Blowfish racing Brake Cooling Kit- $190--

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
The guy that makes these claims that he made the best backing plates for the car, better than FRPP and Vorshlag. I have the FRPP kit and have been happy, no brake issues so far.

FWIW, I think Vorshlag has the nicest backing plates but they are twice as much.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Brake ducts are a no brainer if you are tracking a car. FRPP on mine as it included the grill insert ducts

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
So the kit has everything? Where are the ducts that go into the front of the car? I am personally running Vorshlag 3" kit with FR500S ducts

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Let's say...yes?

I have to imagine that most guys fabricate something?

Sorry; the point I was trying to make is that unless you're on a road course, you'll get zero benefit from brake cooling ducts. Street use doesn't really heat up brakes, and although autocross can potentially heat up brakes, you're not moving fast enough in an autocross for brake ducts to pick up enough air.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Sorry; the point I was trying to make is that unless you're on a road course, you'll get zero benefit from brake cooling ducts. Street use doesn't really heat up brakes, and although autocross can potentially heat up brakes, you're not moving fast enough in an autocross for brake ducts to pick up enough air.

Well...this is corner carver's....

That kit on AM doesn't have the grille inlets but I do have a pair for the Boss Fascia sitting here that I'm never going to use that I'd sell.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Just remember to keep the air inlets in a high pressure zone, typically, within the grill and perpendicular to the airflow against the nose. The further out towards the sides of the fascia, the lower the pressure and resulting lower airflow to the rotors.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
The guy that makes these claims that he made the best backing plates for the car, better than FRPP and Vorshlag. ...
FWIW, I think Vorshlag has the nicest backing plates but they are twice as much.
I bought the Blowfish ones and doubt the Vorshlag ones are "nicer;" certainly not given the cost difference. The Blowfish ones are sooo close to the rotor I'd find it hard to believe any other ones delivered more air to the center of the rotor.

I went custom on the front inlets because I far prefer NACA style as opposed to a 3" diameter cross-section. I abuse the sh*t out of my brakes though.

My only complaint about the Blowfish backing plates is that the brake hose was unnecessarily hard to pull on.

Voltwings

Reaction score
I bought the Blowfish ones and doubt the Vorshlag ones are "nicer;" certainly not given the cost difference. The Blowfish ones are sooo close to the rotor I'd find it hard to believe any other ones delivered more air to the center of the rotor.

I went custom on the front inlets because I far prefer NACA style as opposed to a 3" diameter cross-section. I abuse the sh*t out of my brakes though.

My only complaint about the Blowfish backing plates is that the brake hose was unnecessarily hard to pull on.

I think this is my first post on this forum, long time lurker but i felt i'd chime in just to say that's the difference with the Vorshlag ones. Vorshlag uses a pipe that's 3" OD so that its easy to get a 3" ID hose over it. That's all, back to lurking and reading for me.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The guy that makes these claims that he made the best backing plates for the car, better than FRPP and Vorshlag. I have the FRPP kit and have been happy, no brake issues so far.

$189.99 for Blowfish vs $195 for Vorshlag (+$80 for optional and better quality 3" double-wall brake cooling hoses). Yea, that's not "twice as much", bub. #CommonCoreMath :)

The Blowfish ones are sooo close to the rotor I'd find it hard to believe any other ones delivered more air to the center of the rotor.

vorshlag-4inch-197-plates-M.jpg

These are very different designs. Our design has the plate covering the rotor face, to minimize bleed from inside the rotor ring. Most laser cut flat designs just cover the inside of the rotor opening.

DSC_3580-M.jpg

The backing plates we use for our 3" and 4" S197 brake cooling backing plate kits are the actual OEM Ford stamped dust shields, which have more of a 3D shape instead of the flat, laser cut shape of all other S197 backing plate kits out there. This raised "pocket" inside the rotor ring area does lend itself to putting more air inside the rotor ring and also aims more at the hub itself.

DSC_3845-M.jpg

That said, we're switching to a flat laser cut design because these are just TOO DAMNED EXPENSIVE to make this way. As in - we don't make any money at $195/pair. We have to buy the OEM plates (not cheap), plastic bead plastic the paint off (outside shop), modify them/cut/weld the tubes in place, then powder coat the finished pieces (outside shop). Four trips back and forth to outside shops is also a PITA (and an in-house powder coating facility is fiscally foolish, before someone chimes in with that "wisdom"), too much labor, too much cost. I suspect we have 10 times the labor time in making a pair of these than a laser cut piece (where the holes are all cut and they only have to weld on the tube).

