (do they even make one?)
other?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have the BMR A Arms and i think they use the steeda ball joints

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
When i lowered the car i had Steeda X5 ball joint pressed into the Stock A arms, they are designed for lowered cars and are supposed to help correct geometry after lowering.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
When i lowered the car i had Steeda X5 ball joint pressed into the Stock A arms, they are designed for lowered cars and are supposed to help correct geometry after lowering.

Yeah i was reading that on the steeda website a few hours ago. I heard you can not replace the factory ball joints. Tell me more about this if you can.

How do they ride? or do you even notice them?

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Yeah i was reading that on the steeda website a few hours ago. I heard you can not replace the factory ball joints. Tell me more about this if you can.

How do they ride? or do you even notice them?

Watched the mechanic pop the old ones out and use a clamp and a hammer to get the X5's in, took a lot of elbow grease and cursing but he got them in there, so it can be done. Can't really tell you how they ride because i swapped my entire suspension at once. I already had 18 x 9's so wheel size was not an issue for me.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Note that the Steeda X5 ball joints require 18 inch wheels. I installed mine in a pair of GT500 lower control arms.

http://www.steeda.com/products/x5_balljoint.php

Watched the mechanic pop the old ones out and use a clamp and a hammer to get the X5's in, took a lot of elbow grease and cursing but he got them in there, so it can be done. Can't really tell you how they ride because i swapped my entire suspension at once. I already had 18 x 9's so wheel size was not an issue for me.

They ride good? didn't notice any differences in ride quality.

Go with the Steeda X5

thanks for all the input guys...

So now I guess I need to find out if there is anything I can up grade to sence I only have these 17" wheels?

Rodeoflyer

forum member
Reaction score
Replace your front arms with GT500 arms. They are @$225, and come with better ball joints.

By the time you buy ball joints and pay to have them swapped out - upgrading the arms is easier, cheaper, and faster.

They do NOT require 18" wheels. I have them on my car, and I run 17's.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Replace your front arms with GT500 arms. They are @$225, and come with better ball joints.

By the time you buy ball joints and pay to have them swapped out - upgrading the arms is easier, cheaper, and faster.

They do NOT require 18" wheels. I have them on my car, and I run 17's.

{ high five } thats what I'm talking about man... thanks for the help now I just need to track a set down. lol

if anyone can point me in the right drection that would be great.

Last edited:

dkegel

forum member
Reaction score
I have a few comments on this...

First, if you get the X5 ball joints, you also need the bump-steer kit.

Second, you CAN install the X5 joints yourself. I did. You will have to rent a ball joint press, but it's not too difficult.

Finally... Although I think Steeda's site still does say this, the ball joints themselves do not require 18" wheels. It's the bump-steer kit that requires the 18" wheels.

Dave

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score

Second, you CAN install the X5 joints yourself. I did. You will have to rent a ball joint press, but it's not too difficult.

Finally... Although I think Steeda's site still does say this, the ball joints themselves do not require 18" wheels. It's the bump-steer kit that requires the 18" wheels.

Dave

aaa... now that makes more sence.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score

Dave

Also, FWIW, the bump-steer kit does NOT necessarily require 18" wheels... I can fit my Y2K Cobra R 17x9.5" +36mm on the car with a bump-steer kit with no problem. I also fit my STOCK 17" bullets on there as well...

dkegel

forum member
Reaction score
Also, FWIW, the bump-steer kit does NOT necessarily require 18" wheels... I can fit my Y2K Cobra R 17x9.5" +36mm on the car with a bump-steer kit with no problem. I also fit my STOCK 17" bullets on there as well...

I wondered about that. It seemed to me there was enough clearance for a 17" wheel but without actually trying it I didn't want to comment. Thanks, that's good to know.

Dave

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Deez: Unless you've lowered the car more than 1" or so up front, you really don't need to worry about doing the X5 ball joint, since your geometry is still good. It's when you slam the front that the roll center drops enough to compromise handling. The GT500 control arm comes with a stronger ball joint assembly for less than the cost of the ball joints and installation, so you're still in a good place!

Reaction score
I haven't replaced the ball joints on an s197 yet, but I have replaced the arms w/gt500s. I personally think that swapping the balljoints would easier. Unless it was because I was doing it on the ground, it was more of a pain than expected. Labor is something to be considered. I just put these things on a few months ago and I have a feeling that they are already toast.

When I saw a miller car wreck and have to swap out the passenger side arm in the paddock to get it back on the truck, I commented to the mechanics, "Not as easy as it looks, huh?" And the guy under the car grunted "ah..Fuckin aye. It's just four bolts! Four bolts have never been so difficult." I wish I didn't lose my camera from that day. I had some awesome shots.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back