bmr k member shipping

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
I received my BMR tubular k member today and was happy and a bit angry at the same time. Happy to finally get my hands on one of these to make working on my turbo car quite easier, but angry about the poor packaging. The k member was just put into the box without any protection other than the box itself. The box with the engine mount bushings, bolts, etc. was just tossed in with it. Id expect the extra box to be attached to the k member with some shipping strap to stop it from bouncing around during shipping.

The package was delivered to me and there were holes from where the k member had punctured the box during shipping. I understand that the ups guys arent the easiest on packages but a couple bucks in some foam wrapping couldve prevented a couple spots where the powdercoat was rubbed to bare metal. I mean even $120 lca's come wrapped in foam and then boxed...

To the guys that have them and ordered them new, how did yours come shipped?

pics:

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

The k member looks great other than that and I cant wait to install it but the shipping really killed some of the joy of getting it.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Mine arrived the same way. Not sure why it matters though unless you live under your car. If the K member can handle holding the front of the car together I'm sure it can handle getting tossed around during shipping.

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
I just got finished with por-15'ing the rear axle. I guess I'm just one of those people that even if you can't see the problem, I know it is there. Lol

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
That's how mine came. There was no damage at all. Like the others said it's a non issue. Blame the shipper for tossing it around.

whoapony

forum member
Reaction score
Tron, I hear ya! It's called attention to detail, it kinda makes you wonder why someone would go through the trouble of painting the part a bright red color and having their name on it if it doesn't matter how it gets to you! Also, if they skimp on a couple of dollars of packing material, what other corners are cut?

The other guys may be right, the part is fine overall, but I think people/stores should take pride in their products!

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Not that it will hurt anything, I just don't want a new part to start having rust spots the same month that I put it on. UPS and FedEx Ground use a lot of automation to move pkgs to cut down on and guarantee transit time. When the part can move around in the box it's going to eventually bust out. BMR is a good company and takes pride on their workmanship. Maybe they aren't aware of this issue.

Three basic things are needed to prevent this from happening:

1. The part cannot be allowed to move inside the container.

2. The container must have the appropriate burst strength for the weight of the part.

3. The part must be wrapped in a protective wrapping to prevent wear from friction inside the
container.

Last edited:

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
The foam will not prevent that. The foam w the arms is to prevent them from knocking the shit out of ea other and chipping the powder coat off one another.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Mine came in the same way, not worried about it but I agree they should look at getting them delivered without this happening.

BMR makes great products, has great customer service and this is the last thing in someones mind. Easy remedy. Heck they might not even know it is occurring.

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
The foam will not prevent that. The foam w the arms is to prevent them from knocking the shit out of ea other and chipping the powder coat off one another.

My umi panhard bar came in a separate box by itself and it was wrapped in foam as well. This is a $500 part, I don't think I'm asking too much for $10 in foam to protect it.

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
Also being that I work in the aftermarket industry I have seen plenty of different types of packaging, so I do think I have a good gauge of how a part should be packaged.

Robstang

forum member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me except, with the "brand X" part. Also a couple of washers came out of the box with all the hardware in it.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I just got finished with por-15'ing the rear axle. I guess I'm just one of those people that even if you can't see the problem, I know it is there. Lol

I am with you. Most people do a horrible job packing and then blame the shipping company as well as complain about the shipping charge.

Let's see I can charge you $50 for shipping but the box might get tossed around so take a few extra minutes and pack properly.

or

I can charge you $150 and I'll handle your box like want.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I agree with you, I'd be a little irritated if my brand new part showed up like that. I know no one's going to see it, but I would know it's there, and it would eat me up just knowing.

Email/call BMR about it?

GT.350-R

3PEDLS
Reaction score
I can't beleive Kelly hasn't chimed in on this. They (BMR) do a pretty good job on everything else. I think my K-Member was perfect when I recieved it, and pretty picky about that stuff.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I apologize for this occurrence.

We have received feedback from a few people about their boxes being "torn up" over the years, but this thread has shed some light on the situation.

At this time, we are working on resolving the issue; however it is not as easy as one probably thinks.

The K-Member fits in the box, just barely. In order to charge a realistic shipping rate, the box must meet a specific criteria.

In order to satisfy our customers, we must make some changes. If the only change we make is padding the K-Member edges, the shipping cost will increase by $50 thanks to a UPS "Large Package" Fee. Of course, this price would be passed on to our customer, and we are not interested in charging $100+ for shipping each and every S197 K-Member.

To add; we package 99.99% of our stuff with extra packing paper and wrap our components with foam wrap.

Our foam wrap would not handle the wrath of the S197 K-Member edges.

Again, we are looking into the issue and hope to have a resolution shortly.

Thanks!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've seen cardboard reinforced corners taped to items before boxing them up. Perhaps a couple small blocks taped to the contact points would allow you to use the same size box but give a bit more impact protection?

Nasty GT

Using stuff to do things
Reaction score
Mine arrived the same way. The K member itself tore numerous holes in the box. The powdercoating had a few small scratches but I could see it being alot worse depending on how the shipper handles the package.

The fault is probably a little packaging and alot handling by the shipper in my opinion.

I love my BMR parts and applaud them for acknowledging the issue. Also I understand them trying to keep the shipping cost at a minimum for the buyer.

As far as it being a non issue...I totally disagree. It doesn't matter where the part is installed. Just because it is not visible does not make it a non issue. BMR can correct me if I'm wrong but I am guessing the powdercoating proccess adds to the cost of the part.?.? If you pay for something it should not arrive "damaged".

It's a tough issue for the manufacturer because shipping costs are crazy enough these days.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Correct.

I agree 100%, but was not aware that it was as common as I now realize.

The issue is not trying to skimp, as we even wrap $40 parts....but when the edges of the K-Member are wrapped with something strong and thick enough to protect it, that "bulges" the box into that "Large Package" category.

Unfortunately UPS does not charge by the box size, they charge by the actual size.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back