DSC_3576-M.jpg

And it seems that our $5 premium over the laser cut style backing plates is just too much to bear for many folks, so we're not going to bother to "make them with a better design" and are instead switching to a flat, laser cut design, with a price reduction. Why? Because nobody cares. Its all about the cheapest American-Muscle-forum-sales-discount-free-shipping deal.

"You win". We'll go cheap and simple, like the rest.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
but....but....his bias!

think of the $5 that could go in a strippers G-string!!!

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
The backing plates we use for our 3" and 4" S197 brake cooling backing plate kits are the actual OEM Ford stamped dust shields, which have more of a 3D shape instead of the flat, laser cut shape of all other S197 backing plate kits out there. This raised "pocket" inside the rotor ring area does lend itself to putting more air inside the rotor ring and also aims more at the hub itself.

That said, we're switching to a flat laser cut design because these are just TOO DAMNED EXPENSIVE to make this way.

The raised pocket design makes sense in principle. What I wonder is how much of a difference it makes in practice. Have you guys gathered brake temperature data between a flat laser cut design and the raised pocket design under otherwise same conditions? It would be interesting to know how much of a difference the pocket really makes.

If the difference is minimal, then you're definitely better off going with the laser cut design (why spend a bunch more money for minimal effect?). If the difference is more than minimal, then wouldn't it make sense to offer both designs, and make the pocket design only on demand and at enough of a higher price to make it worth doing? You could advertise the advantage of the pocket design with the actual data, if you have it, and let customers make their own decisions as to whether or not the pocket design is worth the price of entry. If you backed the superior design with data showing its superiority, I'd bet the serious track rats would go with that even despite the higher price it would command. But then, maybe they'd go for the 4" ducting, leaving precious little market for the 3" pocket design.

I dunno -- you know the market better than me. I'm just thinking out loud.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score

$189.99 for Blowfish vs $195 for Vorshlag (+$80 for optional and better quality 3" double-wall brake cooling hoses). Yea, that's not "twice as much", bub. #CommonCoreMath :)
Apples:apples it is twice as much at $90.

I think it's a little silly you guys only charge $80 extra for the hose and clamps and Blowfish charges $100 for just the hose. If you guys are specing the same 600*F hose I like to get from RPW (p/n THE-SS300) then you probably aren't making any money.

The Blowfish ones are sooo close to the rotor I'd find it hard to believe any other ones delivered more air to the center of the rotor.

These are very different designs. Our design has the plate covering the rotor face, to minimize bleed from inside the rotor ring. Most laser cut flat designs just cover the inside of the rotor opening.

That said, we're switching to a flat laser cut design because these are just TOO DAMNED EXPENSIVE to make this way. As in - we don't make any money at $195/pair. We have to buy the OEM plates (not cheap), plastic bead plastic the paint off (outside shop), modify them/cut/weld the tubes in place, then powder coat the finished pieces (outside shop). Four trips back and forth to outside shops is also a PITA (and an in-house powder coating facility is fiscally foolish, before someone chimes in with that "wisdom"), too much labor, too much cost. I suspect we have 10 times the labor time in making a pair of these than a laser cut piece (where the holes are all cut and they only have to weld on the tube).

And it seems that our $5 premium over the laser cut style backing plates is just too much to bear for many folks, so we're not going to bother to "make them with a better design" and are instead switching to a flat, laser cut design, with a price reduction. Why? Because nobody cares. Its all about the cheapest American-Muscle-forum-sales-discount-free-shipping deal.

"You win". We'll go cheap and simple, like the rest.
I overdesign the shit out of everything I've ever sold and pass that cost along to the customer, so believe me when I say I feel the struggle. In most areas I'm willing to pay extra but in a few cases like this one I'd rather forego the 3D feature for a less expensive (really, labor-intensive) design.

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score

Terry...I really like you but c'mon. I guess there are a few things lacking down in Texas.

https://www.blowfishracing.com/brak...-brembo-brake-cooling-diy-backing-plates.html

The question asked was about backing plates, so indeed they are twice as much (actually a little over but who's counting). I also said you guys do have the nicest ones, as you wonderfully explained to us. I guess the question is from a financial standpoint, do yours provide twice as much cooling? If you can show me they do, I'll tear them off the car and buy yours.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back