Caliper painting kit review

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I had to uninstall my caliper covers (soon will be for sale) so I thought I'd paint the calipers, because they just didn't look right bland to me. I bought a duplicolor caliper painting kit from O'reilys. It was 20 bucks and come with "all you need for 4 caliper".
y2u6udaj.jpg
it came with a can of brake cleaner, some caliper paint, 20ft roll of tape, a brush and a stir stick.
udetave5.jpg
I starter by cleaning my EXTREMELY dirty caliper. So dirty it took me about 30 minutes to get one satisfyingly clean..
a9a3eqy4.jpg
and after the cleaning
6uqunyje.jpg
then I taped some things off. I learned really quick that the tape wasn't worth the box it came in.. Considering there was wheel regimens and brake cleaner, I do understand why to an extent. But this stuff wouldn't stick to itself hardly. The kit is a paint brush kit not a spray can paint kit.. So I didn't really do much taping or anything at all besides cover the rotors incase of drops of paint got on my pretty rotors.
6a2aguva.jpg
I then done my first good coat. I learned pretty fast that it's hard to get the brush strokes out so a second coat was a must for a decent look. The paint dries kinda fast so when you would go over places again to touch up, it would start to bunch up and look ugly. Box says to wait no more than 20 minutes in between coats or you'd be forced to wait 5 days. It came out looking really good and was kinda surprised by that for 20 dollars and a very inpatient 21 year old behind the brush.. You can be really accurate with a steady hand and get pretty well everything visible. Here's the finish product.
2yte6ety.jpg
amanyva5.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seriously.... In Tech?

This is soooo the wrong forum for you.......

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Techs guidelines (as stated very visibly on my screen) are hands on, does it help, opinionative. This is a how to and opinion on the kit and how to kinda of universally paint calipers. What the heck isn't tech about that, I'll ask again.

Last edited:

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you drunk? I am, and you are sorta making sense...and that is a HUGE warning sign.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Are you drunk? I am, and you are sorta making sense...and that is a HUGE warning sign.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Obviously this should have gone in the pictures/videos section...since there are pictures. Or, you could have started a build thread leading up to this climax. You could have pulled one wheel off at a time over the period of a month and had us guess what you were doing and title the thread "Sex change for the beast."

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
Techs guidelines (as stated very visibly on my screen) are hands on, does it help, opinionative. This is a how to and opinion on the kit and how to kinda of universally paint calipers. What the heck isn't tech about that, I'll ask again.

I would not ignore the words written by the RED guys, or give them flack. They are like There and have big as hammers. (Ban hammer) We do not flood our tech section with shit that should be on the corral.

Much like the bible, if it's in red, you better listen.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
I still don't have the patience to paint my calipers. I'm happy with my mgp covers. Best $15 ever spent on eBay.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Plus those tend to overheat the calipers from what I've read...
Never heard that. The MGP ones just cover the front of the caliper, not the whole thing. My buddy has had them on his GTO for years. They actually look pretty good minus the fake screws they put on them.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Just remember this about the tech sections. If you aren't turning wrenches, taking your tires off doesn't count, doing some serious mechanics work, then don't post it in this section. Batteries do not count either unless you're moving yours to the trunk and even then, personally, I'd post it somewhere else just because it's a friggin battery.

In this section, you see engine tear downs and rebuilds, blower/turbo installs, clutch replacements, trans removal/installs, camshaft removals, so on and so forth.

If you ever wonder if something belongs in the Tech section, post it in a different section and a Mod/Admin will move it to the Tech section. I think I've seen that done ONCE.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I had the caliper covers and loved them. Give me clearance issues on the rear but I had to take the spacers off so I took the covers off too. The paint is a great alternative and I'd recommend it to anybody. Great kit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back