Bent UCA with 9" rear

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
we checked clearances when it was installed. all was good. unless something changed i have no problem. but if it did i think id notice noise or problems launching the car as the UCA is pretty important lol
So, you are running the CHE and not the Currie?

The Currie appear to have quite a bit more clearance...

I might be a little more lowered that FRPP, no rubber spacers underneath - bare metal on metal where the spring meets the axle...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
CHE UCA and currie 9" rear
Are you really, really sure?

just kidding...

I called CHE and they asked me to send an email link - so we shall see what they have to say...

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Really? I had heard they were ok for 08, but I guess I missed the memo for 07...
Yup....good for '07 along with 9" rear end and tubular K-member. This year you're ok for full front tubular suspension (a-arms included), slicks, and fuel cell.

GI Joe

Reaction score
Leonard racing racing has an interesting part he's been running for some time now that would prevent this problem. Check with Spyder on his "links"

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Leonard racing racing has an interesting part he's been running for some time now that would prevent this problem. Check with Spyder on his "links"

yeah but he's still testing them right!!!??? I think over a year is long enough. He better start selling them links!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yeah but he's still testing them right!!!??? I think over a year is long enough. He better start selling them links!
Are there some pics of these around? I see the ones on the web site, but I'd like to see them on the car...

If leonard wants to sponsor a test on a 9" rear, I'd be happy to help... :leghump:

I guess I wonder if they would violate the "stock attachment points" Ultra-Stang rules? I'd like to run as many of these events this year as I can get to so I am trying to stick to the rules, but evidently I am out of date on those rules...

Time for some reading...

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are there some pics of these around? I see the ones on the web site, but I'd like to see them on the car...

I saved a few that were off of the car. (can't find them). Yeah nice to see them mounted/loaded.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i think hes based in NJ. im less than an hour away if he needs a test haha

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
cekim,

Mine was bent as well, although i was having no adverse affects from it. Kevin stated it was bent about 5*. i went wit hthe Currie UCA this time.

After talking to the Tech at Currie, He stated most Aftermarket manufacturers place a straight, u shaped bracket on the UCA for mounting to the rear end. This is not the case with their uca, which is angled for the clearance we need. This should stop it from bottoming out and hitting, causing the bend

Oh yea, on a side note, i told him me and a few forum members had this problem and he asked which forum. He is giving the site to a coworker so we may have a Currie Employee as a memeber very soon haha

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
Oh yea, on a side note, i told him me and a few forum members had this problem and he asked which forum. He is giving the site to a coworker so we may have a Currie Employee as a memeber very soon haha

That would be me. hahaha. Let me know how that control arm works out for you. Obviously if you run into some clearance issues, Im going to bring it up in our next meeting so we can get some sort of solution to this problem figured out. After today, this was the first I have heard of this issue, and I have sold quite a few of these rears already. At least I have my car so we can test it out to make sure. Although hopefully you wont be running into that issue. The car we did all of our R&D on was a bone stock GT. I know once we finished the rear, along with the upper and lower control arms, they beat the crap out of it, and had no issues. Although it wasnt lowered either. So just let me know and we can go from there.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tbird, had already looked into those and concluded that in addition to raising the rear a little, the currie part would provide clearance without cutting into and potentially compromising another part... (as a result of the angle built into their part).

I just got mine today - starting the install this evening, I will post when I have results....

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After today, this was the first I have heard of this issue, and I have sold quite a few of these rears already.
Although it wasnt lowered either.
This is a key issue, most of us drop these cars at the dealer lot before we drive them off:samuri: (slight exageration, but only slight).

In addition to the UCA->housing clearance, I think I saw a body strike from the bushing mount on the top of the housing on mine - I am going to confirm while I am under there tonight. From the pictures I assume the Currie housing has bump stops on the axle tubes (the Moser does not). So, I am going to have to provide something in there to keep it off the body if I get more clearance....

It would be unfortunate if anything lower that "stock" height will cause clearance issues, but there really just isn't much room back there. a 1/4 to 1/2 raise on my car should still be a reasonable ride-height for the car, but it remains to be seen what travel that will leave me with.

At any rate, I will try to keep up with the pictures as I move things around. Its getting late tonight, I won't have anything before wed/thu...

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
This is a key issue, most of us drop these cars at the dealer lot before we drive them off:samuri: (slight exageration, but only slight).

Yeah, I know how that goes. haha. just not on this car. lol. Let me know how it goes and if you could snap some pics that'd be awesome. Ill keep them on my computer at work so if anyone else has any concerns, I can show them it will work. (pending that there are, in fact, no clearance issues.)

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know how that goes. haha. just not on this car. lol. Let me know how it goes and if you could snap some pics that'd be awesome. Ill keep them on my computer at work so if anyone else has any concerns, I can show them it will work. (pending that there are, in fact, no clearance issues.)

Welcome to the site man. Glad you could make it. I will let you know how it turns out on my car as well!!

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the site. You have the right guy testing your parts, if Ron can't break it no one can. Be sure to add the "Ron tested" mark to your parts, it is like UL or CE for Mustang owners.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if Ron can't break it no one can.
Judging by this part, Ron's even breaking things he doesn't know about:samuri:

BTW - glad you found that Ron, as I said before, this doesn't look like something unique to my setup - space is just very tight up there, if every last free inch of travel is provided, it will hit...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the site! Glad to have you.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back