Block Coolant Drain

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
I want to do a complete flush of my cooling system. Dealership mixed green/orange coolant, and although it may be "okay" I wasn't having it. I previously drained it out, and continued filling/draining with tap water unit clear, then adding concentrated coolant. However now I'd like to completely drain the block, and use distilled water. Anyone know if there is a coolant drain in the block?

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
Steve
In front of the oil pressure sensor on the block there is a core plug that you can use to drain most of the block coolant. When refilling please use a vacuum system like Air Lift to draw a vacuum on the radiator/engine and then draw in the replacement coolant. It will ensure there are almost no air pockets in any coolant passage. Also it will let you know if there is a leak anywhere in the system, if it holds vacuum/no leaks if not you have to find it.
Steve

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
There is no threaded plug? I'd rather not start pulling core plugs to be honest..

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Some shops have special transfer pumps where you fill the tank and hook it up to the car. Then it transfers the fluid 1-1 and replaces it with what you have in the machine. This is about the only practical way to get distilled water into your coolant system.

I've never done it, used hose water on every vehicle I've owned for over 30 years. Flush it out, drain as much as you can and then fill it up with straight coolant. On almost every single vehicle this will give you about a 50-50 coolant/water mix.

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
BlockHeater50L.jpg

$T2eC16FHJGoFFvjq9O,DBR+M5yN3Gw~~60_35.JPG

Why couldn't I use the threaded plug where the factory installs block heaters

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I have read that the distillation process eliminates minerals in water, so that it is chemically hungry, and corrodes the metal lining the system.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have read that the distillation process eliminates minerals in water, so that it is chemically hungry, and corrodes the metal lining the system.

I have never heard that before.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
BlockHeater50L.jpg

$T2eC16FHJGoFFvjq9O,DBR+M5yN3Gw~~60_35.JPG

Why couldn't I use the threaded plug where the factory installs block heaters
Steve13GT
That is the core plug I was talking about, I replaced it with a brass 1/2" to 1/8" NPT bushing and put my autometer temp sensor in there for coolant temp.
Steve

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Distilled water is pure water and just like your car doesnt stay clean after you wash it, the same happens with distilled water it wants to leach minerals from the surrounding surfaces. Its fine to flush with it, but not use it as coolant.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back