Burping cooling system with no heater

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, really Random question. What’s the best way to fully burp a cooling system when you have a heater core, but can’t turn it on?

I’ve removed my a/c and everything else but left the heater core in. So I’m curious if it’s possible to fully bleed the system somehow

07 Boss

Reaction score
Did you bypass the heater core or is there still coolant flowing through it?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
The system is designed to purge itself, unless you have done some high point routing with your hoses or left a chunk of air in the system from draining the block, all you should need to do is run the car with the reservoir cap off. Once the car gets warm enough for the T-stat to open, the system will burp itself. I do not recommend using an aftermarket "hose feed" setup for flushing/purging. Hoses fed from household supply are running at 35-45psi sometimes higher, this can damage internal seals, and the engine is meant to be warm when the coolant system is under pressure. System pressure should be about 14-16psi tops.

It should not matter whether you can operate the heater or not. The coolant will still flow through the heater core. Alternatively, if you aren't going to ever use the heater, you can bypass the heater core by connecting the 2 hoses going to the firewall. I also recommend only using distilled water and coolant in your coolant system, but this is just personal preference. Hose water will do the job, distilled water will keep the system cleaner and not rust/wear on the internal passages/gaskets.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Did you bypass the heater core or is there still coolant flowing through it?

Still has coolant flowing through.
The system is designed to purge itself, unless you have done some high point routing with your hoses or left a chunk of air in the system from draining the block, all you should need to do is run the car with the reservoir cap off. Once the car gets warm enough for the T-stat to open, the system will burp itself. I do not recommend using an aftermarket "hose feed" setup for flushing/purging. Hoses fed from household supply are running at 35-45psi sometimes higher, this can damage internal seals, and the engine is meant to be warm when the coolant system is under pressure. System pressure should be about 14-16psi tops.

It should not matter whether you can operate the heater or not. The coolant will still flow through the heater core. Alternatively, if you aren't going to ever use the heater, you can bypass the heater core by connecting the 2 hoses going to the firewall. I also recommend only using distilled water and coolant in your coolant system, but this is just personal preference. Hose water will do the job, distilled water will keep the system cleaner and not rust/wear on the internal passages/gaskets.

Thank you for the info, everywhere I’ve read has said “make sure to turn the heater on” ect. To properly burp a cooling system. I wasn’t sure if it would work fine or not

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Not that the "leave heater on" info applies to our cars, but you removed the controls too?

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Not that the "leave heater on" info applies to our cars, but you removed the controls too?

Yes I did, I removed a few parts of the dash.

Also another question. After my last event where the engine was ran very hard I was losing almost half of the water that was in my coolant tank. No leaks anywhere from any hoses or anything. But I did notice a water trail pulling it on and off the trailer and that’s it

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Yes I did, I removed a few parts of the dash.

Also another question. After my last event where the engine was ran very hard I was losing almost half of the water that was in my coolant tank. No leaks anywhere from any hoses or anything. But I did notice a water trail pulling it on and off the trailer and that’s it
Pressure test it for leaks, also have a block test preformed to check the head gaskets

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
My original thought was that it could be a head gasket and the rocking motion of loading it/unloading it from the trailer caused it to spew some water out? But also the car never got hotter than 220f running continuously at high rpm

Back