building up the rear end?

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
So iv been waiting to get my car out of the shop finally to start working on the 8.8, iv been doin research the last couple months but couldn't find what I was looking for. The cars making just shy of 700 rwhp and about 610 rwtq but we will be turning it up once I get the 4r70w this fall, so I need to beef it up to handle that power and be ok to drive on the streets.

These are the parts I been looking into
- Detroit true track
- Moser 31 spline axles/strange
- c clip eliminators
- bearing kit+ oil
- weld axle tubes
-ford racing diff cover

Am I missing anything? Or is there a better route I could go? Parts wise?
And I really don't want to switch over to a 9" I'd like to stay with the 8.8

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I've heard several times before the true trac can't handle numerous hard launches

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah not sure about a true trac for your power level. My first one cracked with less than 3k miles. Got it replaced and we shall see how it lasts. I truly think mine was a defect as my power level isn't high at all, 425 HP. With your power I would think a Detroit locker would be better.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
i would just put the WAVETRAC, i out a trutrac and from day 1 i have clunking cooming from the rear end on decel. After a lot of research and calling the trutrac company they told me they do make noise some times and is normal. Screw trutrac....

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Locker has been working great for me and no, it's not like running a spool. When you are off the throttle the rear wheels will be unlocked. It is a bit noisy/clunky when you have a stick but with an auto and converter it works nicely.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
How loud is it? Does it chirp the tires when turning like the spools?

Also should I run the c clip eliminators or not? Iv read on a couple threads they cause you to leak oil out of the diff.I do plan on running it pretty hard at the track, my goal is low 10's high 9's

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
Check reviews on wave trac for our cars. Several guys here broke them with less than power than you have. I have a buddy who has broke one personally with pretty little use

rayS197

Reaction score
Looks like you have everything covered. Only thing you could add to reduce flex and aid the in axle rotation would be the CHE Axle Brace.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
I decided to go with 9" housing ends instead of the c-clip eliminators. I have seen a few c-clip eliminators have issues with leaks and fittment. If you're removing the rear end to weld the tubes, then half of the work to do 9" ends is being done anyway. I went with the Wavetrac and like it so far. I drag race and do open track events and it works well at both.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Decisions decisions ...so I was looking into the jpc axle brace u gotta weld on is the che axle brace pretty much the same thing? I wanna knock this out of the way and get everything I need to keep from having to do things twice even if it costs more.

So while everything is apart Il add a couple things to the list
- weld on the bmr relocation brackets
- che axle brace
- Detroit locker?

Also can I reuse my frpp 4.10 gears? I have never had the car on slicks or D/r's and they only have about 12,000 miles on them with about 40 passes down the 1/4

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I am going to buck the norm here and say that the Detroit Locker will not be as forgiving around corners as the Tru Trac on the street. If the car is mainly street driven, go with the Tru Trac and the parts in your original plan. Welding the axles tubes, relocation brackets is also a good idea. The street is more forgiving than the track. I personally have not had an issue making 700+rwhp with similar parts in my 8.8. The gears can be reused.

Last edited:

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
I am going to buck the norm here and say that the Detroit Locker will not be as forgiving around corners as the Tru Trac on the street. If the car is mainly street driven, go with the Tru Trac and the parts in your original plan. Welding the axles tubes, relocation brackets is also a good idea. The street is more forgiving than the track. I personally have not had an issue making 700+rwhp with similar parts in my 8.8. The gears can be reused.

Agreed....but the OP sounded more interested in what would hold up the best at the drag strip.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Decisions decisions ...so I was looking into the jpc axle brace u gotta weld on is the che axle brace pretty much the same thing? I wanna knock this out of the way and get everything I need to keep from having to do things twice even if it costs more.

So while everything is apart Il add a couple things to the list
- weld on the bmr relocation brackets
- che axle brace
- Detroit locker?

Also can I reuse my frpp 4.10 gears? I have never had the car on slicks or D/r's and they only have about 12,000 miles on them with about 40 passes down the 1/4

CHE Brace doesn't require welding--only drilling two holes. CHE brace won't fit with some relocation brackets though--such as the BMR ones.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Ok its a tough choice between the locker and true track, I think I'm gunna have to go with the true track and hope for the best, I really don't want the hop when I take corners, and 2 of my buddies seem fine with them at 700 rwhp, as for the axle brace Il have to go with the jpc ones since I'm running bmr relocation brackets

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
From actual experience, the Strange C-clip elim kit works fine with no leaks if assembled properly. The True-trac I had in my car lasted for hundreds+ hard launches and was very quiet. I switched it out when I went with a spool to drop rot weight.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
This is a very good read for me since my car is making very similar power and am planning on a suspension and drivetrain build up this winter. Can someone please explain to me the what is and the reason for the c clip elimination?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Technically the c-clip eliminator is more for cars with drum brakes...they are axle retainers so if you were to break an axle it won't come out of the axle tube. Since our cars have disk brakes they will hold in the axle if it breaks but to be legal in the 10's you are supposed to have c-clip elims or 9" ends.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back