Better sound with Long tubes?

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I just put on jba longtubes with the off road hpipe. It still sounds too raspy and I am pretty sure it is because of the flowmasters. I have been considering putting weld-in cats on or resonators. Also thought about stock mufflers or seeing if someone wanted to trade mufflers with something. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do or which muffler to go with. I want the raspiness toned down and to be a little quieter.

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have an X or H? I went with Kooks, a catted H and initially Flowmasters and didn't like the cackle so I went to FRPP Stingers and love the sound... no cackle and nice and deep.... the only problem is they drone horribly at 2000 rpm.

outalime05

forum member
Reaction score
Corsa is expensive but the sound is awesome and no drone

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have Mac headers, an offroad Prochamber, and Magnapacks. I'm happy with how throaty and nasty it sounds. It gets a little raspy when I get on it, but not much at all. I had Flowmasters before, and I like the Magnapacks better.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I would love to change the mufflers but I am afraid that even after that it will still be too loud and will need to put cats or resonators on anyway. I thought the h pipe wouldve taken away the raspiness since I used to have an x pipe with the flowmasters. That didnt sound good at all.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Try resonators or the "Quite" magnaflows, ive heard the Magnaflows on Full exhuast and its not as loud as Flows with an OR mid pipe.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I dont mind the loudness but my wife does. It is more the loud raspiness that gets to me. Really drones in the car. Plus, I swear I wake the neighbors when I start up at 6am.

s197shockwave

forum member
Reaction score
Heh.......
My set up sounds pretty nice and its free!!!!
Get a 1 3/4" hole saw and drill out a hole right infront of the muffler , no one can see it but it sounds sick.
Part throttle and idle is just a bit laoder and deeper than stock but full throttle sounds like a NASCAR.
Thats what I have and I have yet heard an S197 with just an axle back sound better.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If its to loud.... Hows it go... Oh yea "Your to old"

LOL

I dont mind the loudness but my wife does. It is more the loud raspiness that gets to me. Really drones in the car. Plus, I swear I wake the neighbors when I start up at 6am.

Corsa's are a great muffler for that.... IMHO... quite at idle and scream at WOT

not much idle in this clip....but some WOT (stock exhaust)

http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/stkjock/?action=view&current=MOV01E.flv

[PHOTOB]http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/stkjock/MOV01E.flv[/PHOTOB]

Last edited by a moderator:

1FastS197

Reaction score

i like it throaty but a little loud too! i bought some GTA's and like the way they sound but they are kinda quiet... waiting on the tune to put the o/r x-pipe on... maybe it will be a little louder now... i don't have neighbors tho! lol...

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I have JBA LT's with cat'd h-pipe and jba mufflers, mine doesn't have any raspyness to it. It very loud and throaty at WOT.
So I'm guessing it's your flows

vastang757

Reaction score

Tell your wife to get some ear plugs. And who care's if you wake the neighbors? If they don't like it they can move. My car is loud as shit and I haven't gotten any complaints. I leave for work at 6:30 every morning and live in a neighborhood w/ a lot of older/retired people

cobradrivr

forum member
Reaction score
I just put on jba longtubes with the off road hpipe. It still sounds too raspy and I am pretty sure it is because of the flowmasters. I have been considering putting weld-in cats on or resonators. Also thought about stock mufflers or seeing if someone wanted to trade mufflers with something. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do or which muffler to go with. I want the raspiness toned down and to be a little quieter.

I know everyone has their own taste in sound of exhaust, I personally love the raspy sound of flowmasters, I bought magnapacks for mine and would prefer flowmasters, If you lookin to trade then i would be game, Pm me if you interested..

TorchedGT

Mustang Operator
Reaction score
a friend of mine with an 09 has bbk long tubes, off road x, and stock mufflers..its sounds really good. he cut the stock tip off them and welded on the tips from his magnaflows on it. he has mutha thumpa cams also..sounds awesome at idle..

Shades

Reaction score
ARH Lt's and catted x pipe w/ MAC exhaust. LT's louden shit up ten fold and stay away from my set-up if you want quieter. MAC's are LOUD and I might be looking for something quieter myself soon.

Off-Topic: stkjock, I love the WOT Corsa sound, you dont happen to have any other videos of it idling or just normal driving do you? (I know YouTube has some but the quality of those usually suck.)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back