Brake caliper bracket..

BLT2BTU

Reaction score
Is there an aluminum bracket that fits?? The stock ones seem like a ridiculous waste of weight

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Care to be a little more specific?

I can only guess you mean the caliper mounting bracket on the rear axle, or no?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Take em off. That 2lbs of weight is certainly a hinderance and besides, brakes are overrated!!!! Don't need no stinkin brakes!!!!

BLT2BTU

Reaction score
Lol ya brakes are for the timid. To elaborate.... 06 gt. Caliper mounting brackets.... That the calipers bolt to. Specifically the front.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Dang, you must have upgraded everything else on your car to care about caliper brackets weight

BLT2BTU

Reaction score
Yep! Well dang it I painted them and thought gees why aren't these aluminum.... So thought I'd ask

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Yep! Well dang it I painted them and thought gees why aren't these aluminum.... So thought I'd ask

Because aluminum's fatigue life is drastically shortened when you have repeated tension/compression WITH repeated heating and cooling. Ever wonder why fixed aluminum calipers are so massive? Probably has something to do with making the part nearly impossible to flex for better pad wear but for keeping the calipers from cracking when pushed hard. I can't imagine a floating caliper setup weighing less by using aluminum given the strength requirements necessary to seriously mitigate fatigue cycling.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Dang, you must have upgraded everything else on your car to care about caliper brackets weight
I'll translate this from sarcasm to English for ya.

Don't worry about such an insignificant weight savings where there are FAR bigger fish to fry on these cars.

BLT2BTU

Reaction score
I hear about the stresses, and such... Despite the sarcasm... Many cars have lighter designs... So was curious if anyone else thought of this with all the other "crazy" ways of lightening these things up

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I hear about the stresses, and such... Despite the sarcasm... Many cars have lighter designs... So was curious if anyone else thought of this with all the other "crazy" ways of lightening these things up

Anything is possible with enough money. But unless you're needing to shave off single digit pounds or maybe less for hundreds of dollars, I suggest you look elsewhere. Like your interior. Or windows. Or anywhere lol.

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Because aluminum's fatigue life is drastically shortened when you have repeated tension/compression WITH repeated heating and cooling. Ever wonder why fixed aluminum calipers are so massive? Probably has something to do with making the part nearly impossible to flex for better pad wear but for keeping the calipers from cracking when pushed hard. I can't imagine a floating caliper setup weighing less by using aluminum given the strength requirements necessary to seriously mitigate fatigue cycling.

^This. Unlike steel (ferrous materials), aluminium (non-ferrous materials) will fail after so many loading cycles even if kept within elastic deformation. Hard to say when without computer analysis, but i dont think its worth trying for a safety item such as brakes. Especially just to save marginal weight.

Just like someone else said, with enough time and money im sure you could engineer something lighter, stronger, and wont fail until a few million cycles, but there are better bangs for the buck.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
^This. Unlike steel (ferrous materials), aluminium (non-ferrous materials) will fail after so many loading cycles even if kept within elastic deformation. Hard to say when without computer analysis, but i dont think its worth trying for a safety item such as brakes. Especially just to save marginal weight.

Just like someone else said, with enough time and money im sure you could engineer something lighter, stronger, and wont fail until a few million cycles, but there are better bangs for the buck.

Just because steel or ferrous material is kept within the elastic deformation does not mean it is immune to fatigue failure. Steel is simply more resistant to fatigue than aluminum because of it's material properties.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score

Not only that but aluminum and steel will cause galvanic reaction and it will break, reason why.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Hit lightweight wheels, brake rotors and driveshaft first. Rotating mass is best place to lose by far

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Just because steel or ferrous material is kept within the elastic deformation does not mean it is immune to fatigue failure. Steel is simply more resistant to fatigue than aluminum because of it's material properties.

Your right, but an engineer is not going to design a part that sees a factor of saftey under 2. At these levels the material will be under its endurance limit and essentially be infinite in terms of practical application.

A nonferrous material does not have the luxury of a endurance limit and will always have a finite life in terms of cycles.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Your right, but an engineer is not going to design a part that sees a factor of saftey under 2. At these levels the material will be under its endurance limit and essentially be infinite in terms of practical application.

A nonferrous material does not have the luxury of a endurance limit and will always have a finite life in terms of cycles.
Lol, as an engineer for the biggest oilfield part supplier in the world, I can tell you that we do in fact use factors of safety well below 2. The lowest I've used is a 1.1, and that's a particular standard that's well established. Aerospace commonly used SFs below 1.5 in their applications to save weight.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Your right, but an engineer is not going to design a part that sees a factor of safety under 2. At these levels the material will be under its endurance limit and essentially be infinite in terms of practical application.

Steel is 2.76 times heavier vs AL.. for the same thickness. SS is non ferrous, it might make for a suitable material. Stuff like 120 ksi yield strength 4130 heat treated chromolly steel or 89 ksi DOM would probably work..and less of it required for the same strength. That's a 2 edged sword though. Typ, thinner+ stronger alloys will fatigue faster vs thicker+ weaker steel.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back