best way to launch 2012 5.0 gt auto on street tires?

dline

forum member
Reaction score
going to the track saturday for the first time, what have you guys found is the best way to launch an auto car 5.0 on the oem 19" pirellis??? thanks

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Foot brake & throttle to where it starts to push the car, and let go of the brake and mash the gas.

PABADBOYS

forum member
Reaction score
1600rpm you can go higher but that is my cars sweet spot 23psi in the tires

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you do a decent burn out on the factory tires, they actually like a little heat unlike most street tires.

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
you'll want to try a few different launching techniques, i tried the way fdjizm said several times and it didn't work too great, 2.2 60'. Next time I go i plan on trying to hold the brake, no gas, then once i'm ready to go just mash the gas to the floor, once it hits the floor release the brake. I've been told that should work well... my 2007 auto liked to leave at idle. seems every car is different.

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
+1

I've been trying to launch this car and I can't break a 1.94 60'. And that's with 373's, ET Streets and a 2,300 stall

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Forget it, just give in now and buy some ET Streets! LOL

Or, quick burnout to clean off the tires, mash gas from idle on third yellow light. Leaving with any load on the tc would cause my 60ft to be worse. Best 60ft I ever got on street tires was a 2.1

dline

forum member
Reaction score
Your guys tips helped thanks, do most auto guys manual shift to higher rpms on each shift? Instead of letting it auto shift into each gear, and into overdrive?

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
When my car was stock, I actually cut the best STOCK 60' just smashing the gas. I didn't foot brake it or anything. I just hit the gas and went and cut a 1.9x 60' I can't remember the exact numbers, but by foot braking and trying everything else I was in the 2.0-2.1 range with my auto.... when it was stock. Once I got a tune in the car, that was a little different. I foot braked it to about 1500 and then went. I cut a best of a 1.89 60' on the stock tires. Then I put in a Circle D convertor, some gears and a set of BFG Comp T/A drag radials and I was cutting 1.55 60's :)

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
Your guys tips helped thanks, do most auto guys manual shift to higher rpms on each shift? Instead of letting it auto shift into each gear, and into overdrive?
With a tune, it should shift a the top RPM, so I don't see any value with manually shifting your auto.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
My best results were just mashing the gas off idle. Braking past 1200 would just spin the tires. Just leave it in D and let it do the shifting.

nordy racer

Reaction score
i was cutting 1.96 on my stock GT auto two thursday ago. did nice burnouts and foot brake to about 1100 to 1400rpm.. tires were set at 23 to 24psi warm..

she went 8.37 at 86mph

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back