Guide for Replacing Fuel Injectors

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I've been sitting on some upgrade parts for a few months and need to get things going again. I need to install the bigger injectors but have never done them, can't find a "good" tutorial on YouTube, and my usual shop wants $500 to do them. Ill tackle it myself for that price. Is there anything so difficult about the job that warrants that price? Are there any special tools needed? And last question is regarding the fuel mess on the few YT videos I've watched. "After pulling the pump relay, crank the engine 2 or 3 times to get the fuel out of the rails". But then they remove the injectors/rails and there's still a shit ton of fuel leaking everywhere. Obviously, I could clean it up later, but I'd prefer to avoid that altogether. If I do this myself, how can I minimize that mess?

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
Cranking with the pump unplugged only relieves fuel pressure so it doesn’t spray everywhere. The rail will still have fuel in it.

It’s a pretty straight forward process. Unplug all the injectors, remove the intake cover if you have it, then disconnect the fuel line. That will leave some fuel there too.

Then there are 4 bolts that hold the rail down. Unbolt those and wiggle the rail and pull it up. I’d recommend blowing away any dirt from around the injectors before removing them.

Swap the injectors on the bench, and reverse the procedure for install. Use some Vaseline on the o-rings to get a smooth install so you don’t tear one.

If you’re installing bigger injectors, you will need a tune. Otherwise it will run too rich.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Cranking with the pump unplugged only relieves fuel pressure so it doesn’t spray everywhere. The rail will still have fuel in it.

It’s a pretty straight forward process. Unplug all the injectors, remove the intake cover if you have it, then disconnect the fuel line. That will leave some fuel there too.

Then there are 4 bolts that hold the rail down. Unbolt those and wiggle the rail and pull it up. I’d recommend blowing away any dirt from around the injectors before removing them.

Swap the injectors on the bench, and reverse the procedure for install. Use some Vaseline on the o-rings to get a smooth install so you don’t tear one.

If you’re installing bigger injectors, you will need a tune. Otherwise it will run too rich.
Alright cool, thanks. Definitely not a $500 job then. Was really hoping for a way around the fuel mess, but it is what it is.
Im aware of the tune part. There will be a couple other things getting upgraded at the same time.

Only possible issue I can see i getting the passenger side rail out with the TB and S/C intake hanging over the rail. Looks kinda tight, but ill make it happen

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
Alright cool, thanks. Definitely not a $500 job then. Was really hoping for a way around the fuel mess, but it is what it is.
Im aware of the tune part. There will be a couple other things getting upgraded at the same time.

Only possible issue I can see i getting the passenger side rail out with the TB and S/C intake hanging over the rail. Looks kinda tight, but ill make it happen
Definitely not $500 worth of work. You may have to remove the throttle body, but that’s a case by case basis, just depends on clearance.

bambam 06

Reaction score

my usual shop wants $500 to do them. Time to find another shop!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back