Building inspection...why bother?

sajesak

Reaction score
We did a building and pest inspection prior to buying our new home, and the report neglected to mention...

1. That asbestos was in the bathroom removable ceiling panels (it ticked the NO box for "does the property contain asbestos")

2. That all the under sink pipework was about to burst due to age, and was in desperate need of replacement

3. That there was evidence of numerous poos from either a mouse, cockroaches or geckos (no pests noted)

4. That the front door is apparently not acceptable by building standards, with a 5cm gap underneath

What is the point of paying hundreds for such a report!?

sajesak

Reaction score
We did a building and pest inspection prior to buying our new home, and the report neglected to mention...

1. That asbestos was in the bathroom removable ceiling panels (it ticked the NO box for "does the property contain asbestos")

2. That all the under sink pipework was about to burst due to age, and was in desperate need of replacement

3. That there was evidence of numerous poos from either a mouse, cockroaches or geckos (no pests noted)

4. That the front door is apparently not acceptable by building inspections Perth standards, with a 5cm gap underneath

What is the point of paying hundreds for such a report!?
thanks in advance for any help

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Inspection is to protect the buyer and give you the ability to negotiate
The....'inspection' was 100% flawed. 5cm = 50mm = a whopping 2". I would not pay the pricks a dime for the...'inspection'. If he still wants to buy it, fine, just knock a TON of money off the price.
I'm assuming he already bought the home...and discovered all the defects by himself...after the fact. If the inspection outfit doesn't refund your money (and also a bunch more for the repairs).. I would either proceed with legal action. And / or make their name mud. You can't hide anything anymore.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
please be more careful where you post, moved, not a car topic.

I've been tolerant of your continued posting of non-mustang topics, please do not make me reconsider that decision

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I think home inspections are worthless. The doofus who inspected our home failed to note massive leaks from the master bathroom. I think it's just a pointless drill that benefits realtors and banks. I wouldn't rely on one.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
A few inspectors are extremely good, but that is rare. We had one in Vancouver years ago...who the real estate agents all hated with a passion. They called him... "Dr death". So he got "Dr Death" custom plates on his vehicle. He found loads of problems, leaks, screwups, non standard electrical wiring, moisture, mold, obvious renovations not done with a building permit on record. Shoddy construction, you name it. The real estate agents just cringed when the prospective buyer told his real estate agent that...."Dr death" was enroute to the home. Real estate agent of course had the keys to let him in.

The co I had was superb. My real estate agent was seething while my inspector was telling me what is good, what is bad, what needs repaired asap, what needs to be looked at within 3-5 yrs... and how much to knock the asking price down. Now you would think my real estate agent would be happy, and would negotiate a lower price on my behalf. Nope, she was pissed simply cuz she didn't get her quick sale, and make a killing on the real estate commission. She would actually have to do her job.

In some provinces, like here in BC, you don't have to be licensed to be a ....'building inspector'. Anybody can be a ...'building inspector'. Tread carefully when seeking one out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back