Cam bearing ideas

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
A few years ago I rebuild the valve train and now after a crankshaft issue I am doing a full engine rebuild. When I did the valve train I noticed some groves in the cam bearings. And to my knowledge you can not replace them. Does anyone know any routes to get this issue fixed. Do I just need new heads? If so where do you recommend getting them? Thanks

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are a few shops that line bore the heads and use an actual bearing.

Here is a youtube video of the process

CBright199

Reaction score
You can either do cam bearings (Durabond FA-13R/L) or have billet cam caps installed and centerline rebored. TKM just recently did the latter to my heads. But unless you have an expensive set of heads (ported, etc) it’s likely cheaper to just buy a new set. 9343B34C-CAF6-4003-92CE-BF19B2623ADF.png

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
Where would the best place be to get a new set. All the ones I find are either used or remans I’ve never heard of

CBright199

Reaction score
Where would the best place be to get a new set. All the ones I find are either used or remans I’ve never heard of
TKM and MMR make the billet caps. You can’t buy oem caps by themselves as they all have to be line honed together. You’ll need to either call TKM or MMR and speak to them about it. Personally I’d recommend TKM, they do killer work and are honest dudes, I wouldn’t let MMR’s machine shop air up my tires. Just my .02 though

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
Thank you for both the head and cam cap recommendations. I’m gonna be rebuilding the engine in a few weeks. It’s been about 2 years since I did valve train work and noticed my cam journals are worn bad. I’m hoping I remembered wrong and they’re fine but I’ll probably be ordering the new set from mod max.

whitmanink

Reaction score
Thank you for both the head and cam cap recommendations. I’m gonna be rebuilding the engine in a few weeks. It’s been about 2 years since I did valve train work and noticed my cam journals are worn bad. I’m hoping I remembered wrong and they’re fine but I’ll probably be ordering the new set from mod max.

if u find my thread where my cam caps were pretty scorned,, i used them anyways with new cams,,, after 1200 miles when the valve dropped , when i took the new cams out ,, they were untouched ,, so take that for what you will ,, and a few of the scratches were more than finger nail deep on the caps

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back