Battery voltage/circuit question

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to chase down a possible parasitic voltage drain on my 08 bullitt. I recently replaced the head unit w/ one of the Raxiom units from AM. Also replaced the battery AND moved some after market gauges. I was going to used a mulitmeter on the battery and then start pulling fuses and watch for voltage drops.

So my question is....

If I hook up a volt meter in-between the negative cable and the negative post on the battery, should I see any values? Right now I'm seeing 12v on the meter. If I meter the battery itself, I'm seeing 12.7v.

Should I see voltage on a meter that's in-between the neg cable and neg battery post? Right now I can't see anything "on" in the car when I turn it off. The Raxiom unit beeps to verify turn off and all the gauges go to zero.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to chase down a possible parasitic voltage drain on my 08 bullitt. I recently replaced the head unit w/ one of the Raxiom units from AM. Also replaced the battery AND moved some after market gauges. I was going to used a mulitmeter on the battery and then start pulling fuses and watch for voltage drops.

So my question is....

If I hook up a volt meter in-between the negative cable and the negative post on the battery, should I see any values? Right now I'm seeing 12v on the meter. If I meter the battery itself, I'm seeing 12.7v.

Should I see voltage on a meter that's in-between the neg cable and neg battery post? Right now I can't see anything "on" in the car when I turn it off. The Raxiom unit beeps to verify turn off and all the gauges go to zero.

When measuring from battery to battery cable you should be reading AMPS/Milliamps, not voltage. Measure amps and report back to us what the reading is.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned you looking for current drops. Here is a decent vid on how to do it.

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
With my meter set on 10A reading, I'm seeing 0.36a worth of draw over the neg cable to neg bat post. I'm thinking that's pretty minimal on a car full of electronics. Just curious if anyone else has metered their current draw on the car when it's completely turned off.

Is a 0.36a draw normal?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
With my meter set on 10A reading, I'm seeing 0.36a worth of draw over the neg cable to neg bat post. I'm thinking that's pretty minimal on a car full of electronics. Just curious if anyone else has metered their current draw on the car when it's completely turned off.

Is a 0.36a draw normal?

.36 x 12.5 vdc = 4.5 watts....which will suck a start battery down quickly.

On older cars, leave the dome light on.... and come back after the movie..to a dead battery.

I have not checked my 2010 to see what idle current draw is. For a more accurate reading, use a lower scale if you have one. If using a digital meter, like a fluke 87, etc, the polarity of the test leads is a non issue.

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score

Is a 0.36a draw normal?

Start pulling fuses, one at a time, to see where the largest drain is.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score

Is a 0.36a draw normal?

The industry standard is parasitic draw starts around 30-50 mA (0.030-0.050 amps). Yours is about 10 times that. As someone already mention pull the fuses ONE AT A TIME until you find out which circuit is causing the issue.

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
turns out fuse #56 for the radio is one of the culprits. Pulled the fuse and the amps went from 0.36 to 0.1. I can live w/ that. Now I just have to figure out what's grounding on the radio I just installed. Next week... too many other things to do right now...

olds350

forum member
Reaction score
So I monkeyed around w/ the multimeter and fuses yesterday. I pulled the radio out to access the wiring and put the meter onto the neg post and neg cable. I watched the meter cycle through .7a and .3a in a pattern of 8 secs @ .7a and 4 secs @ .3a. This went on for about 15 minutes. I pulled every wire connection individually from the radio. What I found was when I pulled the largest factory connector, the amps dropped to .04a and stayed steady. When I hooked the connector back up, it started cycling again. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

I called AM and they said I needed to call manufacturer, Rosen. I told the Rosen tech what I was seeing and he said I had a bad unit. I called AM and a new unit is on the way. Now we wait....

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Good, hopefully the new unit solves your problem. Nothing like troubleshooting something yourself!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back