Broken rocker arm/follower

kina

Reaction score
I recently had a rocker arm/follower break off inside the passenger side head. I took it to a local Ford dealer. When they openerocker Arm was there and the Cam was scored. they removed the parts for that valve and I was able to drive the car home, wouldn't even know there was a problem.
The dealer says the only fix is a new engine. That metal pieces will turn up sooner or later and create a big problem.
Is replacing the Cams, Rocker Arms and Adjusters on both sides a good repair for this problem ?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
for this problem ?
You didn’t say how many miles are on the engine. You could replace the cams, followers, lash adjusters and timing set. Removing the front cover gives access for removing chunks from the oil pan. Anything the oil pump sucked up should be caught in the oil filter but it would have gone through the pump first so replacing the oil pump is not a bad idea. Still cheaper than a new engine.

kina

Reaction score
Car is a 2010 with 60,000 miles. Thanks for the reply.

GriffX

Reaction score
The fordtechmakuloco channel on YouT has frequent rocker failure problems. Usually it seems not to be a catastrophic problem?

Last edited:

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
frequent rocker failure
Good point. Broken followers have been reported here a few times as well. The OP made it sound like the dealership removed the broken parts but did not replace them. left one valve nonfunctional. I wander why they did that. You could always drain the oil and run a magnetic prob around the bottom of the oil pan through the drain hole. Install new oil and filter, replace the broken parts and cams if damaged. I would always be bothered by what may have gone through the oil pump. Cut the filter open and have a look.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any big chunks would be caught by the oil pump pickup screen so other than some smaller stuff messing up the inside of the oil pump, there is not too much to worry about.

Good opportunity to step up to the better melling high volume pump.

The next thing to look for would be scoring of the cam caps. If they are scored, there is a bearing kit that can be used that a better DIY enthusiast could do themselves.

Definitely not worth throwing the motor away at this point.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I recently had a rocker arm/follower break off inside the passenger side head. I took it to a local Ford dealer. When they open rocker Arm was there and the Cam was scored. they removed the parts for that valve and I was able to drive the car home, wouldn't even know there was a problem.
The dealer says the only fix is a new engine. That metal pieces will turn up sooner or later and create a big problem.
Is replacing the Cams, Rocker Arms and Adjusters on both sides a good repair for this problem ?

Trust the stealerships to always find the most expensive solution to any problem. That's why I stay far away from them!
Your engine is still very much salvageable, and any competent mechanic with a lift can perform the necessary repairs. I suggest you buy the following parts at the bare minimum:

1. Ford Performance Camshaft Drive Kit: M-6004-463V.

2. Ford Performance Rocker Arm Lash Adjuster Kit: M-6529-3V.

3. OEM '13-'14 Shelby GT500 high pressure oil pump (Ford part no. DR3Z6600A).

4. New OEM right side camshaft or upgrade to pair of aftermarket cams.

5. Viton valve stem seals. You could use this opportunity to upgrade the valve springs e.g. PAC-1233 since the OEM units would need to be removed to replace the valve stem seals.

The oil pan should preferably be removed to inspect the oil pump pickup screen and, if necessary, replace the pickup with a new OEM unit (Ford part no. 4R3Z6622AA) in addition to the oil pump itself. The oil pan can then be cleaned to remove any metal flakes or other debris.
If the cam journal caps on the passenger side head are scored, you have three options:

1. Have the cam journals/caps machined and install Dura-Bond FA-13R cam bearings.

2. Replace the head with a good used or new OEM unit.

3. Replace both heads with CNC ported heads, sending your existing heads as a core exchange. They'll come with new valve stem seals and usually also with upgraded valve springs anyway so that would save you part no.5 listed above.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Someone please make this a sticky! This appears to be a common issue, so this info needs to be easily accessible.

Also, if anyone has a play-by-play instructions on how to do this it would be great.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back