2006 Roush build

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I've been waiting awhile to post this so forgive my excitement if I ramble. Im starting the rebuild on the 2006 Roush I picked up a few years ago. In 2002 I picked up a new GT Mustang, had it about 13yrs, nitrous, ProCharger, KB, forged, cammed, full exhaust, bla bla bla......besides the longblock rebuild and the tranny rebuild I did all the work installing the parts so I'm confident in my abilities with a wrench. I dont get into "lift, compression, duration, cam degree, etc"...I enjoy the building part of it. I did do the cam install on the 2002 GT but didnt degree the cams, just got lost in the literature lol! So far the 2006 is similar to my 2002 so Im finding my way around the engine pretty quickly

My car will be used for mainly pleasure weekend driving, probably wont see a track or road course unless I just go for fun, cruise nights. For whatever reason 650rwhp is what stuck in my head so Id say thats my power goals. I have no ideal if the setup I'm planning will get me that but I have no desire to go over that if its possible. Powers not reeeeally my deal but definately want to get the most outta what Ive got. In order to help you help me I'm gonna give full disclosure. What I have now is.....

2006 Roush Vista Blue 5spd 180k miles
New On3 76mm turbo kit
New 2 On3 fuel pumps (plan to get another)
New DFC clutch
New On3 3 pump fuel hat
New PBR shock/struts
New cross drilled front back rotors
S550 used front calipers that I've painted
New SS brake lines......
........and $19,000!!!!

Currently in my MMR cart I have $5400 worth of motor parts, thats really the only place I know of. Im getting the rotating assembly, turbo cams, head studs, billet oil pump, gaskets, follower & lifters, springs, timing components, cam bolts,brisk plugs,crank bolt,....ask all the questions you want on this to make sure i have everything.

I'm going to have Lashbrook rebuild my tranny...$2200 im guessing. Doing a return fuel system so gonna need new fuel rails & regulator $600 and have to educate myself on doing the fittings for the lines. Im doing some sort of new front seats so $1000 on that. Buddy's shop is doing the tuning...FIC 1000 injectors and BA5000...$1000. Fuel and boost gauges $550. Wanting to do electric boost control so $1000 for EcoBoost controller and electric waste gate. Loved the MagnaFlow catback I had on my 2002 so looking at that $800

Just with whats up there I have $12550 worth of money already spent. Still have to pay to get shortblock built....so its going fast lol

My tech question right now is......I was going to order a FRPP intake but have seen where guys lose in the midrange but gain on the top end. Im more into in town driving so the mid range is more important to me I guess. The pistons Im getting are -18cc dished which i think will give me 8:5 compression, it was suggested to me to lose the FRPP intake and upgrade to the $1600 kit which will allow me to get -6cc pistons giving me more compression....I dunno anything about that stuff lol. The intake is a huge cost so if im gonna lose midrange im OK losing the intake

Oh yeah....new wheels and tires so $3000....now i only have $4000 left..is it even possible, imma try I guess. Kinda just throwing all this out there to get the ball rolling on some options....thanks for any input!!

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
There is no way I would ever drop my compression to 8.5-1. Intercooled 9.5-1 or more. 6cc dishes are doable.
Im not sure what itd be with -18 pistons really. To be honest i dont know what stock is. Id rather get the cheaper -18 piston kit but since im gonna give up the intake I'll spent the extra $200 and up the compression if itll help.

I really want 4 different tunes..2 gas 8-12lbs boost and 2 e85 tunes 12-+ boost but really just one gas and one e85 is good for what im gonna do. Thinking about giving up electric boost control but man itd be cool to have i think

springs $350 new alt $350 k member $550 gears $400

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Im not sure what itd be with -18 pistons really.
I don’t know what Roush did to that motor in that year but they did lower the compression on some of the blower equipped vehicles they produced. A stock 4.6 3 valve Mustang has 9.6-1 compression. I’m running 6cc dished weiscos with stock heads for 9.5-1 compression and hit it pretty hard at 16psi or a little more. Helps with the torque when not in boost.

Laga

Reaction score
I don’t know what Roush did to that motor in that year but they did lower the compression on some of the blower equipped vehicles they produced. A stock 4.6 3 valve Mustang has 9.6-1 compression. I’m running 6cc dished weiscos with stock heads for 9.5-1 compression and hit it pretty hard at 16psi or a little more. Helps with the torque when not in boost.
A stock 4.6 3V is 9.8:1.
My new forged pistons put me at 10.12:1. This will still allow pump gas if need be. I do run E85. Manufacturers usually drop the CR of their boosted cars to keep them on pump gas.

