blow thru conversion bov question

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Im thinking maybe the 34mm size might be ok size for current setup. I don't plan on making more than 8-10lbs boost after adding the intercooler, but I might have to upgrade to a larger size when I forge the motor next year and pulley down.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
First, in a blow-thru setup the BOV should always be mounted pre-MAF and preferably pre-intercooler. No need to waste cooled air. Second, if you're going blow-thru I would just dump it to atmosphere, as recirculating hot compressor air back to the compressor is just going to make it hotter/increase IAT's.

BOV size is nothing to dick around with IMO. I dont care how much or how little boost you run, that pressure needs to be relieved, the sooner the better. I've seen a Vortech after its suffered blower surge, the bov makes a cool sound but the blower takes a beating. By all means a 34mm will probably get the job done without risk of damage to the head unit, but I'd just go with a 50mm and be done with it.

I have the red race valve from procharger. The thing is a beast, and its obnoxiously loud. A closed style BOV can be quieted easier than an open style like mine, though.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Im aware of of where to place everything just didn't knowif the size would be ok. From what i gather, this dual port valve will only recirculate 50% at most and will be much quieter while normal driving. I know its still recirculating some hot air but i dont believe its enough that the intercooler couldn't handle. From lookingmore into this style of bov it seems a lot of cars are using them from factory. I did more thinking though and the stock a2a kits for the paxton have two bypass valves so i think having the one at 34mm will be too small. Thank you for your response bud.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok after researching i have went with the Tial QRJ model. It came down to Vortech maxflow or mondo, procharger race valve (enclosed) turbosmart big bubba, and tial QRJ I made the decision based off flow numbers, price, ease of installation, and looks. For being a 38mm valve the QRJ has some respectable flow numbers, outflowing the maxflow and pretty close to mondo numbers. The versatility of how to install the valve is awesome as well, different choices of inlets and outlets. I got the vband inlet and 1.5in tube outlet so i can recirculate the air to the power pipe or anywhere id like. (Dont want the jet sounds) i am finished collecting my parts for the blow thru conversion and will likely start it next weekend.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:beerchug2: If you have any questions or need any pointers with the swap, let me know.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
I will bud, im going to pick up that 340 pump kit from you later today. Hows the install on that? Has the hpx shipped?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes hpx shipped, install isn't too bad, I also offer full kits with them installed in the hat already ready to drop in as well. Pm me your email and I can send you some directions for the install so you can see for yourself.

Back