Midlife Crises

Reaction score
oem spec pistons but forged
Forged pistons require a different wall clearance than cast pistons. Usually more clearance because forged alloys grow more than cast alloys do. Have the ne shop check your block before you buy pistons so you know what size to order. Also, there is no need to lower the compression ratio like was done in the “oil days”. Keep the compression right around stock.

Anthonioj

Reaction score
The best way to figure the shop time? Calculate what you're going to spend for parts and mods? And double it. They might be an extreme way? But, it helps avoid sticker shock later.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The cost really runs away quick with engine builds. I kept mine down because the only work I farmed out was the balance job.

Good luck, Andrey. I know a stock engine would meet your goals for a fun weekend car.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the suggestions, for everyone interested here is an update so far: So i got the used motor with 6k miles on it (pretty lucky find), right now motor is in the shop getting new gaskets and oil gears, after that somewhere early next week it should be in the car. After that stage 2 procharger kit goes back on the car with procharger fan and shroud over new mishimoto radiator. Hopefully road will be smooth and wont encounter any issues with the kit and that i didnt loose anything when removing it lol. Later next week car will go to a different shop for a dyno.

Reaction score
UPDATE No 2 (Ran into some unexpected surprises)
For people who are interested, the whole thing got pretty delayed but the replacement motor had all its gasket replaced and was ready to go in the car. Yesterday i get the call from the shop and they are telling me they cant put the motor and trans in. Long story short i bought this car in 2018 ish and i had no clue what was done on original motor and it appeared that it has a 8 bolt crank and 8 bolt flywheel in it. Im pretty positive all 05-10 3vs came with a 6 bolt crank. It might seem that i managed to blow up a built motor of some sort, but who knows the trans is tcet5757 which is tr3650 so it is an oem trans as long as i understand. I got new clutch kit and 6 bolt flywheel and technically everything should be back together. Eventually i will take old motor apart and see what had happened and what it had. Anyone had 8 bolt cranks for some reason on their s197 from factory?

Reaction score

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Engine builds are kinda scary, shit can get out of hand dollar wise quickly. I have an 06 m90 car that gets beat on at the track every month since 2009. It has over 750 passes with 430 whp. Stock motor with cams, LTs etc and Lito tuned. I have had the 5r55 rebuilt at around 500 passes and the car has been faster ever since. PB is 12.10@112. I bracket race the car and depending on DA its quite consistent in the 12.2 range with a 2k DA. We rarely get under 1k here in the islands.
I hope your build goes well and look forward to the results. Good luck bro.

Reaction score
Engine builds are kinda scary, shit can get out of hand dollar wise quickly. I have an 06 m90 car that gets beat on at the track every month since 2009. It has over 750 passes with 430 whp. Stock motor with cams, LTs etc and Lito tuned. I have had the 5r55 rebuilt at around 500 passes and the car has been faster ever since. PB is 12.10@112. I bracket race the car and depending on DA its quite consistent in the 12.2 range with a 2k DA. We rarely get under 1k here in the islands.
I hope your build goes well and look forward to the results. Good luck bro.

Thank you so much!
So far im already over the budget as you said lol, it does add up quickly
So far the list:
Since for some reason my 06 motor had 8 bolt crank and the used 05 has 6 bolt crank i had to go and buy 6 bolt McLeod lightned flywheel along with whole clutch kit since im there already
Motor has 6k miles on it (at least was stated so and i saw the car it came off from), but still decided to go ahead and replace every single rubber gasket on it- motor looked as clean as it gets inside
Got boundary oil pump gears
Threw in short throw shifter from hurst
Got a mishimoto radiator (hope will have no clearance issues with procharger piping and huge crank pulley that kit comes with, but i saw someone use it with it so i should be fine, 160 degree thermostat
Got 47 pound injectors (Lito recomended those if i want to go e85)
Brisk 1 heat range colder plugs
SR performance maf, in case oem one will peg during tuning
S550 6 piston front brembo conversion (will do a separate post for it, since its litterally a direct fit with the right parts and extremely affortable for our cars that came with shitty brakes)

Clutch comes tomorrow, shop should wrap up with swap by wednesday (fingers crossed)
Then will get tuned by the man Lito and should be good to go

DieHarder

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it....Does the car already have a Hand held tuner (SCT?) and a wide band AFR & gauge (to monitor Air-Fuel-Ratios). I use an AEM 30-4900 (Boost/AFR) gauge. Kinda assuming it does since it was procharged? If not, you still need something to make logs for Lito so he has the info he needs to make changes to the tuning tables; especially under boost...

