budget drag brakes?

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
To do econo vented rotor for $50 , I swapped to early S197 V-6 brakes, by using V-6 caliper brackets (free in trade for GT brackets), my calipers (same ones on V-6 and GT), cheap $50/pair Ebay drilled/vented V-6 front rotors (V-6 rotors are smaller diameter=lighter, drilled=less), plus I put a resurface cut on them (you could reduce diameter by 1/4" or so also, down to pad wear area). Then, I took used/worn street brake pads (free) that were down to near minimum (less material=lighter, still safe). Basically, you pay $50 and may save a few pounds per side, but MOST IMPORTANT your aren't sacrificing safety (you have V-6 braking performance, which is still better than all previous model Mustang GT braking).

Also I found that a cool way to gain caliper-to-wheel clearance is to run the worn to near minimum brake pad on the outside and use a new pad on the inside. The caliper is pulled in all the way and completely safe.

In all fairness to Fox-body, SN95 guys and almost every disc brake car before that, you already have light brakes in the front! Pick up an aluminum caliper from an S197 and then pick up an iron one from a Fox body (or any other year from any other manufacturer).

So many other places to save weight on an S197. If you are drag-only, drag brakes are fine, but if you drive on the street, take weight off elsewhere.

Last edited:

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I paid like $580 for Aerospace pro street brakes. They are vented and offer great stopping for a street car with close to a 30lb weight savings. Id run a set in the rear as well, but they will not clear double beadlocks

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I paid like $580 for Aerospace pro street brakes. They are vented and offer great stopping for a street car with close to a 30lb weight savings. Id run a set in the rear as well, but they will not clear double beadlocks

Do they retain the parking brake?

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Do they retain the parking brake?

No, sir.

I don't know of any that do. I've thought about making some custom rears that have an extra cable actuated caliper to keep the car "legal" for those guys in inspection states.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
No, sir.

I don't know of any that do. I've thought about making some custom rears that have an extra cable actuated caliper to keep the car "legal" for those guys in inspection states.

That is my understanding as well.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
If I make a set to clear the barrel and lock ring of a double locking rim, i'll be sure to offer it with a parking brake. Hopefully I will get off my ass and make something soon.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back