BMR K Member Brace

Miker

Reaction score
I sent a pm to Norm Peterson and see he hasn't been active since January 23. Maybe someone here could answer my question.
My question is if Ford had a K member brace on the 2005 and up verts and then added it to the late 2007 coupes forward would my 2005 coupe benefit from this? I do not have the factory tabs that the oem brace bolts to but this BMR brace bolts directly to the LCA rear bushing mount. Is it wasted time and money?

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have one on my 05’ and had one on my 06’…. I think it tightens up the front end.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Norm pasted away last year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I sent a pm to Norm Peterson and see he hasn't been active since January 23. Maybe someone here could answer my question.
My question is if Ford had a K member brace on the 2005 and up verts and then added it to the late 2007 coupes forward would my 2005 coupe benefit from this? I do not have the factory tabs that the oem brace bolts to but this BMR brace bolts directly to the LCA rear bushing mount. Is it wasted time and money?

The Ford oem 'A' arm brace actually ties the back end of the Ford K member. My 2010 GT came with it.
The BMR 'A' arm brace actually DOES tie the A arms together. ( steeda also makes their own version of the A arm brace). I have BOTH the oem ford A arm brace and also the BMR brace. The BMR brace resides aprx 6" in front of...and parallel to the oem ford brace. The braces solidify the front end.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Norm passed away last year.

That's sad news indeed. Norm Peterson's words of wisdom were an asset to our community.

My 06 GT doesn't even have the OEM A-arm brace so I'm thinking of getting this one:

https://buystifflers.com/lower-chassis-brace-05--14-/

I've also fabricated a custom undertray to cover the triangular space formed by the K-member to improve the underbody aerodynamics. Hopefully I'll get it all bolted on in the fall once the hot weather subsides.
There'll be plenty to do by then 'cause I have a large box full of other parts to go onto the car, and it's due for a major service since it's only 600 miles away from 100k.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Not highjack your thread...

Is this what you are looking for? Grey brace all the way on the left, they are off 06" GT Convertible... The pic of it installed on the car is my 05' GT and YES it has double braces!

IMG_0737.JPEG IMG_7897.jpg IMG_7908.jpg

If so and interested, it's for sale 05-10 Grey Kenny Brown 2-Point Lower Chassis Brace $50.00 + S&H

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I mean... its not critical. You won't feel the difference.

Places like Ballast My Ride and Kenny Brown Magic Brace are always going to make as many shiny bolt-on braces as possible, because folks will ALWAYS buy shiny doo-dads thinking they will unlock some magic sauce.

It won't.

DSC_4375%20copy-L.jpg

Stop wasting money and time on braces and trinkets for your track-centric S197 builds. Here are the suspension / chassis things that make an S197 faster + easier to drive on track. Things that DROP TIME.

• Camber plates up front
  • Better spring rates (not lowering springs!)
  • Real dampers (monotube coilovers - not OEM based stuff and esp not twin tubes!)
  • Wider/stickier tires on properly wide wheels (11" wide or more)
  • Larger and adjustable swaybars
  • Front LCA bushings (Poly/Delrin)
  • Rear lower control arm relocation brackets
  • Adjustable upper and lower arms that are NOT poly
  • A proper Watts Link, or at least an adjustable panhard bar
  • Aero / downforce elements

That's pretty much the entire list.

_DSC0251%20copy%203-L.jpg

Cheers,

JC SSP

Reaction score
All good stuff and I have a lot of what you listed already, but most of us don't track our cars, so it's the compromise of street comfort and handling prowess. There's always the confusion and misconception of what works on the track will work on the street and vice-versa.

I can personally attest to braces and structural reinforcements being beneficial as my 06' GT was wrecked and the body was damaged but chassis for the most part remained in-tacked protecting the occupants who were my kids driving the car at the time.

The body/chassis shop owner who is has over 40 years of experience and a personal friend of mine even stated that without the aftermarket braces & supports, specifically the Kenny Browen radiator support and Steeda jacking rails... the Convertible GT would have crumbled under the impact.

