Best street rotors/pads for the money?

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
My Non-brembo GT has about 30k miles with warped rotors and I figure it's time to replace the rotors and pads.

Looking for rotors that hopefully won't warp or rust. What's the best for the money these days?

Just a street driven car, no track use.

Thanks!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Centrics for rotors, which should be available through Tire Rack.

Carbotech 1521's/Bobcats or possibly AX6's for pads. Hawk's HPS pads don't bite much better than OE, and the HP+ pads complete the picture of being dusty and a bit noisy by having a big appetite for iron (your brand-new rotors might not last as long as the HP+'s).

Norm

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
^^^ This. I went through KNS Brakes for the rotors (and my XP pads since they do pre-bed). Vorshlag for the Bobcat pads.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, couple of questions:

Are the Carbotech 1521’s really worth more than twice the price of the StopTech street pads? Also, are the Carbotech’s fine for all season weather? Here in NY during the winter we can see temps below zero some days.

With regards to the rotors, I’m not sure why, but I seem to have a bad habit of warping OEM rotors. Like I said, I’m someone who drives easy 95% of the time and I also leave a nice gap between me and the person in front of me, and I brake very easy and gradually too. Maybe it’s just a combo of Long Island traffic and the rare high speed runs in Mexico. I guess all it takes is one or two times of braking from 120+ mph to warp a rotor. Either way, Which Centric rotor would be best? Do you think their regular ones can hold up, or should I look into the cryo treated ones? Really would like to avoid warping.

Also, how are their rotors when it comes to rust resistance? Hate when I go to get in my car after work if it rained and see the rotors with the surface rust.

Thanks again.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I have stop tech pads on my 08 and I really like them. Lots of bite, relatively low dust, and QUIET. I used them in MI and they worked well, even on cold mornings. Very inexpensive too.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
You're not warping the rotors - they can't warp. You're probably depositing pad material onto them and/or overheating the rotor surface by holding the brakes on after a hard stop or otherwise using the brakes hard.

I think I have stoptech's on my car, it came with performance friction pads, in comparison I really like them. Very good for street driving, quiet, low dust, etc..

AFAIK EBC makes some rotors that won't rot. My oem stuff has rust around the outside, but it's not visible.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks, couple of questions:

Are the Carbotech 1521’s really worth more than twice the price of the StopTech street pads? Also, are the Carbotech’s fine for all season weather? Here in NY during the winter we can see temps below zero some days.
One of the nice things about the Carbotechs is that all the different formulations are compatible with each other. While this is more important if you ever get into tracking, it also means that if you were to decide to try a different Carbotech pad you don't have to worry about pad to pad compatibility issues if you don't need to have the rotors cut to remove any grooving.

I'm sure that the 1521's would be good year round, and more than likely the AX6's would still be OK with perhaps a little caution on the first couple of stops. Down near Philly it's a little warmer (barely into the +single numbers this past winter) and I've been OK with pads that are somewhat above AX6's, again with a little care on the first stop or two.

With regards to the rotors, I’m not sure why, but I seem to have a bad habit of warping OEM rotors. Like I said, I’m someone who drives easy 95% of the time and I also leave a nice gap between me and the person in front of me, and I brake very easy and gradually too. Maybe it’s just a combo of Long Island traffic and the rare high speed runs in Mexico. I guess all it takes is one or two times of braking from 120+ mph to warp a rotor. Either way, Which Centric rotor would be best? Do you think their regular ones can hold up, or should I look into the cryo treated ones? Really would like to avoid warping.
I think I used the 125 series Centrics. Managed to heat-check the fronts after about five track days, but the rears are still on the car six track days later. That I don't have AdvanceTrac and always turn the TC off may be helping.

Heavy braking from 120+ could be overheating your OE pads and leading them to put uneven pad material deposits on the rotors. It is also possible that the individual 'cheeks' on one or more of your rotors is not of even thickness. This leads to uneven temperature rise and expansion during braking.

Also, how are their rotors when it comes to rust resistance? Hate when I go to get in my car after work if it rained and see the rotors with the surface rust.

I don't think there's any way of avoiding where the swept areas of the rotors pick up a little surface rust after a rainstorm. Really, it's not worth worrying about because the first two or three stops will clean it all off anyway.

Incidentally, for those 120 - 0 stops you don't want drilled rotors (the holes are pre-made places for cracks to start at). Slotted seems to be OK, dimpled = maybe (I have no basis for opinion on them).

Norm

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
One of the nice things about the Carbotechs is that all the different formulations are compatible with each other. While this is more important if you ever get into tracking, it also means that if you were to decide to try a different Carbotech pad you don't have to worry about pad to pad compatibility issues if you don't need to have the rotors cut to remove any grooving.

This is why they are worth the expense for me. I switch between 1521's for street & autocross and XP10/XP8 for track. They are also supposed to be easy on rotors compared to the competition.

For the rotors, I just used the Centric premium. They will get surface rust like any iron rotor after being hit with water. That goes away after one stop; the center hats are painted black, so no ugly rust there.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
rock auto.
power stop drilled & slotted and zinc plated rotors. ceramic pads with hardware kit.
$141 front axle kit KC1384
$132 rear axle kit. KC1380
+ shipping.
google discount code get 5% off also.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Been running hawk HPS for a while, no complaints and stops hard.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hawk HPS 5.0. Regular HPS if the 5.0s aren't made for your calipers.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
281591202375. Roush performance (overstock )has some slotted rotors for a killer price. Look and see if they will fit your application.
NIB, just overstock.

Last edited:

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
281591202375. Roush performance (overstock )has some slotted rotors for a killer price. Look and see if they will fit your application.
NIB, just overstock.

Says 2005-2010. But it looks like all they are is Ford OEM rotors that they slotted.

Last edited:

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Sorry about that. Just saw them and thought I would mention it.
GL
**they have lots of parts listed as overstock, that's not listed on the site, if you would like to call. I ordered from Nicholas.

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
Check out Rotorpros:

http://www.rotorpros.net/

I think they use Centric rotors, but you can get the centers painted any color and their prices are great. I got a full set of drilled and slotted rotors and they came with ceramic pads. I still have the rears on, but replaced the fronts with a bbk. Very happy with them. The rears have not rusted after about 3 years, but my car is garage kept and rarely sees rain.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back