Broken rearend, pictures inside

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
broke the car on the first of the month on a test and tune, finally tore into it today, here's the snapshot. stock 3.73's, (has the upgraded diff stock ,2011 brembo 3.73 package). I've beefed up the rear end with a che axle brace and the FRPP rearend girdle with bearing supports. I was running MT ET drag 28x10S 15's doing 5k RPM launches. I got more than I thought I would out of the rear end. the only thing I hadn't upgraded was the diff and the transmission. everything else is beefed up in the drive line. 1pc ds, and a McLeod RXT clutch.

here's the results:

notice the weight reduction mod to the pinion gear:
2013-11-12164122_zpsef085413.jpg

spider gears and carrier:
2013-11-12164157_zpsd9a4b1c8.jpg

other side of the carrier and spider gears:
2013-11-12164228_zps2bc1b29a.jpg

the valley of the dead spider gears:
2013-11-12164304_zpscecea5a6.jpg

only good thing about this is the axles are still good.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Mine was on it's way there when I swapped it for a trutrac... lol
5zguip.jpg

Don't bother getting another stock diff!

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
any friction modifier needed or is it just gear oil? I guess just gear oil since there are no clutches huh?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Broke it with the girdle and axle brace on the car?

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
yup, looked to be the spider gears gave out and took out the pinion gear with the shards or the other way around, but it's more likely the little gears gave out first.

happened at the line on launch. first run I launched at 4500 rpm and she bogged a little, so the last run I launched at 5000 rpm and side stepped the clutch and gave it gas at the same time. front end lifted and crunch, crunch, crunch, that's all she wrote.

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
yup, looked to be the spider gears gave out and took out the pinion gear with the shards or the other way around, but it's more likely the little gears gave out first.

happened at the line on launch. first run I launched at 4500 rpm and she bogged a little, so the last run I launched at 5000 rpm and side stepped the clutch and gave it gas at the same time. front end lifted and crunch, crunch, crunch, that's all she wrote.

Damn..... Generally deflection is what kills the spider gears. I would expect the girdle and brace would minimize it. On my 2011 I broke the driver side axle in a similar situation. When I pulled everything apart the differential was in-tact. Cleaned the housing out, replaced the axle and went on down the road. I was running the CHE brace and a girdle out back.

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
cool, that video could be a duplicate of my run when it broke. exactly how I described it. except mine was the diff. did you put the same stock axle back in it, or did you upgrade those?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
cool, that video could be a duplicate of my run when it broke. exactly how I described it. except mine was the diff. did you put the same stock axle back in it, or did you upgrade those?

Ten Factory axles. Not sure if they are really any better than stock. A month later I traded that car for my 2012 which is also running Ten Factory axles.
http://www.tenfactory.com/

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
finally got to tearing it apart since I got nothing better to do today:

2013-12-06144029_zps64561a87.jpg

axle gears, only one was damaged:
2013-12-06144036_zps5fff6488.jpg

chunk out off the diff:
2013-12-06144058_zps75d1e8ab.jpg

pinion gear tooth, crushed and broken:
2013-12-06144107_zps4e6ccd28.jpg

spider gear reassembled:
2013-12-06144122_zps7c7cff8f.jpg

apart:
2013-12-06144147_zpsb3b8ac5c.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
I got lucky and cought mine before major damage. I only had two tine chips from one spider gear and lots of hairline cracks. Yup it probably would have shattered like yours the next time i launched it at 6,000. Turns out mine was caused by a bent axle housing. I ordered a detroit locker and I'm straightening my axle housing. I will be welding my axle tubes and installing a CHE brace as well.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ugh. I don't know why I look at these threads. Axle carnage pics are as bad as that old "faces of death" website was. The pics make my stomach turn.

:yuck:

Oh well, opportunity for upgrades I guess! So it seems like the cool kids are using Truetrac diffs? Is that a drag strip thing, or will it work well for cornering too?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I know plenty of guys that go to the track with a trutrac for years now.
Mines been holding up fine as well. I think I've only ever heard of 2 incidents where a truetrac broke in a mustang.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I know plenty of guys that go to the track with a trutrac for years now.
Mines been holding up fine as well. I think I've only ever heard of 2 incidents where a truetrac broke in a mustang.

You mean they're running open track, like roadcourse? If so, I should probably go ahead and order the diff before I pull the axle housing to have the tubes welded. Might as well upgrade the diff while the guts are out, right?

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
Do some more research before you buy a truetrac for drag racing. They are definitely not made for drag racing although alot of guys use them for it and they do last longer than stock differentials. Truetracs are really a better all around differential made for street and road racing. If you plan on drag racing seriously then you will want a detroit locker like I bought.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back