Billet Belt Tensioner Now Available

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
After seeing some supercharged GT's with factory tensioners fail at the track, Steeda has developed a new Billet tensioner. It's available for all S197 4.6's, and can be purchased in one of two configurations, with the stock pulley, or with a new billet pulley. We also have a version available for GT500's. PM or call me if you need one.:beer:
belt_tensioner.jpg

w/ Factory pulley: part# 555-3347/ $119.95
w/ Billet pulley: part# 555-3348/ $159.95

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that looks exactly the same as the KB super tensioner. yea i snapped the arm from the base on that one. the stock ford tensioner help up better.

Once you strengthen the arm you move the weak spot to where the arm attatches to the base and the bearings inside. the entire arm will bend away from the base. my ST motorsports frankentensioner did that and so did the KB One which were both strengthened arms. The only one proven to hold up to the ause so far is the thumprrr

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
Well, good thing you have no reason to be biased towards the Thumprrr. :)

We have been testing it on our Q500 cars that have in the area of 460hp at the wheels (adaptive tunes by the way) and we have not seen any issues that would cause failures. They also aren't running 20 lbs of boost either.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, good thing you have no reason to be biased towards the Thumprrr. :)

We have been testing it on our Q500 cars that have in the area of 460hp at the wheels (adaptive tunes by the way) and we have not seen any issues that would cause failures. They also aren't running 20 lbs of boost either.

Im biased only to what works. the ST motor sports, Stock tensioners, KB tensioners did not work. RR did not work. Thump_RRR did. The product mentioned above is a strengthened arm, and unless you changed the insides will fail. You can get the same product from KB for about 75 bucks so again its overpriced. And i wasnt running 20lbs of boost i was only running 10psi

Are you implying the Tune has something to do with the tensioner? if so ill start laughing now.:beer:

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
Im biased only to what works. the ST motor sports, Stock tensioners, KB tensioners did not work. RR did not work. Thump_RRR did. The product mentioned above is a strengthened arm, and unless you changed the insides will fail. You can get the same product from KB for about 75 bucks so again its overpriced. And i wasnt running 20lbs of boost i was only running 10psi

Are you implying the Tune has something to do with the tensioner? if so ill start laughing now.:beer:

Um, no, I wasn't implying that the tune had anything to do with it, just mentioning what gets the hp to that level.....

anyways, we have been running the tensioner on our Q650 for 6 months now, and on our Q500 for a little less, with no issues with regular track and street driving. What we have seen with failures of the stock tensioners, is that a person's driving style contributes to a lot of the issue in regards to shifting on the track. Some of the superchargers have an awfully long belt for what they are being asked to handle during powershifting.

Forward Performance

Reaction score
After seeing some supercharged GT's with factory tensioners fail at the track, Steeda has developed a new Billet tensioner. It's available for all S197 4.6's, and can be purchased in one of two configurations, with the stock pulley, or with a new billet pulley. We also have a version available for GT500's. PM or call me if you need one.:beer:
belt_tensioner.jpg

w/ Factory pulley: part# 555-3347/ $119.95
w/ Billet pulley: part# 555-3348/ $159.95
That doesn't look like a billet tensioner to me....it looks like a piece of billet welded to a stock cast tensioner.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i was jsut about to say the same thing

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
This is why I love this site, it takes the place of my wife during the day for picking apart every little word I say.:clap:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
here are the remains of the KB super tensioner which is the same as the steeda, a stock arm with a billet plate welded to it. Like i said it moves the weak point to where the arm meets the base

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0432.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
tensioners are a very testy subject to me hah. Just letting people know so they dont make the same mistakes i made and spend the money i did

Last edited:

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
tensioners are a very testy subject to me hah. Just letting people know so they dont make the same mistakes i made and spend the money i did

I just like to remind people this is like YellowBullet, the weak and noobs are killed and eaten here. That's why I love it.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
don your sig is longer than my entire screen

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
Lots of free bumps for your thread Steve!
Making Don's sig is an honor, even for a short time. Screenshot FTMFW!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back