Bye bye door handles, gas tank lid, truck key & emblem

mygt500

Stangpede Co-Captain Michigan Chapter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Blacknite- I will send pics tonight! Love the shaved door handles and the polishing of the aluminum grill (I might have to do that).... I will hold judgment on the filler until the car is done! peace.....

blacknlte

Reaction score
Blacknite- I will send pics tonight! Love the shaved door handles and the polishing of the aluminum grill (I might have to do that).... I will hold judgment on the filler until the car is done! peace.....

Cool thanks again !

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow that is amazing!!!! IMO, I'm not to fond of the gas cap, but the rest is awesome! I'm getting rid of my GT emblems, antenna, rear emblem, trunk key hole, 3rd brake light, and decklid holes on my car! My only problem is that it is quite expensive...I really want to shave the door handles, but I've been quite skeptical of it, and the whole process on getting the door to open, and of course the price! Did you do all of this yourself?

blacknlte

Reaction score
Wow that is amazing!!!! IMO, I'm not to fond of the gas cap, but the rest is awesome! I'm getting rid of my GT emblems, antenna, rear emblem, trunk key hole, 3rd brake light, and decklid holes on my car! My only problem is that it is quite expensive...I really want to shave the door handles, but I've been quite skeptical of it, and the whole process on getting the door to open, and of course the price! Did you do all of this yourself?

Yes, ive done all the work myself. Its fairly easy if you can use a wire welder and its a good one. If not have some one do it. The doors and gas cap, i bought a door skin and cut a insert for it to match the body line. (less body work later)

As for getting the doors to open, its very simple. All you need is 2 door solenoid, mount them on the inside at the bottom of the door. Then run the wire rope to the latch that was conected to the door handle rod. Ground the solenoid and run a power wire to it from the keyless entry wire that unlocks the door when you push the remote. Power hits the solenoid and pull down on the door latch and unlocks the door. Then you have 2 choices, either install door poppers or just use you finger to open the door.

The way im doing it is to installing one of the truck area springs on the lower half of the door so it applies a small amount of pressure outwards and opens the door without having to worry about it popping open and hitting something beside it.

When i get back home from work to finish all the lose ends up ill take pics of the set up and some short vids of how it all works

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, ive done all the work myself. Its fairly easy if you can use a wire welder and its a good one. If not have some one do it. The doors and gas cap, i bought a door skin and cut a insert for it to match the body line. (less body work later)

As for getting the doors to open, its very simple. All you need is 2 door solenoid, mount them on the inside at the bottom of the door. Then run the wire rope to the latch that was conected to the door handle rod. Ground the solenoid and run a power wire to it from the keyless entry wire that unlocks the door when you push the remote. Power hits the solenoid and pull down on the door latch and unlocks the door. Then you have 2 choices, either install door poppers or just use you finger to open the door.

The way im doing it is to installing one of the truck area springs on the lower half of the door so it applies a small amount of pressure outwards and opens the door without having to worry about it popping open and hitting something beside it.

When i get back home from work to finish all the lose ends up ill take pics of the set up and some short vids of how it all works

That is awesome! I'm pretty excited to see these pics, and the vid of your doors! Approx how much money do you have invested in it? Of course, you've done the work, so that knocks out quite a bit...

Also, do you do body repair work as a profession? I'm still looking at a solid shop to do all my work, and I can't come down to anything.

blacknlte

Reaction score
That is awesome! I'm pretty excited to see these pics, and the vid of your doors! Approx how much money do you have invested in it? Of course, you've done the work, so that knocks out quite a bit...

Also, do you do body repair work as a profession? I'm still looking at a solid shop to do all my work, and I can't come down to anything.

Money invested is about $200 for the door skin (new from ford) and $50 for the solenoids (summit) all the rest is just my time.

No i dont do it as a profession, i just have a nich for picking things up pretty quick, also i talked to another guy on another board about how he went about doing his and got what to do and not and what to watch out for.

Also you have to dumby the inside door rod that you see that moves up and down cause its no longer connected to the lock unlock system. Plus this way you never have to worry about locking your car cause there is no locks, door handles, or rods to be able to open the door. Ive also added two back up systems, one is a battery back up that come active if it sees that the car battery dies it will power the solenoids and a back up for it. A cable connected to the truck kidnapped escape handle that will open the truck if everything completey dies.

As for a price if a shop does it..... let just say, you get what you pay for. Cheap price, bad end results. High price, be done right the first time. Just call and shop around and look at the shops work and talk to past customers to!!

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know, when I think about it, the gas cap would look pretty sick if it was more low profile. Keep the location, but possibly find something different for the "puffy" part.

blacknlte

Reaction score
Any pics yet!!!!??!!

nope just got back into town yesterday, will be working on the car tomorrow to finish it off so i can get it to the body/paint guy.

pics will be here this same time tomorrow, with a small video!

Last edited:

blacknlte

Reaction score
First 2 pics are of the solenoid that is mounted at the bottom of the door (best place that stays clear from everything)

The 3-4 are small hoops for the wire rope to travel on and to stay clear of the window

The 5th one is where the rope is attached to the door lock latch (where the door handle rod was)

6th one is the truck area spring that i mounted on the lower left that applys the small amount of pressure that opens the door

7th one is the power wire that goes to the solenoid from the keyless entry system that pulls the solenoid when you hit the unlock button

l_55a20e4c70ba4ce88cd7dd5fc0270e46.jpg

l_cf9cd9fb490840edbd73443dc621d731.jpg

l_7b8a5e4225724a1184aefd9867b161cd.jpg

l_755e5d0d5f444877b389c63e6ec4ee54.jpg

l_68add5b27d56477e8562650f179e900d.jpg

l_1edc26f6307c418d82a8cd8dc49918cf.jpg

l_2b42ddf010364bf78c9ba38075531dcc.jpg

Last edited:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dude...I just got this awkward feeling inside and got this weird shit all over my damn laptop!!!!!!!!

:jerkoff::jerkoff:....no hands though!

ANYWAYS, that is freaking sick! I have got to get that done to my car! Odessa huh........I happen to live in Texas....lol! I can't wait to see the finished look of the door! I'm excited about that! Thanks for the vid and pics too!!!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back