Hallowdweller, skip the local tuner and go with Lito. You will not regret it. I just rebuilt my motor and have enough miles on it now that I will be sending Lito a datalog of the rebuild. After that, it’s a trip to the dyno.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The Roush 2010 427R (and also the 2010 Roush 540 hammer, same eng) came with a TVS-2300, and a fully built motor. CR was reduced to 8.5:1 CR... and 14.5 psi boost. Engine was rated at 540 crank HP. It was under rated. They all put out 525 rwhp with the roush tune. Any tuner, like VMP, could get a lot more out of them, with just a 93 octane tune. But the 2 x graphs (oem tune + VMP tune) converged at 6 krpm. The problem was the oem airbox would not flow enough air, even with a K+N panel filter. If an open air cone filter was used, then it went up even more.

IF they had used the stock CR of 9.8:1 they would not have required any where near 14.5 psi boost.
When out of boost, 8.5:1 CR isn't doing you any favor's.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
So if I get the -6cc dish, retaining 9:8 compression, at what boost/hp level do you guys think the 93 gas tune would max out at? If I could hit 650 on gas I may not even do E85, just figured I’d have to for 650..?

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
If you guys don’t think the On3 kit will be able to produce 650 feel free to say so. I’ve read the good and bad and think I can get the kit to work for me, may need to replace turbo if I wanna go higher, but if I slap it on there and it only makes 400hp that’s what it is I guess lol!!

Laga

Reaction score
If you have convenient access to E85, there’s no reason not to run it. The lower IAT’s offer so much performance with an increase in safety against detonation.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
If you have convenient access to E85, there’s no reason not to run it. The lower IAT’s offer so much performance with an increase in safety against detonation.

E85 is typ 105 - 107 octane. Detonation is a non issue. Then you can advance the timing a bunch more....vs 93 octane.

650 rwhp is way over the top for a street car. It will just spin the rears in 1st-2nd-3rd gear. 550 rwhp is more than ample, and even then, you will have traction issues, unless rear tires are chosen carefully, and suspension dialed in.

650 rwhp is probably doable with 93 octane....600 rwhp for sure.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
According to the app I just installed there’s 2 stations in my town that have it so running it won’t be a problem.

Was gonna go down today and get new wheel bearings and ran across this….you guys think this is junk stuff or OEM parts? Can’t see where it says, just says “replacement”

7A82FD49-1C0F-43C6-91F5-2B7A2958DFFE.jpeg

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
650 rwhp is way over the top for a street car. It will just spin the rears in 1st-2nd-3rd gear. 550 rwhp is more than ample, and even then, you will have traction issues, unless rear tires are chosen carefully, and suspension dialed in.

650 rwhp is probably doable with 93 octane....600 rwhp for sure.
Yeah I was at 450 with my KB 2V 9lbs and traction was an issue. The 650 is really just to hang the dyno sheet in the garage kinda thing, just to see if I can do it. Goal with 2V was 550 but never got there. I’ll run some sort of drag radial but I was on the 2V too

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I’ve always ran 3.73 gears but thought about going to 3.90’s this time. Does FRPP make a 3.90 gear? Can’t seem to find any. Ran across this….good or bad?

C4E372C3-EE8C-4B5D-A1E7-FFADD8C19A1A.png

DDB54E9A-DB85-40F8-82AD-D8D0A4C56D85.png

MrBhp

Reaction score
The On3 kit will run the number you're looking for. I've installed a few. They are frustrating to install. You will need to use your imagination to make it fit. Maybe. Maybe not. It's like wrenching on a hot rod 30 years ago. You never really expected things to fit like OEM. Move the radiator towards the front. You can get about an inch of movement with slight modification to the mounts. Buy the heat blankets for it. It's a tight fit, but worth it. Traction will be an issue, but much less so with the turbo than a PD. I run an e-Boost on mine. I'll never run another turbo without it.

DieHarder

Reaction score
According to the app I just installed there’s 2 stations in my town that have it so running it won’t be a problem.

Was gonna go down today and get new wheel bearings and ran across this….you guys think this is junk stuff or OEM parts? Can’t see where it says, just says “replacement”

View attachment 83478

Junk. You'll be lucky to get two years out of it. Better to buy the OEM GT-500 version. Will cost ~ $100 - 150 more.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Yeah, have a store 2 blocks away…E85 it is!!

Junk. You'll be lucky to get two years out of it. Better to buy the OEM GT-500 version. Will cost ~ $100 - 150 more.
Where can I look at the ones your talking about? I googled it and it pulled up the same place, listed the GT500 version but was $30 more.

Ordered the -6 forged piston/rod kit, timing chain kit, turbo cams, springs, follower/lifter kit, retainers, cam cap ARP bolts, brisk plugs, crank bolt, valve cover gaskets….$4600shipped

gonna start asking particular questions in separate posts, post pics as I make progress

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
First company that pops in my head to finish tour build? Brenspeed
He has a YouTube channel
Also on YouTube: Four Eyes
He has a video breaking down the parts and prices for his build.

We have many choices in parts, but seems to me less companies are now carrying S197 parts

Laga

Reaction score
First company that pops in my head to finish tour build? Brenspeed
He has a YouTube channel
Does the YouTube channel mention the shitty tunes and non-existent customer service they are known for?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back