Again, I am not a chassis expert or a race car driver, just a guy who has owned, played and raced with several cars from; 911S Porsche, WS6 Trans Ams, Fiero GT and more Mustangs V8s than I can count on one hand.

Miker

Reaction score
Didn't want to start or restart a war on bolt on braces. I read the other thread on the subject that got a bit heated. I just thought if Ford engineers added that particular K member brace to the late 2007s forward that they must have had a reason.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Your good buddy and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It's your car, do what you want with and enjoy it.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
...most of us don't track our cars, so it's the compromise of street comfort and handling prowess. There's always the confusion and misconception of what works on the track will work on the street and vice-versa

How would some bolt-on doo-dad help on the street but not on track?

Also, this was asked in the CORNER CARVER RACING TECH DISCUSSION sub-forum, not elsewhere.

I can personally attest to braces and structural reinforcements being beneficial as my 06' GT was wrecked and the body was damaged but chassis for the most part remained in-tacked protecting the occupants who were my kids driving the car at the time.

The body/chassis shop owner who is has over 40 years of experience and a personal friend of mine even stated that without the aftermarket braces & supports, specifically the Kenny Browen radiator support and Steeda jacking rails... the Convertible GT would have crumbled under the impact.

Yea that sounds like a heck of a stretch there, JC. A body shop owner does see some crashes, but he's not exactly a structural engineer. He is probably telling you what you want to hear. And yes, its always nice to be overly safe with your kids, but putting them a convertible with some braces ain't really the best plan, maybe.

I've got a similar story from a real 15+ year former Ford engineer who now works as a crash investigator for one of the largest rental companies in the world. He flies out to crashes where there were deaths to investigate things. He told me this:

He and his family only drive full size trucks and SUVs on the street. Big, heavy full-framed monsters.​

Because that is what "wins" in car-to-car crashes. The highest mass, modern structural engineering, high strength steel and metal alloys, with a full roof and enclosure, and lots of airbags. That is what gives you and your kids the most safety on the street in a crash, not driving around in a car with the roof cut off (convertibles "crash" poorly) with a few brackets bolted to the underside.

Again, I am not a chassis expert or a race car driver, just a guy who has owned, played and raced with several cars from; 911S Porsche, WS6 Trans Ams, Fiero GT and more Mustangs V8s than I can count on one hand.
I get it, you are being honest here.

But I am also being honest with everyone... I could sell all sorts of doo-dads, could make braces for S197 and newer cars and people WOULD buy them, and I would make money. I choose not to, because as an engineer and racer of 35+ years I know - it is all smoke and mirrors. A pure deception, a cash grab.

Don't fall for the bracket nonsense with an S197 or newer chassis.

IMG_3993-L.jpg

Again, the Fox / SN95 and earlier cars aren't a fraction as rigid as the S197, S550 or S650, and they might see a tiny improvement with a triangulated strut tower brace. I have one in my S550, but its there mostly to hold the 8 coil packs we remote mounted. ;)

Cheers,

Miker

Reaction score
20230902_092426.jpg 20230902_092434.jpg 20230902_092440.jpg 20230902_092543.jpg 20230902_092512.jpg So while under my car doing the oil change I noticed that my early (Feb 05) had the tabs and holes for the factory brace that the verts and 2008 forward GTs got. Got one for $36 from Jegs and bolted it up this morning. Contrary to what a few have posted here it was an instant improvement. I recently installed Koni STR-T shocks and struts, GT500 front LCAs, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar end links, and GT500 rear LCAs. While all that made a huge difference it really amplified the terrible road conditions that I am forced to drive on. This little $40 part somehow made those bumps less jarring. Also pushing it a little in a few corners it felt a little lighter on it's feet as in it didn't seem to want to push the front end or understeer at all.
I know the placebo effect. This isn't it. That cheap little bar made a noticeable difference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back