Brake System bolts

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I'm doing my agent 47 duct install this weekend so I was just glancing at the online shop manual for torque specs and the manual is recommending discarding many of the capiler-related fasteners and using new bolts.

I thought I'd ask here since you guys are playing with the brakes more than anyone else, are you following this recommendation?

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
They're fairly cheap, I'd replace them every once in a while if you're R&R'ing a lot and tracking the car. I've re-used mine a few times but plan to replace them next time around..figure it's cheap insurance for a mission-critical item.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
buy yourself some thread locker and you will be good although Stretch to yield bolts should be replaced .

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I reused them with some blue loctite. Wasn't able to get a torque wrench on the caliper backing plate bolts though, theres no room for the wrench.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the dust shields, just leave them off unless you've got a brake cooling system.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Hey Vapour,

I asked this question around at several Ford dealer shops (talked with the managers at places in California and the Midwest). The consensus I got was a chuckle. One guy told me if they followed those shop recommendations his whole warehouse inventory would be full of nothing but bolts. The concern seemed to be twofold: legal and practical. The legal is the usual corporate "cover-their-butts," and the practical was that the paste-on thread locker that the OEM bolts come with is usually a one time deal. So, the "fix" seemed to be (with all appropriate legal disclaimers) a tube of loctite (as Poe recommended).

On the other hand, I recall one member once doing a bolt test and found (with some variance) that on average the suspension/brake bolts can take three torque cycles safely before they are overstretched. That was just one man's careful experience.

I have to confess, I used mine for probably twice that before replacing them. I don't think as bolts they're fairly cheap (Ford prices are high), but as insurance they are definitely cheap.

Also, I had trouble with the torque wrench, but nothing that a medium extension couldn't fix.

Best,
-j

Reaction score
Wow. Even the brake bolts are tty? Jesus Christ. I've had the brakes off and on more times than I can count. Fuck that. And no, I haven't used thread locker on them. I replaced my front control arm hardware once as per recommendation, but that was like 80 bucks worth of bolts. This time I'm just using threadlocker and checking them when I have the wheels off. Which is often anyway..

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I use thread locker on everything now days . another thing I do,Get yourself a paint marker. Mark the bolt to the body with a simple line. When you have the wheels removed from the car you can do a quick visual to see if anything has moved.

Reaction score
Some of the hardware are flag bolts. (control arms) Dunno how easy it would be to find replacements elsewhere besides the dealer. Not 100 percent neccessary, I suppose. Anyone finding this stuff at rockauto.com or the like? I've got an exploded view of the front end with part numbers I should probably dig up. Some bolts where hard to find numbers for.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Some of the hardware are flag bolts. (control arms) Dunno how easy it would be to find replacements elsewhere besides the dealer. Not 100 percent neccessary, I suppose. Anyone finding this stuff at rockauto.com or the like? I've got an exploded view of the front end with part numbers I should probably dig up. Some bolts where hard to find numbers for.

I was going to try to find some "generic" bolts for the strut/knuckle, but they are kind of a hard size to find, at least through conventional means without having to buy a bulk quantity. They're 14mm I think, and somewhere around 110mm long (this was over a year ago and I'm going purely on memory though so...take it with a grain of salt). I found some lower grade coarse threaded bolts, but I felt better re-using the stock bolts than those. If someone finds a source for them, I'm all ears..

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Even the brake bolts are tty?..

I don't think a single bolt, save for the crank bolt, that Ford recommends you throw away is really a TTY bolt. They should be called CYA bolts.

The torque specs for many of them would come nowhere near stretching the bolt. A lot of the minor suspension fasteners have specs of 55lbs or 85lbs, that's nothing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back