His base tune will get you running; after that he needs engine logs; which you can get from a handheld tuner (or laptop connected to it) but you also need a wideband sensor in the exhaust and it would help a great deal if you could give him outputs on Boost & AFR (hence, the AEM or similar type gauge setup). Lito is the best tuner we know but there's a reason; he custom tunes each engine while it's running and under load. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

See attachment. Actually, setup isn't all that bad. I did it and I'm in my mid-sixties. Didn't quite understand all of the parameters and other details at first but I'm getting it. So, If I can do it anyone can. I'll do a write up as I'm able on the setup and post. Just have to find enough free time between work and the honey-do lists to get it done.

Attachments

• 30-4900 Wideband Failsafe Gauge.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it....Does the car already have a Hand held tuner (SCT?) and a wide band AFR & gauge (to monitor Air-Fuel-Ratios). I use an AEM 30-4900 (Boost/AFR) gauge. Kinda assuming it does since it was procharged? If not, you still need something to make logs for Lito so he has the info he needs to make changes to the tuning tables; especially under boost...

His base tune will get you running; after that he needs engine logs; which you can get from a handheld tuner (or laptop connected to it) but you also need a wideband sensor in the exhaust and it would help a great deal if you could give him outputs on Boost & AFR (hence, the AEM or similar type gauge setup). Lito is the best tuner we know but there's a reason; he custom tunes each engine while it's running and under load. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot.

See attachment. Actually, setup isn't all that bad. I did it and I'm in my mid-sixties. Didn't quite understand all of the parameters and other details at first but I'm getting it. So, If I can do it anyone can. I'll do a write up as I'm able on the setup and post. Just have to find enough free time between work and the honey-do lists to get it done.

Thank you, yeah i was running this procharger setup on the previous motor- i do have afr and wideband gauges so im all set. I talked with lito already about everything through. I have a tuner that i just purchased as well

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds good dude.
Thank you so much!
So far im already over the budget as you said lol, it does add up quickly
So far the list:
Since for some reason my 06 motor had 8 bolt crank and the used 05 has 6 bolt crank i had to go and buy 6 bolt McLeod lightned flywheel along with whole clutch kit since im there already
Motor has 6k miles on it (at least was stated so and i saw the car it came off from), but still decided to go ahead and replace every single rubber gasket on it- motor looked as clean as it gets inside
Got boundary oil pump gears
Threw in short throw shifter from hurst
Got a mishimoto radiator (hope will have no clearance issues with procharger piping and huge crank pulley that kit comes with, but i saw someone use it with it so i should be fine, 160 degree thermostat
Got 47 pound injectors (Lito recomended those if i want to go e85)
Brisk 1 heat range colder plugs
SR performance maf, in case oem one will peg during tuning
S550 6 piston front brembo conversion (will do a separate post for it, since its litterally a direct fit with the right parts and extremely affortable for our cars that came with shitty brakes)

Clutch comes tomorrow, shop should wrap up with swap by wednesday (fingers crossed)
Then will get tuned by the man Lito and should be good to go
Keep us updated. I've given a lot of thought on what I would do if mine blew up. I honestly don't know. I'm happy running low 12s bracket racing. 11s puts me in the Pro Sportsman class and I'd rather be a faster car in a slow class the the opposite. Lol.

Reaction score
Sounds good dude.

Keep us updated. I've given a lot of thought on what I would do if mine blew up. I honestly don't know. I'm happy running low 12s bracket racing. 11s puts me in the Pro Sportsman class and I'd rather be a faster car in a slow class the the opposite. Lol.

Lol, i get what you are saying, im not racing the car or anything - just making a fun weekend getaway car. Its honestly impressive that you push your power on stock block and beat on it all the time and it lives, gives me a lot of hope lol

Reaction score
Update: First start was today with start up tune provided by Lito, everything went well, sounds healthy - sent him the datalog and waiting for a correction tune and will go for a first drive. Thanks so much to everyone who helped and gave advice!
Its been a hella long month of waiting

Reaction score
Update 2: Car running good, little notorious 3v cam phaser tick on the passenger valve cover, nothing major, will probably do cam phasers and rocker arms soon or later, other than that, everything runs good, put the bumper, lights and everything else back on. Finally on the road after a year of sitting!IMG_4431.JPG

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry, I am pate to the party.

Four Eyes on YouTube has a video laying out the parts and his expense paid for his 4.6 build. I have found its a nice reference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back