Best cams for a 5-speed DD? Want all opinions

Redfireshaker06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm thinking its time for some power increase. What would be the best cam for a car with 5-speed, 4.10's, JLT CAI, Steeda UDP's, Mac Prochamber and Pypes mid muffler exhaust. keep in mind that it is a daily driver. That mostly gets driven in traffic. Idle not to rough, but I want the most power I can get without affecting the driving to much. Are no spring required a waste of money? Or would that be good. Any advice would be great guys. Thanks in advance.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
i would go with nsr's. the hot rod cams are more about loping than making power. and the difference in power between the nsr's and the spr's is 10whp MAX. the nsr's work very well with stock heads and intake, anymore is almost too much. and the nsr's are cheap. i can vouch that i got a healthy power increase from them and they dont lope that much.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Comp 127300 or 127500 depending on VCT or lockouts.

06iornhorse

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know why people say the horrod cams don't preform I picked up thirty hp after the install and retune. This was the only mod that was done to the car that day and we did before and after pulls. I really think the people that don't see power out of them are not having the car tune. I would not recomend them to the OPer because if he drives in alot of heavy traffic they can be a pain in the ass. And I really don't go buy dyno numbers and really feel to much is put in to them. I go buy the track numbers and I picked up .2ths in the 1/8 mile after install. That proves to me that they do preform.

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
Ford racing hot rods provide lots of power, around 30 to be exact. They seem to be the best for dd set ups.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know why people say the horrod cams don't preform I picked up thirty hp after the install and retune. This was the only mod that was done to the car that day and we did before and after pulls.

Understand I'm not throwing a b.s. flag, but I would be interested to see dyno sheets on these if they are available. I'd have to say 30hp with a tune and FRPP HR cam swap is a bit more than cosmetic and also contrary to what I have "heard." With regard to the word "retune," I am assuming that the car was "tuned" before the cams.

Last edited:

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
i vote for comp 127300 or bbr cams. i also wouldnt do any cams without also adding delete plates.

rivercitypony

forum member
Reaction score
Brenspeed's site shows a Comp NSR Stage II cams before install and after install dyno sheets. The car had no mods, except for a C&L Racer intake. The result was about a twenty hp gain. As for the above poster's claim that Hot Rod NSR cams got him a thirty hp increase, without LTs, just show us the dyno sheets. Think about it, most guys are getting around 30 hp with Comp VSR cams, which require a spring change. If the Hot Rods perform that well, then Comp's VSR cams and the much higher cost of parts and install will become extinct as a mod.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
honestly a tuner can make the dyno show you the numbers you want to see. i personally dont care about numbers, i just want whatever makes my car faster.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
FRPP HotRods + Traffic = Misery

And from my understanding most NSR cams will give you the same bucking issues at lower rpm coasting. Im not saying the it doesnt sound incredible and you WILL pick up a decent amount of power but the fact is drivability will suffer.

Back