Biker hits Corvette at Deal's Gap "The Dragon"

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It looks like there are pictures missing. Looks to be a couple of frames per second right up until picture 18. Then picture 19 the guy is already flipped over the car and headed toward the ground.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Hawg, I was thinking the same thing too. Looks like he took a couple of the "worst" pictures out.

I've been to the Dragon many times, and not a day went buy that somebody didn't leave in an ambulance, dead or alive.

First day there, a guy got ran over by a truck, DOA.
Next day spent most of the day trying to get a guy with multiple fractures up a 100 foot embankment.
Next trip my best friend totaled his new sport bike the first day.
The list goes on, but the moral is, don't go to The Dragon unless you are ready to die, or see someone dead or mangled. Even if you slow cruise through, some jack hole is going to cross over the line and take you out, like this cruiser bike guy.

Classic example of target fixation. It's like watching a train wreck watching this clown straighten his bike up instead of keeping his lean in the turn. Watch the road, not the camera, ass hole.

Vette guy should have gotten out and stomped on his head, helmet or not.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Thinking he was going a bit too fast for the corner too. I did notice he didn't pull the newby move and brake in a lean. He was upright before he applied the brakes so I can't tell if he's a total newby or not. The brakes do go off/on when he's upright though so he didn't keep them applied throughout and I'm not really seeing any kind of dive on the bike so I'm thinking he didn't apply the front nearly as hard as he should have either. Waving to the camera and pulling the shit he did sure puts him that category though. Both hands on in a corner.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
It almost looks like he tried to turn too hard and bounced it up off the peg/frame and that threw him back the other way...
I agree there are some frames missing

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thinking he was going a bit too fast for the corner too. I did notice he didn't pull the newby move and brake in a lean. He was upright before he applied the brakes so I can't tell if he's a total newby or not. The brakes do go off/on when he's upright though so he didn't keep them applied throughout and I'm not really seeing any kind of dive on the bike so I'm thinking he didn't apply the front nearly as hard as he should have either. Waving to the camera and pulling the shit he did sure puts him that category though. Both hands on in a corner.

Def a newb. You do all your braking with the bike straight up, let off while you start your turn, make only one lean and roll gently on the throttle through the turn to keep weight on the rear and a smooth transition form outer lane, to inner apex, and then to outer lane. Try for one steering input per turn, no braking, smoothly rolling on the throttle, keep your eye one where you want to go, because that is where you are going to go....

or something like that.

This guys was a jack ass and too busy waving.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It almost looks like he tried to turn too hard and bounced it up off the peg/frame and that threw him back the other way...
I agree there are some frames missing

He was straight up and down when he hit the vette, when he should have been at full, ground freakin grinding lean the whole way through, throwing sparks like he was cutting a groove into hell, or China, whichever came first. Heck, the Vette was almost off the road trying to get the fuck out of his way, to no avail.

I have ground out every part of a motorcycle in a turn from the foot pegs to the handle bars, and they never "bounced up". It is like a grinding attachment on a dremel, if it bounces off, add more pressure, smoothly.

Last edited:

Downs

forum member
Reaction score
Why anybody still runs the Tail is beyond me. There are many other less crowded roads in the area. The last time I did it was in '09 and it was already like a parade even during the week.

It's not too bad if you get out there before 8 or 9 in the morning. I'd stay well clear on the better roads in the area after that time. The Cherohala Skyway is getting pretty bad too as far as high traffic and people riding like idiots.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back